PDA

View Full Version : New To Alarms. Need Info On Viper Install

mixtape
07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey guys,

I have a fully loaded 1998 Ford Contour that is getting a sweet audio upgrade next month. I live in a fairly nice town but I am looking into getting a Viper 5901 alarm just in case. I know a decent deal about car audio, though car alarms are Greek to me . Here are my questions:

1) Besides from the alarm itself, what else do I need? Is a Ford Contour specific wiring harness or "module" required? Or better yet, available? If this is anything like installing custom car audio, I would assume sore wiring adapters may be necessary.

2) My car has something called PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System). Without having to leave a key in the car, how can I get a remote start to work? I just think it's silly to leave a key in the car that you're trying so hard to protect . A friend of mine suggested using a 1100F PATS bypass module. Has anyone used this? Is it capable with the Viper 5901?

2) I want my car to say "Viper Armed." I believe I need a voice add on for that. What is the difference between the 516L and the 516U voice units?

3) What do you think about the Audio Glass Break Sensor 506T? They seem to be fairly cheap on ebay. Can I use both the voice add on unit and the audio glass sensor? How many add ons can I use on one Viper 5901?

4) What is the average install price for the alarm, the voice add on, PATS bypass, and the glass break sensor?

5) I believe that there is an AUX button on the Viper remote. Does this mean that I can not only start my car, but also turn on an auxiliary device too? I was considering adding some white under body neon-like LEDs lights under the car to guide/light-up around the car at night. I would love for when I hit that button, the white LEDs come on (of course I'd need them off when the car is actually on to avoid a ticket). I know I'm getting carried away but that would be a nice feature. All in one remote :).

Thanks so much guys. I hope to have my Contour secured in no time.

Here's a pic I found off Google of what the white LED's would look like:
This picture pertains to question 5.
http://www.fordf150.net/images/articles/led/19final.jpg

I think this would be great when approaching my car at night.

mixtape
07-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Also, will the trunk be protected? That's the source of most of the goodies :).

mendon99
07-09-2009, 10:50 AM
First off, I wouldn't plan on doing this yourself if you have zero experience installing alarms/rs'. I'd take it to a reputable, authorized directed dealer, or a local guy WITH experience.

1 + 2)Other than the alarm, if you want the RS to work you are probably going need a bypass. You don't have to use a keybox, you can use a PKALL, or a 555f bypass. The 1100f may work as well, if you can find one. Other than that, if/when you take it to a shop, make sure you mention everything you want completed with the install, ie trunk pop, trunk protection, hood pin, any EXTRA accessories you want to add (glass, tilt, voice mod). some shops may charge extra for this (trunk or hood), and if you don't say something they may default to not adding it.

2)It looks to me that the 516L is just a replacement for the 516U. Other than that they look the same, shy of language differences (they both do English tho if you want pre programmed) I could be wrong here, not sure someone else can chime in

3)You can add as many sensors as you want. A properly set shock sensor (comes with alarm) should trip when glass breaks, but if you're that paranoid, glass break sensors work well as well. a Prox sensor can be added if you're SUPER paranoid, just be aware that they false when it rains, often.

4)At a reputable shop you could easily pay anywhere from 600-1000 for that alarm/rs with all those add ons. It can be done for less if you find a experienced local guy looking to make a buck, or just shop around.

5)I think the 5901 comes with at least 4 aux outputs, and yes, they can trigger anything you want. Keep in mind tho that everything you add is going to add to the price of the install so be prepared.

thaster
07-09-2009, 10:58 AM
i suggest you add a backup battery and some mini piezo sirens for your interior. also tell the installer that you want your car horn to sound too when the alarm goes off.

mixtape
07-09-2009, 05:58 PM
What is the difference between the PKALL, 555f, and the 1100f?

I have decided to let a shop do the install, but I would like to buy all the parts prior to going. I feel it would be cheaper to get them from eBay or somewhere used for much less than what the shop would charge.

How good is the shock sensor that comes with the alarm? I want great protection but I can't have false alarms either. I can't run outside during work hours multiple times a day to check the car :(.

The 5901 comes with 4 aux outputs?? I don't even have that many devices to turn on :laugh:.

Thank you for clarifying the 516L and 516U differences. Are the voices different by any chance?

So the trunk is not protected by the 5901 innately? An additional add on is necessary? What add on protects the trunk?

mendon99
07-15-2009, 09:03 PM
What is the difference between the PKALL, 555f, and the 1100f?

I have decided to let a shop do the install, but I would like to buy all the parts prior to going. I feel it would be cheaper to get them from eBay or somewhere used for much less than what the shop would charge.

How good is the shock sensor that comes with the alarm? I want great protection but I can't have false alarms either. I can't run outside during work hours multiple times a day to check the car :(.

The 5901 comes with 4 aux outputs?? I don't even have that many devices to turn on :laugh:.

Thank you for clarifying the 516L and 516U differences. Are the voices different by any chance?

So the trunk is not protected by the 5901 innately? An additional add on is necessary? What add on protects the trunk?

Don't worry about the difference, they'll all work. Have the shop sell you the cheapest one.

If you don't use the authorized shop's equipment you will lose the DEI warranty. This can very easily bite you in the ***, ESPECIALLY since you've chosen the 5901, a unit that is known for some issues.. I'd highly reccomend just using their equipment. The last thing you want is a brain failure and you to be out hundreds of dollars so you can save a quick buck from the getgo.

the stock shock sensor is pretty decent. It does what it is designed to do. As for the prox sensor failing in the rain (if you have them put one in), just have them wire the power to it through a switch that is accesable to you. That way you can just shut it off if it rains, or have it wired through an AUX line on the alarm you can power it on and off at will.

Not exactly certain on the voice makers, those stopped selling wildly back in the late 80s/early 90s, lol

The alarm has a trunk pop wire, as well as a trunk PIN wire - one physically opens the trunk and the other detects when the trunk is open (tripping your alarm if armed) or if disarmed, it just shows on the remote screen that its open.

nuugen
08-16-2009, 05:57 PM
The 516L has a microphone and you can record your own specific messages for up to 4 input/outputs on the alarm--arm/disarm/warn/full trigger..Pretty hilarious to install and use..The 516u is a universal unit that can be added to any alarm, and the 516m is a DEI-only piece that is controlled by plugging into the ESP2 port on the brain..
The 5901 has 4 ext outputs that can be configured to validity, latch, latch reset w/ignition on, and timed 1-90 seconds..I would put the undercar lights on one of the outputs and set it to timed, so that they won't stay stay on and drain the battery.
On the bypass q, there aren't too many 1100f's left out there, the 555f and the PKALL are plentiful, and you can also use an XK04(my fav)...Since your car is a 1998, you will need to bring two ignition keys at the time of install to program the bypass..
I normally only do prox sensors on convertibles or marine apps..If you must have it then wire it to a latch output so you can turn it on/off by remote..Nothing more annoying than a false alarm, it gives security systems a bad name everywhere, so make sure your installer sets everything properly..I have customers coming in telling me "I want it so sensitive it picks up an ant's fart from China"...No you DON'T!!! When your crap is going off for no reason at 4am every night, you will want to take your firearm out and blow holes through the car and your neighbors are going to want to do the same to YOU!
On the warranty issue, only the Viper/Python/Clifford product falls under that authorized warranty blanket,..You can buy DEI/Hornet/Valet accessories off the internet, most of those only carry a year warranty and don't need an authorized reatiler to sell it to you..
However, it probably won't save you too much dough that way---the shop installing it will probably give you a great deal to get it all from them as a complete package, and may overcharge on labor to compensate if you bring the stuff in with you..