PDA

View Full Version : Box for L7 12???

mebcop
07-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Ok, I finally got sick of changing my mind on what sub I'm getting, and I ordered an L7 12.... I figured if it isn't enough I'll just order another one, put em both in a sealed 3.1 ft^3 box and push a shitload of power to em...

For now though, I'm gonna build two boxes. I've always liked the sound of a sealed box better so I'm gonna build what Kicker recommends, a 2.0ft^3 sealed box (maybe 2.5ft^3), and I'm also gonna build a ported box that fits my dimensions... 33Wx17Hx13.5D If I like the sound of the sealed better, I'll buy another L7 12, but if I like the sound of the ported better I'll just stick with the one.

I did up a box on REAUDIO.com and it came out to: 2.679ft^3 tuned to 29.79hz, using the port length 2 of 20

Well, here's all the red numbers:

I've been told to not trust REAUDIO's box calculator, so I was hoping someone could just check that and make sure it's ok, or if someone is bored and they want to come up with a quick design using those dimensions, I'd REALLY apreciate it!!!!!

Thanx guys....

Ellsworthz
07-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Kicker is to Sealed

As DD is to infinite baffle

mebcop
07-02-2009, 01:48 AM
I have a couple buddies with 12" kicker l7's sealed..... it wasn't the BEST i've heard but they still POUNDED

Matter of fact, I heard a 15" L7 in 3.4 ft^3 that was pretty **** impressive!!!

th3disturbed1
07-02-2009, 02:41 AM
im fairly new to audio as you can tell from my stuff... but what would you recommend as a box for a kicker L7 if I wanted more SQ (yes ik its impossible to get true SQ from kicker)?

Ported box tuned low?

mebcop
07-02-2009, 02:56 AM
^^^^^^^^ Why are you asking a question in my thread???

Please make your own

th3disturbed1
07-02-2009, 04:25 PM
because you were asking a box question if those numbers could be trusted. i asked a similar box question if im not mistaken, making the forum less full of multiple posts.

mebcop
07-02-2009, 06:36 PM
But it'll turn into people answering your question.... in MY post....

It's just something you don't do in forums..... see, now this has turned into something totally off topic and my question isn't answered....

assassyn
07-03-2009, 10:49 AM
sealed is the way. that hit so hard

SubNit
07-03-2009, 10:53 AM
It helps when you give us information about how you want it to sound, you know, since the box pretty much determines that.....

Just let us know the type of music you listen to and the type of bass response you want out of it.

nickolas_j_t
07-03-2009, 11:09 AM
My friend had 3 12" l7s in a sealed. They sounded like ****.

mebcop
07-03-2009, 12:44 PM
That's the thing SubNit.... I listen to EVERYTHING. That's one of my draws to a single sealed 15. All I've ever found with ported is that it'll sound good for one Genre of music, but not sound good with another.... It seems like if you tune your box high and it hits a low note, it sounds like crap, but if you tune it low and it hits a high note, again it sounds like crap....

I love the flat response of sealed.... It's not the best on any note, but it's CONSISTANTLY good...

Another thing I hate is when you play a note below the tuned frequency of the box it sounds... really bad for the sub. Like right now on the new Eminem CD, track number 8, say on volume 40 POUNDS, but if track 9 hits real deap, it sounds like its slapping the cone all over the place, uncontrolled....

SicAudio
07-03-2009, 12:57 PM
L7 sealed you may as well use junk walmart subs, they sound terrible sealed you need 3-3.5cf long slot loaded at 34Hz - 38 Hz .

mebcop
07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Dont have that much space SIC.... I really like the idea of a single sealed 15.... The thing is I have a real hard time buying the "flavor of the week" off brand sub....

I'm trying to stick with a known brand that has been around a while so they've gotten rid of any "glitches" in subs.

My other problem is I **** at buying a sub that's not the top level for that company.... haha. I liked my w7 12, I just cant bring myself to spending that kinda money again....

I really do like the new RE ***, which I know a lot of people are slamming it, but I like it. Does anyone have any experience with a RE SE or *** series 15 in a 2.5'ish sealed box? Nope, cant find anyone.

I got a funny fealing in about an hour or two I'm gonna just throw a dart at a paper that has 10 different subs on it and I'm gonna call and order it.... this money is BURNING a hole in my pocket.. haha

New price limit $300.... Thats the benefit of delaying the purchase.... got paid again.. haha

krainium
07-03-2009, 01:40 PM
L7 are one note wonders there alot of better options out there. How much power do you have?

mebcop
07-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Right now I have a BD500, but I fully expect to need/get a better amp depending on what sub I get. I know the hifonics amps are pretty inexpensive so I could get a bxi 16XX, or even the 20xx, depending on what sub I get.