PDA

View Full Version : box in bed with bedliner for blowthrough

treylittlefield
07-07-2009, 05:48 PM
can u build a box and put it in a blowthrough and not use a bed cover?? like use resin and then coat the whole bed in bed liner as if sealing it to the bed?? somone at a shop said water would eventually get through the bed liner and kill the box..anyone have any experience or advice??

treylittlefield
07-07-2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.aifresno.com/aipicsweb/Chevy%20Truck%203/slides/fts8.html

this is what i am talking about

KHARPS
07-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Are you talking about not using a tonneau or just not using a bedliner?

Goindef154
07-07-2009, 05:52 PM
I think he's saying no cover and put box down on bare bed then put liner over bed and box.

KHARPS
07-07-2009, 05:55 PM
At least get a vinyl tonneau cover. I got one for $180 + shipping and it's hinged and lifts up and everything...check out ebay. I don't have anything on the floor of the bed at the moment. You can just cover your box in resin and bolt it right to the floor. But please get a tonneau.

treylittlefield
07-07-2009, 05:55 PM
no bed cover just resin the box then use bed liner...would it work?? cause i've seen it done before and dont really like the looks of bed covers.

treylittlefield
07-07-2009, 05:56 PM
At least get a vinyl tonneau cover. I got one for $180 + shipping and it's hinged and lifts up and everything...check out ebay. I don't have anything on the floor of the bed at the moment. You can just cover your box in resin and bolt it right to the floor. But please get a tonneau.

and especailly not the vinyl covers. lol

KHARPS
07-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I guess it could work but everyone will see a huge box in your bed and eventually catch on to what it is. Greater risk of theft.

treylittlefield
07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I guess it could work but everyone will see a huge box in your bed and eventually catch on to what it is. Greater risk of theft.

well i dont live in a big city or anything. the thing i wanna figure out is that will the box get wet with resin and then sprayed wit bedliner like the above picture.

TnT_Sounds
07-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I get what you're saying. I know from experiance the rhino-liner bed liner stuff or any liner for that matter is only water resistant not water proof. A box I did with it over time absorbed the moisture and got into the MDF and next thing it was saw-dust. Figure this;

Fiberglass resin is used for boats and bed liner is used on trucks.

I would resin the entire box and at the least look into a vinyl top tonneau cover. Its better than nothing. I had a vinyl top for 2 years with no problems.

TnT_Sounds
07-08-2009, 12:27 PM
well i dont live in a big city or anything. the thing i wanna figure out is that will the box get wet with resin and then sprayed wit bedliner like the above picture.

Doesn't matter if you live in a big city or not. I live in a town of about 1500 rednecks and I still got my **** broke into.

Its not as difficult as you're thinking. Just resin the box and throw a vinyl tonneau on and you're good to go.

Lakota
07-08-2009, 06:10 PM
I highly recommend the bed cover.

treylittlefield
07-09-2009, 01:08 AM
well i am prob gonna get the bed cover i just dont like the looks of em at all honestly. and i was thinkin if i resined the box then put the bed liner over that like in the above picture...would that not work??

hunterw
07-09-2009, 01:12 AM
yeah id resin the **** out of it. and then resin it again.and also try to eleveat the box like at least 1/4 off the floor .

and if i was going to get any tonneau, (if money is not an issue) id go to checkerpro.com
flushmount ftw.

treylittlefield
07-09-2009, 10:07 AM
yeah id resin the **** out of it. and then resin it again.and also try to eleveat the box like at least 1/4 off the floor .

and if i was going to get any tonneau, (if money is not an issue) id go to checkerpro.com
flushmount ftw.

if i was gonna get any kind it would be a flushmount. lol

PioneerSPL1990
07-09-2009, 10:14 AM
use a **** load of caulking and marine grade plywood and cover it with 5 layers of resin and then line it it will never leak.

treylittlefield
07-09-2009, 01:29 PM
i think i'm gonna try to get a flush mount cover cause i like those :)

J31Rob
07-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Sounds very permanent.. I personally wouldn't do it, but then again I change plans like I change underwear..

jmanpc
07-09-2009, 01:31 PM
I've heard of people bolting the box down to the bed, then covering it in resin, and then putting bedliner over it. Seems like a great idea to me.

treylittlefield
07-09-2009, 11:21 PM
I've heard of people bolting the box down to the bed, then covering it in resin, and then putting bedliner over it. Seems like a great idea to me.

i've seen many pictures of ppl doin it. the only problem i guess would be if u changed box design...which i'm not into any competitions so i wouldnt really care...i just want it loud :)

TnT_Sounds
07-09-2009, 11:24 PM

flushmount ftw.

How dare you steal my cover:furious:

TnT_Sounds
07-09-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm confuse as to what you're wanting to do now :confused:

treylittlefield
07-09-2009, 11:33 PM
originally i wanted to resin the box and bed liner it. but i see those flush mount covers and they look good :) i've just never been able to find one for a s10. bout how much did that one run??

TnT_Sounds
07-10-2009, 12:47 AM
I got mine for 550 shipped to my work. Took maybe an hour or so to put on.

I would still resin your box. The covers aren't exactly water tight. No sense in being cheap. To resin your entire box should only be like 20 bucks.

TnT_Sounds
07-10-2009, 12:49 AM
They also build to order, so they will have you take measurements of the insides of your bed so you get a snug fit.

treylittlefield
07-10-2009, 05:07 PM
They also build to order, so they will have you take measurements of the insides of your bed so you get a snug fit.

ok gotta stupid question. my tailgate moves back and forh a little. cause it has some play in it. should i pull it back or push it forward before i measure?? and i called and they said $609 shipped which isn't to bad. i have a local body shop that does my paintin purty cheap :)

treylittlefield
07-25-2009, 01:18 AM
noody???