PDA

View Full Version : covering Fiberglass

PT Teal
10-16-2003, 01:41 AM
OK, I have got a lot of the fiberglassing done and cleaned up. (amp rack) All went pretty well. I am doing the bondo right now and finding it near impossible to sand with the problem I have with my hands and arms.I also don't see how I can get these to look perfect for painting. I have a lot of round corners that seem to stick out. Don't know if you remember but I only have one eye and about 30% use of my arms as I have fibro. Anyway thinking of changing my plans a little!
OK thinking of covering them so they look better. And I am willing to spend what I have to to get something nice. I just want to do it my self so I can say I did it!

Can you guys give me Idea's on what is the best way to go. I have a lot of corners and round spots. I have used tweed but it does not really stretch very far and frays a lot. I have thought about vinyl but I don't think it stretches very well as well. Is there a special vinyl that stretches better and where can I get it? Would a hot air gun help?

Any Idea's would be welcomed. I would not be worrying but it is a big job that takes about 10-15 gal of fiberglass resin New front dash.doors,sub box and amp-rack for 10 amps.

bill4d
10-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Have you considered some sort of textured paint? It would be a good way to hide imperfections but still give a uniform look over the surfaces. Just an idea.

PT Teal
10-16-2003, 04:49 PM
no, I have not though of that. I will keep it in mind if I keep having trouble.

spyd3r
10-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Texture paint will look bad unless its spread over a smooth and preped surface.

My suggestion would be to take this stuff over to a good auto_body shop and have their guys sand it for you. That way you can finish it whatever way you want.....

BTW:

You try diff mixes of body filler or duraglass. I usually cover my glassing with duraglass to fill in the bigger imperfections.....sand that with a 40 grit and then cover the piece with a bodyfiller mix. Try to thin out your filler with denatured alcohol, so you can apply it smootly with a brush. Then the sanding will be a lot quicker and easier.

paikiah
10-18-2003, 01:25 PM
I agree iwth spyd3r, go with putty fillers. It'll be easier to work with. :)

PT Teal
10-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks I will try that.
As for having someone else do it. No thanks, I doing this so I can say I did it, and if someone else does it then I can not get the glory