PDA

View Full Version : new sub enclosure to go with my new Hertz three ways...

Fuknmovin
07-06-2009, 09:44 AM
OK, I am trying to make the setup in my truck LOOK a lot better ad I am thinking of doing a fiberglass enclosure for the sub along the back wall of the truck to open up some floorspace in the back for my dogs. What I need to know is how much port should I use with the HDC315-A I have here, I currently have 56" of port area on a slot port and I am happy with the sound, can I get away with a single 8" sono tube port if I use end caps and a round over bit to give it a radius? The reason I ask is that's only 50 or so inches of port area but that's a bit light for a 4.5ish cube box and a 15 I think, could I use a 10" or is that too big??
Thanks for the help in advance.....

dappa5
07-06-2009, 09:53 AM
aeros are much more efficient than slots (air velocity) so it 50 should be fine
so you're going to reg ported enclosure in stead of the 6 th order?

Fuknmovin
07-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Well, I want it to be smaller and look nicer, so its a good possibility, that thing is just huge back there! Sounds great though! So you think an 8 is good eh? I am firing it toward the driver side wall and having the sub forward....just want to get the most out if it, so if bigger will be better, that's what I will do...

Fuknmovin
07-06-2009, 01:48 PM
anyone else....

dappa5
07-06-2009, 03:11 PM
in truck cabs i allways like sub foward port up
but if your going aero (or sonotube) prob not but can make kick azz slot port facing up

Fuknmovin
07-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Really? I allways heard port to the driver for SPL? I want a SQL system so hat should I do then? I can always do a slot, just thought that the sonotube old work better for he port to the side...

dappa5
07-06-2009, 07:42 PM
i just like the symitry of every thing in the center but if you are goin ballz out spl port drvrs side will be a little louder
but for looks and decent daily drvr go sub foward slot port up along the rear window and amps flushed in on either side of sub

dappa5
07-06-2009, 07:43 PM
by a little louder i mean a couple of 10ths if you get the fiberglassed box done well enough

Fuknmovin
07-06-2009, 11:17 PM
OK so its not like its going to gain 2 db's or something, Cool port up it is! I like the more balanced sound anyway. I think I will try for a bit more port this time though, maybe like 70 Sq Inches, the lat one, the 6th order had 56 but AQ calls for displacement multiplied by 16 to get the port area, so I think the box will do better with 4.5 cubes and 72 SQIN. What do you think? Hey just a thought, but what if I did two smaller ports one one either side of the box facing one drivers side and one passenger side? Can this be done efficiently? By the way if you did not read my sig, I am feeding this thing a good bit of power, over 3K right now, just for input sake... I really like your Idea of flushing in my Component amps in the box either side, as long as I have enough airspace, I don't want the box to be any deeper than about 8" except the stretched out part for the sub ring, I need the space for my dogs in the back when we go to Glamis!

dappa5
07-06-2009, 11:32 PM
can be done the two ports will be tricky i'd stay away but what the hell it's only money right ?? i'm just finishing up a glassed box for one of my trucks (bout 100hrs in it) so if i dont like it i'll just smash it with a hammer j/k seriously if you are gonna glass it in you need to solidify your design will be long and hard but worth it if you do it right

Fuknmovin
07-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Cool, I will just try the port up this time around, I am trying to figure the approx volume right now, any tips? for the stretched area I just figured a cylinder the diameter of the sub and the distance I want it to stick out, and added that to the box portion, I know it will be a bit more than this but it should be close enough right?

Fuknmovin
07-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Here is what I was thinking 3/4 MDF with glass on front and the sub ring about 4" out from the front edge and up a bit, then glass over entire outside for strength and durability, what you think?

dappa5
07-07-2009, 12:09 AM
looks good just bring in the sides to mount the amps and viola'

Fuknmovin
07-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Sweet, yeah, I figured id make a couple lil boxes for the amps and suspend them like the sub ring...

Fuknmovin
07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
got any pics of your 100 hour box...love to see it!

dappa5
07-07-2009, 05:50 PM
lol 100 hrs is an obvious exageration lol but its @ paint heres a pic after resin before bondo and such http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/DAPPA5/IMG00074.jpghttp://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/DAPPA5/IMG00076.jpglike i said if you plan right you will be very happy

Fuknmovin
07-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Looks great, get some when its done I would love to see the finished product. I like the port location, that's what I was thinking of doing. Is that going in a crew cab of Extra cab, looks like extra as its fairly small for a crew. I really hope mine turns out good this time around, I really want it loud AND clean!

dappa5
07-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Is that going in a crew cab of Extra cab, looks like extra as its fairly small for a crew. I really hope mine turns out good this time around, I really want it loud AND clean!

behind the third row in a tahoe

Fuknmovin
07-07-2009, 08:20 PM
AH! cool, should sound great!

Fuknmovin
07-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Any updates on your box? Also I was wondering what anyone thought of this design, its got a 36" wide by 2" tall port equalling 72 square inches as per Audioque but I just want to know if there is any reason I should not do it like this, it will obviously be glassed on the front and top so that's why its not drawn in as it would be a Beyoch to try and do in Sketch Up. Sub will be forward and raised above the center line about 5" to get the volume up to approx 4.5 ^3 Let me know as I want to get started with this thing so I can glass it and my pods at the same time...

Thanks,
-Movin

Fuknmovin
07-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Nobody has any opinions? I just want to know if this will sound ok...and not have a ton of port noise or something..

dappa5
07-11-2009, 07:54 PM
oh it's gonna need alot of port to sound and then prob still wont bang as hard as ur current setup but will look a million times better thats the price you pay

Fuknmovin
07-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Well its got considerably more port area than my current 6th order, it only has 56 sq in of area and like 4 cubes, this is going to be 4.5 cubes and has 72" of area, I am just worried about the height of the port, do you think 2 inches is ok? I have heard once that sometimes you can get port noise but I doubt it with this much area, just need some opinions! Thanks!

dappa5
07-11-2009, 08:22 PM
your doin what a 2x36 in port?

Fuknmovin
07-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah so its 72 SQ Inches just what AQ saya to run....4.5 ^3 box after displacements multiplied by 16 to get 72, I am just wondering if there is any issue with it being that narrow.

Fuknmovin
07-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Ok I will assume there is no problem here as nobody has replied, I figured as much, but wanted to be sure..

Fuknmovin
08-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Well, I finally got to this thing! I still need to get some more MDF for the back wall and bottom but I got the port cut and glued/screwed and the sides of the box cut, I just need to run and get a sheet of 3/4" for the back and bottom. ****** thing was I had a bunch of pieces that were within 1" of being good but so close yet so far away! I plan on cutting the ring for the sub out tomorrow and getting it all ready for the Glassing! Should be an experience! LOL! I will be making the Glass a minimum of 1/2" thick to try and retain as much rigidity as possible..I really want this thing to sound better than my current box if possible...WE'll SEE!