PDA

View Full Version : Is this headunit worth the extra money?

Jordan_L
07-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi, my nice 2 1/2 year old Clarion "Pro Audio" headunit quit ejecting CD's so I need to chose between these two headunits. I'm looking for the headunit that is least prone to skipping because I have two external amplifiers for my speakers and subs. I'm tight on money unlike when I bought my Clarion.

The two headunits are the Pioneer Premier Deh-p400UB (last years model) and the Pioneer Premier Deh-p410UB (this years model).

Pioneer Premier Deh-p410UB (This years model)
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P410UB

Pioneer Premier Deh-p400UB (Last years model)
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/deh-p400ub.aspx

Does the newer model have better shock proof memory for CD use? The primary use for the headunit will be playing CD's. My main concern is no skipping at high volumes. I'm also curious as to what makes the newer model better than the older besides external looks and LED display. My Clarion had a shock proof memory of 20 seconds, how many seconds of shock proof memory should a headunit be to be considered skip proof to bumps on the road and loud subs? (I don't really turn up my subs, but if I did, I wouldn't want the headunit to skip)

Louisiana_CRX
07-04-2009, 01:54 PM
i'd get the Pioneer

ejschultz
07-04-2009, 01:59 PM
i'd get the Pioneer

lol.

I don't think Pioneer has any memory to prevent skipping. They may, but not to my knowledge.

speedfreak28
07-04-2009, 01:59 PM
which clarion did you have?

Jordan_L
07-04-2009, 02:52 PM
I had the Clarion DXZ755MC, basically, when I hit the eject button, it won't eject the CD and it makes a clicking sound for about ten seconds. (which appears to be a common issue with Clarion headunits when using Google)
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2005/audio/source_units/cd/DXZ755MC/us-en-product-pf_1133851137404.html

I'm wanting to get the Pioneer Premier headunit lineup as a replacement. I heard Pioneer uses "Solid State Memory" or something. Some people say the Pioneer Premier Deh-p400UB has 10 seconds of shock proof memory. The Pioneer headunits are for causal use while the Pioneer Premier series are more for competition or I guess it is said to be Pioneer's high end car audio equipment line. If the Pioneer Premier series has no shock proof memory, wouldn't it skip like crazy? Or does it have Anti-Vibration?

i'd get the Pioneer

Of the two Pioneer Premiers, which one? I'm not sure how many more strengths the new Pioneer Premier Deh-p410UB has over the Pioneer Premier Deh-p400UB.

Pioneer Premier Deh-p410UB (This years model)
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ier/DEH-P410UB

Pioneer Premier Deh-p400UB (Last years model)
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/deh-p400ub.aspx

lol.
I don't think Pioneer has any memory to prevent skipping. They may, but not to my knowledge.

I see you have a Pioneer Premier Headunit, does it skip at all?

oldschoolboomer
07-04-2009, 03:00 PM
do not buy either of those if you are concerned about skipping at high volume! one of those cost me a trophy. You need a dvd player if you are concerned about bass causing skips.

john denver
07-04-2009, 03:02 PM
ive never had a problem with skipping any any headunit

Jordan_L
07-04-2009, 03:03 PM
My Clarion Headunit never skipped once no matter how hard my subs hit. What's a good headunit that won't skip like my Clarion for the 130-150 dollar price range?

do not buy either of those if you are concerned about skipping at high volume! one of those cost me a trophy. You need a dvd player if you are concerned about bass causing skips.

What Pioneer model were you using and was it a Pioneer or Premier? Did it skip while you were using it in competition? I don't get why Pioneer would make huge Pioneer Premier subs and use them with their Pioneer Premier headunits and deal with skipping.

oldschoolboomer
07-04-2009, 03:04 PM
run a treo ssx18 and 2 hk4000d's and see if a cd player skips

Jordan_L
07-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Nice, I don't really turn up my subs much at all. I listen to metal and have the bass set to -3 and subwoofer output set to -2. Instead of running two 1000w rms amps to each of my two subs, I am just using one 1300w rms mono amp. When I have hipop on, I have the bass set to +2 and the sub output set to 0 and the subs hit, but not as loud as a car made for SPL sub competitions.

What was the model of your headunit? How hard were your subs hitting when it started to skip? Your definition of "hitting hard" may be way higher than mine.

oldschoolboomer
07-04-2009, 03:21 PM
it was the 5100. once you get close to 145 at 37Hz, the skipping begins.

Jordan_L
07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
it was the 5100. once you get close to 145 at 37Hz, the skipping begins.

You were using a Pioneer for competition? :confused: The Pioneer Premier series by Pioneer was meant for competition rather than the Pioneer series.

Here is a Pioneer Premier TS-W5102SPL 12" 6000W Dual 2-Ohm Competition Class SPL Subwoofer for $649.00, imagine using this with a Pioneer Premier headunit heh.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Source=googlebase&ProductID=16932

I guess I'll check out the Alpine 9881, any beef about this headunit?
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18055

oldschoolboomer
07-04-2009, 03:27 PM
it makes no difference in spl. dont know what the little badge that says "premier" does in terms of performance. They are identical spec'd units.

G.W.Kush
07-04-2009, 03:28 PM
it makes no difference in spl. dont know what the little badge that says "premier" does in terms of performance. They are identical spec'd units.

x2

NightDrifter05
07-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't get either of those Pioneer's. I personally will never another pioneer head unit as long as I'm into car audio. I've owned 4-5 different model's all premier except for 1 and they have all either skipped horribly on high volumes or the RCA's would just stop working. I'll stick with my Panasonic units until they can't be bought anymore.

Macklessdaddy
07-04-2009, 03:51 PM
the premier comes with a 2 year warranty vs 1 year for the regular line,I think that's the only difference IIRC

Jordan_L
07-04-2009, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't get either of those Pioneer's. I personally will never another pioneer head unit as long as I'm into car audio. I've owned 4-5 different model's all premier except for 1 and they have all either skipped horribly on high volumes or the RCA's would just stop working. I'll stick with my Panasonic units until they can't be bought anymore.

That's the problem though. I bought an aftermarket Panasonic and it skipped like crazy. I sold it to my brother and bought a Clarion because I knew they wouldn't skip once and I was right, it never did. Now after 2 1/2 years of use (even though I seldom changed CD's) it won't eject CD's and I need to get a new headunit. I won't be buying another Panasonic or Clarion. This either leaves me with an Alpine or Pioneer. New Pioneer's have a nice feature called Adanved Sound Retrieval that basically restores the lost frequencies in MP3's to a point where they almost sound like CD quality demonstrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-PDtb3szw4

If the Pioneer's kept on skipping, why did you keep buying them? What was the one model you had that did not skip for you? Also, Pioneer Premier has higher quality control than the normal Pioneer lines. In addition, the premier line is only sold in specialty audio outlets rather than mass market.

ejschultz
07-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I see you have a Pioneer Premier Headunit, does it skip at all?

Only on some really scratched CDs. Obviously there's really nothing to prevent that. I don't get loud enough to make it skip and with a Caprice, it feels like I'm driving on air so no bumps ever make it skip.

Jordan_L
07-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Only on some really scratched CDs. Obviously there's really nothing to prevent that. I don't get loud enough to make it skip and with a Caprice, it feels like I'm driving on air so no bumps ever make it skip.

Is the volume range of your headunit from 1-62? How far have you turned it up? Also, someone claimed that their subs hit 143DB with a Pioneer 5100UB without any skipping.

ejschultz
07-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Is the volume range of your headunit from 1-62? How far have you turned it up? Also, someone claimed that their subs hit 143DB with a Pioneer 5100UB without any skipping.

The way I've got my gains set on my amps, I can get it all the way up to 62 without any distortion or clipping.

Jordan_L
07-04-2009, 11:57 PM
You have your gain set well. I have had my whole car audio system installed time and time again (upgrades/replacements) by some great car audio installers. They have also set the gain on my amps. I wouldn't have to change the gain because of a new headunit model/brand would I? My current Clarion headunit plays flawless at all volume levels no matter how much vibration/output it gets and it ***** I have to replace it.