PDA

View Full Version : Anything sound better than this Alpine combo?

Bass911
07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
This question might have already been answered? I've seen some mixed reviews, mostly good. The combo is the Ida-x305, PXA-H100 & KTX-H100. Has anyone tried this Imprint kit that feels like they can't live without it? How would it compare to an Audiocontrol EQS?

SELFMADE
07-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I herd the imprint is very limited but still a nice unit. I went through this as well and ended up with Alpine 7998, H701 Processor with C701 controller. :)

Bass911
07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I guess what I really need to know is, where the so called magic comes in? Can you make it sound just as good with the pxa-h100 without using the ktx-h100. I'm just curious because I know it's only around $30 for the ktx-h100, and I'm not that cheap. I just want to know is it guaranteed to tune my system better than me?

nineball
07-08-2009, 10:57 PM
the pxa will enable you to set everything manually via the hu. the ktx is software and a mic. i ran a ida-x100 with the pxa (alone) and with the ktx and hated it (even after several attempts of auto-tuning). i could not tune it nor would it tune itself to the point i liked it. i sold em both and went with my x993. almost all the same controls, ipod/phone compatible and built in bt. it plays cds too. $280 or less at crutchfield with a code.

-edit-

they raised the price. $320 - $20 code = $300

Bass911
07-09-2009, 01:58 AM
the pxa will enable you to set everything manually via the hu. the ktx is software and a mic. i ran a ida-x100 with the pxa (alone) and with the ktx and hated it (even after several attempts of auto-tuning). i could not tune it nor would it tune itself to the point i liked it. i sold em both and went with my x993. almost all the same controls, ipod/phone compatible and built in bt. it plays cds too. $280 or less at crutchfield with a code.

-edit-

they raised the price. $320 - $20 code = $300

Thanks for the Info. I can't do the Kenwood. The ipod speed seems too slow for me.

nineball
07-09-2009, 08:06 AM
mine is just as fast as it was with the ida and it streams via bt as well.

Alter Ego Trip
07-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I had a 305 and just recently upgraded to the 404 with the Imprint. I'm getting ready to hook everything up in the next couple days. If you're not in a hurry I'll give you my impressions after I've had a chance to play with it.

adam71
07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
To the OP: Are you looking for all out SQ or versatility as well. Because I have the P9 combo and it is by far the BEST sounding deck/processor combo I've ever heard.

mlstrass
07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I guess what I really need to know is, where the so called magic comes in? Can you make it sound just as good with the pxa-h100 without using the ktx-h100. I'm just curious because I know it's only around $30 for the ktx-h100, and I'm not that cheap. I just want to know is it guaranteed to tune my system better than me?

Do you honestly think a mic/processor knows what your ears like? I would imagine it can get a good baseline much like the 880prs mic/processor set up, but plan on tweaking from there.

I've been running active for about 2 years now and still make minor tweaks now and then...

Bass911
07-10-2009, 05:41 AM
To the OP: Are you looking for all out SQ or versatility as well. Because I have the P9 combo and it is by far the BEST sounding deck/processor combo I've ever heard.

Looking for the best ipod sq, ipod speed, and album art. I wouldn't say I'm looking for all out SQ.

SicAudio
07-10-2009, 09:37 AM
if you want any kind of SQ at all ditch the ipod/mp3 junk sq and ipod dont mix ever.

nineball
07-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Apple lossless ftw

bose301s
07-10-2009, 10:30 AM
if you want any kind of SQ at all ditch the ipod/mp3 junk sq and ipod dont mix ever.

Funny, double blind tests would disagree with you. It's been done, MP3 at 192kbps vs. original source CD, none of the participants could identify if it were an mp3 or CD at a rate better than that of pure chance.

SicAudio
07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
math still doesnt lie a mic can and will see the difference so...............

and there is no such thing as true lossless conversion, the conversion drops repetitive bits of the info which is how it compresses it.

SELFMADE
07-10-2009, 11:36 AM

and there is no such thing as true lossless conversion, the conversion drops repetitive bits of the info which is how it compresses it.

Couldn't of said it better!

SicAudio
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
I only know it because my wifes family are all professionals in the industry and they will never use it so would should I? I don't spend $5K in product to put garbage sound into it. there is a saying "Garbage in = Garbage out" lolz

bose301s
07-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Yes, the mic can see it, but the ear can't hear it. So, if you can't hear it, then to the ear, is it really different? No.

twistedchild420
07-10-2009, 11:46 AM
FREE 320kbps FTW!

SicAudio
07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes, the mic can see it, but the ear can't hear it. So, if you can't hear it, then to the ear, is it really different? No.

then if you cant hear it your ears are shot or your system sux *** I have always heard the difference between mp3 ipod ect vs a digital cd that is mastered in a studio. a cd is always louder and cleaner and doesnt distort as soon as an mp3/Ipod will.

bose301s
07-10-2009, 11:57 AM
then if you cant hear it your ears are shot or your system sux *** I have always heard the difference between mp3 ipod ect vs a digital cd that is mastered in a studio. a cd is always louder and cleaner and doesnt distort as soon as an mp3/Ipod will.

Then you sir have the ****** system. The tests that I saw were done on a system consisting of roughly $50K in gear. Also, an iPod actually has an excellent DAC, yes it doesn't have high output current, however in a good receiver/preamp the input resistance should be high enough that there is extremely little current flowing so that the output stage will not distort. There are definitely some mp3s I can tell the difference on, but they are lower kbps files, any high kbps file is pretty much impossible to tell.

mokedaddy
07-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Can you hear the difference between mp3s and cds on earphones? Highly doubtful.

I can however guarantee most would be able to hear the difference in a finely tuned environment. I can for sure tell a difference in my car.

andrewmoore13
07-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Then you sir have the ****** system. The tests that I saw were done on a system consisting of roughly $50K in gear. Also, an iPod actually has an excellent DAC, yes it doesn't have high output current, however in a good receiver/preamp the input resistance should be high enough that there is extremely little current flowing so that the output stage will not distort. There are definitely some mp3s I can tell the difference on, but they are lower kbps files, any high kbps file is pretty much impossible to tell.

I can tell when the kbps is low on an MP3 but at the same if you burn that same file to a CD guess what???

That's right you can still tell. So whats the difference?

bose301s
07-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Can you hear the difference between mp3s and cds on earphones? Highly doubtful.

I can however guarantee most would be able to hear the difference in a finely tuned environment. I can for sure tell a difference in my car.

While driving? Or sitting there engine off? Because the noise floor while driving is way too high to reliable tell any difference, especially when people can't in well tuned environments in a house with systems that cost more than your car.

mokedaddy
07-10-2009, 12:06 PM
While driving? Or sitting there engine off? Because the noise floor while driving is way too high to reliable tell any difference, especially when people can't in well tuned environments in a house with systems that cost more than your car.

No, not while driving. :p: But it was a generality. If you would like to listen for yourself you are more than welcome.

And you keep referencing cost like that has anything to do with anything. I have a relatively low cost system in both my vehicle and house but I have managed to make my budget stretch a long ways and have pretty impressive systems in both.

bose301s
07-10-2009, 12:07 PM
No, not while driving. :p:

And you keep referencing cost like that has anything to do with anything. I have a relatively low cost system in both my vehicle and house but I have managed to make my budget stretch a long ways and have pretty impressive systems in both.
Well, the systems were using like B&W 802s or 801s, so pretty nice speakers. Personally I think I have a pretty decent system, not as good as a lot but better than most.

SicAudio
07-10-2009, 12:10 PM
****** system lolz your funny noob. I am a dealer and have been for over 15 years I will trust my ears over your conjecture, especially when industry experts disagree with you.

mokedaddy
07-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Well, the systems were using like B&W 802s or 801s, so pretty nice speakers. Personally I think I have a pretty decent system, not as good as a lot but better than most.

Merely mentioning the speakers doesnt mean **** either. Yes the speakers are important but set up and tune both far outweigh the speakers themselves. I have heard many b&ws as well as other speakers and home systems that cost in the six figures easily that before being tuned sounded like absolute ***.

I am not saying what you were listening to wasnt a good or even great system either, again I am just reiterating the fact that cost isnt necessarily a driving factor of performance in the audio world.

Bass911
07-10-2009, 12:19 PM
I could hear the difference when I burned mp3 disc. I cannot tell the difference with the Ipod.

bose301s
07-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Merely mentioning the speakers doesnt mean **** either. Yes the speakers are important but set up and tune both far outweigh the speakers themselves. I have heard many b&ws as well as other speakers and home systems that cost in the six figures easily that before being tuned sounded like absolute ***.

I am not saying what you were listening to wasnt a good or even great system either, again I am just reiterating the fact that cost isnt necessarily a driving factor of performance in the audio world.

This was a test run a few years ago by Sound and Vision magazine actually, I would have to assume they know how to set up and tune a system for optimal performance.

mokedaddy
07-10-2009, 01:23 PM
You really should never assume anything.

adam71
07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Funny, double blind tests would disagree with you. It's been done, MP3 at 192kbps vs. original source CD, none of the participants could identify if it were an mp3 or CD at a rate better than that of pure chance.

I can hear the difference. I did a test like that in my home setup and in my car when I had my 860 which played mp3s. The dynamic range gives it away every time. Not to mention you can hear it in the cymbals.

nineball
07-10-2009, 09:06 PM

With Apple Lossless you don't set a bitrate. It takes the full quality audio file and compresses it, but returns it to full quality when playing it back. It works similar to MLP or Packed Pulse Code Modulation in that nothing is removed.

adam71
07-12-2009, 02:26 AM
With Apple Lossless you don't set a bitrate. It takes the full quality audio file and compresses it, but returns it to full quality when playing it back. It works similar to MLP or Packed Pulse Code Modulation in that nothing is removed.

Yes, MLP is the ****. It's the technology DVD-Audio uses created by Meridian (Boothroyd Stuart). It's sort of like a zip file.