PDA

View Full Version : Box Concept, Advise please

ewoojon
07-07-2009, 05:33 PM
So i have a concept for a box, i am custom building I will give you some insight on what we are working with and then, how the over all plan will be.

1. Insight Material

1 JBL Power 1224
1 Eclipse M1000
Ford Tarus

2. The concept

I will be building a Custom box. Internal Volume 1.70 Cu FT Fq: 33hz but have an idea for the box and would like some intel on how it would work out and what kind of sound would be produced.

I will build the box to specs, already have a few designs. What im thinking about doing is this.

The Box will be normal, however the front will have a custom made frame, that basically splits the back of the trunk in half.

The sub will basically shoot out to the rear of the Trunk. Now the front of the trunk (now a hollow space with the box taking up some of the space will be seperate from the section of the trunk where the sub is.

My concept was the instead of having the port shout out and unload in the same chamber as the sub, instead have it point out the back of the box into the hollow chamber thats left over (under the back dash and behind the rear seat.)

So my question is just this, what would be the difference in sound, volume, and SQ of having this setup, vs just a plain ported box with out splitting the truck up like this..

What will the effects be of the port dumping into this hollow area below the rear deck and seat..

Im wondering what kind of sound, if at all improvements, or disadvantages this would create in referance to the Sound and volume of bass, and freq.

thanks for reading.

Here is a pic to help explain: http://texastechservices.net/images/trunkconcept.jpg

bubbagumper6
07-07-2009, 05:37 PM
.....what?

ewoojon
07-07-2009, 05:46 PM
would a picture help explain it better? Ill go ahead and post one.. http://texastechservices.net/images/trunkconcept.jpg

ewoojon
07-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Here is an example drawing to help explain

http://texastechservices.net/images/trunkconcept.jpg

bubbagumper6
07-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Looks like a giant, ugly bandpass box...

dappa5
07-07-2009, 06:54 PM
can you say bandpass class?

Immacomputer
07-08-2009, 10:25 AM
It's definitely no more of a bandpass as any other ported enclosure in a trunk. If you completely separate the sub from the port and block off the trunk, you will be left with pretty ****** sound. It will be heavy around the tuning frequency and not have much output above and below that.

If the sub isn't firing into a sealed off trunk then it's not going to gain you anything firing the port like that. You also aren't loading the port much (port loading is a good thing for daily listening and solid bottom end) firing into open air. You would be better firing the port towards a vehicle wall.

ewoojon
07-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Ok.. thanks guys for your imput.. thats what i was thinking that it would cause undesired sound..

So if it was to do the box the same, but do not set up a divider, what would be the best suggestion?

Port facing the same direction of the sub or no.

Also, any ideas on firing the sub up towards the back dash, does this improve anything or will it decrease the low end, being the fq doesnt have enough to resonate off of?