PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, help for a new guy?

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I have been a member on here for a little while. Never really posted anything just read alot of the threads. Do not really know a whole lot bout car audio but i do love the way it sounds. I'm finally posting cause I'm sick of a couple things i have going on. Ok well I drive an 07 charger R/T, and i have a 12w7 running off a 500/1. I know every1 hates jl cuz their over priced and whatnot, but I couldnt say no to the price i got it for. So in my car if I do not have my seats down it sounds like absolute ****. It just rattles to all h3ll and keeps all the bass in the trunk. I was wondering if somebody could help me out or give me suggestions? If your gonna be a straight d*ck about things don't even bother. But those who help it's much appreciated. :2thumbs:

thegreatestpenn
07-04-2009, 03:45 PM
sound dampening > you
if you want help you first must abide by the new rule of posting nudes of your gf, sister, AND mother. After you complete this mission we will be happy to assist you :thumbsup:

SicAudio
07-04-2009, 03:45 PM
have you tried facing the sub towards the rear bumper? what kind of car? not a fan of JL due to price only but they are nice subs nonetheless.

dragnix
07-04-2009, 03:46 PM
sound deadening

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 03:48 PM
sound dampening > you
if you want help you first must abide by the new rule of posting nudes of your gf, sister, AND mother. After you complete this mission we will be happy to assist you :thumbsup:

Well after I get assisted I could probally do the 1st one you asked for. But the other ones :wow:

oldschoolboomer
07-04-2009, 03:49 PM
sound damping. remove rear deck speakers. fire sub towards rear. voila.

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 03:50 PM
have you tried facing the sub towards the rear bumper? what kind of car? not a fan of JL due to price only but they are nice subs nonetheless.

Yes the sub has always faced the rear bumper, its in a 07 dodge charger. And well I got the sub box n amp for 350. Couldnt say no :laugh:

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 03:51 PM
sound damping. remove rear deck speakers. fire sub towards rear. voila.

I guess I don't understand how sound damping will make a big difference, because when i fold my seats up all it seems as all the bass is trapped in my truck?:confused:

oldschoolboomer
07-04-2009, 03:53 PM
removing your rear speakers will help a bunch. The sound damping is just something all trunk cars must do up front because rattling trunks are very ghey.

thegreatestpenn
07-04-2009, 03:55 PM
chargers are hard to get loud regardless though. its well-talked about between shopowners

G.W.Kush
07-04-2009, 03:56 PM
chargers are hard to get loud regardless though. its well-talked about between shopowners

good info

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 04:02 PM
removing your rear speakers will help a bunch. The sound damping is just something all trunk cars must do up front because rattling trunks are very ghey.

Yeah I know I hate the noise that it makes when it rattles, but call me a noob er w/e but when u say rear speakers you are just talking about my stock 6x9 correct?

Yeah I have heard that also, some1 mentioned something to me about cutting out sheet metal? Ever heard of that?:help:

dB-SPL
07-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes, sound deadening is a must for trunks. Is the box sealed or ported? If ported which direction is the port firing? Trunks firing both sub and port toward the rear is pretty standard unless you're A) willing to completely seal the trunk from the cabin and fire both to the front or B) trying to fit a huge sub in a short trunk in which case you'll fire the sub up and port to the back, side, etc..

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes, sound deadening is a must for trunks. Is the box sealed or ported? If ported which direction is the port firing? Trunks firing both sub and port toward the rear is pretty standard unless you're A) willing to completely seal the trunk from the cabin and fire both to the front or B) trying to fit a huge sub in a short trunk in which case you'll fire the sub up and port to the back, side, etc..

Its a portetd box, and its firing towards the bumper of the car. And I'm just trying to figure out what i can do so that when i have my back seats up, and people in my car. I can listen to my music some what loud without it sounding like a$$. I knew i shoulda just went with an suv :laugh:

oldschoolboomer
07-04-2009, 04:11 PM
pull the 6 x 9's and you'll be in business

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 04:13 PM
pull the 6 x 9's and you'll be in business

Just the speakers or the whole panel that holds them? Sry for all the different questions just trying to get this resolved. :verymad:

oldschoolboomer
07-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Just the 6 x 9's should be fine

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Alright thanks I will try that tomorrow and see how it goes. I am open to anything else people would like to say.

G.W.Kush
07-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Alright thanks I will try that tomorrow and see how it goes. I am open to anything else people would like to say.

dont drive with people in the back?

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 04:26 PM
dont drive with people in the back?

Yeah well sometimes you don't have a choice, and regardless if its just me in the car i don't care if the seats are down. But if other people are in it having your seats folding down just looks tacky. Especially in nicer cars.

G.W.Kush
07-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah well sometimes you don't have a choice, and regardless if its just me in the car i don't care if the seats are down. But if other people are in it having your seats folding down just looks tacky. Especially in nicer cars.

music > your tackyness.

and you do have a choice. ;)

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 04:38 PM
music > your tackyness.

and you do have a choice. ;)

Haha very good point sir:laugh: But I'm just trying to find something reasonable that I can do to just avoid this if i need to. Yes when its just me the seats will be down and whatnot. But when I'm with people i just want to still be able to enjoy my music with it sounding like sh*t

scotlcky13
07-04-2009, 06:31 PM
just some thoughts, what kinds of enclosure do u have the 12 in? what type of bass response r u looking for is the most important ? Regardless of what so called expersts tell you about either listening repsonses coming ffom your speakers it is all moot unless that type of sound is pleasing to you the owner n driver.

if u want a tight snap of a bass where it clearly hits u inthe back try a sealed enclosure, less raddle from that in the truck of a ported or band pass bass unit. if u want a rolling deep bass responses as in a ported or bandpass, try an air free sub mounted in from the tope of your read deck that uses the trucvk space as an enclosure.

Mount the speakers, box ported or not with the speakers facing directly into the back of the fold down seats. now with that being said when u do lay down your rear seats the response won't be as clear as the sound is now into and facing the seat and through that is the rear pass seats

perhaps shave down some of the stuffing in your rear seats so the sound can travel thru them more easily and the others suggestions of Dynomat-a lining sound dampening material you'd line the inside of your trunck with assist in cutting abck some of the extra reverb bouncing off of the metal of your trunk and being displaced back into your sound stage.

I'm new here, so perhaps my angle or feed back is a little dated but decide first what sounds pleasing to you bro, not what others tell you what you should like. thewn get adviuce on how to get what you want!

schackel
07-04-2009, 06:34 PM
sound dampening > you

yepper

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 06:37 PM
just some thoughts, what kinds of enclosure do u have the 12 in? what type of bass response r u looking for is the most important ? Regardless of what so called expersts tell you about either listening repsonses coming ffom your speakers it is all moot unless that type of sound is pleasing to you the owner n driver.

if u want a tight snap of a bass where it clearly hits u inthe back try a sealed enclosure, less raddle from that in the truck of a ported or band pass bass unit. if u want a rolling deep bass responses as in a ported or bandpass, try an air free sub mounted in from the tope of your read deck that uses the trucvk space as an enclosure.

Mount the speakers, box ported or not with the speakers facing directly into the back of the fold down seats. now with that being said when u do lay down your rear seats the response won't be as clear as the sound is now into and facing the seat and through that is the rear pass seats

perhaps shave down some of the stuffing in your rear seats so the sound can travel thru them more easily and the others suggestions of Dynomat-a lining sound dampening material you'd line the inside of your trunck with assist in cutting abck some of the extra reverb bouncing off of the metal of your trunk and being displaced back into your sound stage.

I'm new here, so perhaps my angle or feed back is a little dated but decide first what sounds pleasing to you bro, not what others tell you what you should like. thewn get adviuce on how to get what you want!

:wow:Wow was not expecting a response like that, but i never looked at it that way either.

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 06:38 PM
yepper

thought you couldn't post nudes :crazy:

Ellsworthz
07-04-2009, 06:40 PM
thought you couldn't post nudes :crazy:

if their good.. no one will care.

If their Deerhunts type..

well, eh, prolly be banned :fyi:

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 06:45 PM
if their good.. no one will care.

If their Deerhunts type..

well, eh, prolly be banned :fyi:

Haha well in that case once i get home and off my phone I'll have to give you guys a lil preview so you can tell me what u you think:D

schackel
07-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Haha well in that case once i get home and off my phone I'll have to give you guys a lil preview so you can tell me what u you :D

what u you?????

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 06:48 PM
what u you?????

THINK!

schackel
07-04-2009, 06:52 PM
THINK!

never!

Skoz33
07-04-2009, 06:55 PM
never!

Haha yeah I know, who wants to think when you don't have to. But when I get home I'll make sure to give a lil sneak peak to you fellas who've helped me out. Even tho YOU SIR Have done nothing for me :crap:

Toone
07-06-2009, 02:50 PM

Dynomat is dynomiteeeee
http://www.swobo.com/htatbl/archives/14261JJ.jpg

Juice+
07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
I have a charger so I can relate...

First you need to take out rear 6x9's and take out all the carpet lining in the truck except the bottom piece. Once you have this out there will be vents on either side that you will need to seal up. Note: ears will pop and air conditioning will not blow as good due to pressure. I have my omega 18 firing down and port to the right side and I am getting some pretty good numbers for stock electrical.

drpeeb
07-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I think what they're saying here is your back seats are blocking most of the audible bass from gettin' to your ears. The bass you can feel might still get thru. Remove the rear 6x9s & you should hear it much better. Of cource add deadening to eliminate the rattles.

Skoz33
07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
I have a charger so I can relate...

First you need to take out rear 6x9's and take out all the carpet lining in the truck except the bottom piece. Once you have this out there will be vents on either side that you will need to seal up. Note: ears will pop and air conditioning will not blow as good due to pressure. I have my omega 18 firing down and port to the right side and I am getting some pretty good numbers for stock electrical.

Hmm alright sounds pretty reasonable, but when you sealed up those vents in the trunk what did you use?

Skoz33
07-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I think what they're saying here is your back seats are blocking most of the audible bass from gettin' to your ears. The bass you can feel might still get thru. Remove the rear 6x9s & you should hear it much better. Of cource add deadening to eliminate the rattles.

Yeah thats what I'm pretty much getting out of all this to. 6x9 gone and deaden thee trunkk

slconde
10-11-2009, 05:38 AM
i have a charger and the fix to this is easy. get a ur rear deck ported. i have mine ported between the 6x9's. u cant tell its there from the inside cuz its has a screen over it but if u looked from inside the trunk, u would see a rectanguler hole prolly 14x6 (im just guessing here) big.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h156/htx_s3xii_mzkrystal/STEVE/ONNCI-1.jpg

miltonhunter
10-12-2009, 02:39 AM
when you put a ported box in a sealed inclosure(your trunk) your making a diferent type of box try puting it in a seald inclosure.alot of ported boxes are built to be in open area not in the trunk it would make sence that it sounds beter with seats down,the down side is you might lose db but it should sound beterand you can push the sub harder in a seald box.im not saying you cant put a ported box in a trunk but it should be built as such,if not youl get into a banpass when you close the seats,ive seen it before should be an easy fix.the ratleing could be caused by the wrong box too,but ide have to be there to hear it.hope this helped

miltonhunter
10-12-2009, 02:47 AM
also on another note when you cut your decklid your making another port if your not carfull you can change your tone and mess up your ride,if the box is close to the decklid you can get fluter,remeber you are now making a dual ported box the port in your box and the port in your decklid.

denim
11-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Welcome to CA.