PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood eXcelon x993/x693 play .wav through USB?

HisHeirness23
07-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Like the title asks, does the x993 support .wav playback via the USB input? Do any of the other eXcelon head units from the 2009 lineup play .wav files through USB? I am looking at incorporating a laptop harddrive and storing full audio on it to limit the amount of CD's in my car.

scfaust
07-07-2009, 01:22 AM
i have last years modle kenwood and it play wav mp3 all of em but...... it can only handle so much i tride to hook a hard drive to it it wont take it i think u can only hook a device thaqt has like less than 5 gigs

05_ZX636
07-07-2009, 06:10 AM
i had a excelon 991 and used a 120 gig ipod classic and a 16 gig flash drive on it with no problems. And it was pretty fast also. I am looking at the 993 now

ejschultz
07-07-2009, 12:45 PM
My girlfriend has the 693. I'll give it a try and let you know.

ejschultz
07-07-2009, 02:11 PM
It will not play WAV files at any level via USB. The size of the drive does not matter as long as it is formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. It will not support any other formats. Most external hard drives are usually formatted in FAT32, however, some of the larger ones may be NTFS. It's a really easy fix if you get one that is the wrong format. Simply plug it into your computer, right click, format, then select the options you want (FAT32) and you're good to go. I recommend doing a full format if it asks, not quick. Usually when you change format types, you have to do a full format.

Selkies
07-07-2009, 02:34 PM
It will not play WAV files at any level via USB. The size of the drive does not matter as long as it is formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. It will not support any other formats. Most external hard drives are usually formatted in FAT32, however, some of the larger ones may be NTFS. It's a really easy fix if you get one that is the wrong format. Simply plug it into your computer, right click, format, then select the options you want (FAT32) and you're good to go. I recommend doing a full format if it asks, not quick. Usually when you change format types, you have to do a full format.
Don't forget it will erase everything on said hard drive!

ejschultz
07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Don't forget it will erase everything on said hard drive!

Obviously I have forgotten the most important part of formatting. Everything will be erased on the hard drive/flash drive. Make sure you back up everything you want to keep on there before you format. I've made that mistake too many times (stupid hidden files).

nismos14
07-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Yup, will not play .wav.