PDA

View Full Version : Sail panel fiberglass question

lil azn 06
06-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I recently wrapped up some tweeter pods and put Bondo resin on them today. My question is do i need to put fiberglass on top as well. I've seen a lot of people not put fiberglass itself on onto sail panels but i have seen some people do it.

The fabric i was using was pretty thick (like sweat pants material). Reason why i ask is because i tried putting the fiberglass mat on top and it was a *****, left many bubbles and wouldn't wrap itself around due to the odd shape (wrapping it with the fabric was also an extreme pain itself). Therefore, i took it off.

So will resin be sturdy enough to hold the tweeters in the sail panels? Thanks.

BassMechkanic
06-30-2009, 01:51 PM
yes

armed
07-01-2009, 12:33 PM
you dont have to...its just a tweeter pod right?
some people do it for midrange because it needs to have a little enclosure
to sound good/better....

it should be fine with bondo resin..sand it and paint it...
now if your using mids...you might need to make you a little enclosure..(sealed)
thats why they use fiberglass...

some people do that just to get the actual shape they want...

ejschultz
07-01-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm having a local guy fiberglass a set of tweeter pods for my sail panels. I just thought it was kinda weird that someone else had a question about it. How are you going to attach them to the car? I'm not sure how I'm going to do mine yet.

SubNit
07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
post up some pics

I wanna see em'

ramos
07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I recently wrapped up some tweeter pods and put Bondo resin on them today. My question is do i need to put fiberglass on top as well. I've seen a lot of people not put fiberglass itself on onto sail panels but i have seen some people do it.

The fabric i was using was pretty thick (like sweat pants material). Reason why i ask is because i tried putting the fiberglass mat on top and it was a *****, left many bubbles and wouldn't wrap itself around due to the odd shape (wrapping it with the fabric was also an extreme pain itself). Therefore, i took it off.

So will resin be sturdy enough to hold the tweeters in the sail panels? Thanks.

Give it a flex test. If you can push on it easy add a layer of reinforced filler aka kitty hair, bondo hair..... If it feels pretty sturdy, go straight to the filler. :)

ramos
07-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm having a local guy fiberglass a set of tweeter pods for my sail panels. I just thought it was kinda weird that someone else had a question about it. How are you going to attach them to the car? I'm not sure how I'm going to do mine yet.

Didn't keep the factory setup? When I do them, I try to retain the factory mounting method. Most of the time it's fairly easy to do so. :)

ejschultz
07-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Didn't keep the factory setup? When I do them, I try to retain the factory mounting method. Most of the time it's fairly easy to do so. :)

Caprices/Impalas did not have any tweeter other than the one on the crappy coax that was in the door. Otherwise, I would have used the factory mounting location.

nineball
07-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Wrap - Resin - Mat/cloth - Resin - Repeat As Needed- Sand - Filler - Sand - Paint/wrap

fasfocus00
07-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Caprices/Impalas did not have any tweeter other than the one on the crappy coax that was in the door. Otherwise, I would have used the factory mounting location.

he not refering to a factory tweeter, he refering to how the sail would normally mount, i.e pop rivets, screw, etc...

ejschultz
07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
he not refering to a factory tweeter, he refering to how the sail would normally mount, i.e pop rivets, screw, etc...

I've got them here right now, but I want a more "flush" look.

mlstrass
07-01-2009, 05:42 PM
were you using matt or cloth? Cloth is much finer and better for stuff like sail panels. I did my first set with matt and it was a *****, but 2nd set I used matt and it was MUCH easier...

I never seem to get any strength only using resin, even 3-4 thick coats....

galacticmonkey
07-01-2009, 05:49 PM
You dont need any matt on the pannels unless your car has some serious SPL. Above 155 I would suggest it unless the resin is reallyyyyyy thick. But you should be fine without it.

nineball
07-01-2009, 08:18 PM
I never seem to get any strength only using resin, even 3-4 thick coats....

You dont need any matt on the pannels unless your car has some serious SPL. Above 155 I would suggest it unless the resin is reallyyyyyy thick. But you should be fine without it.

resin does not add strength alone. resin and cotton/fleece/lycra/any other material does not add strength, the resin will only make the material harden to form a shape. mat or cloth soaked in resin is where the strength comes from.

for pods, unless you are putting out some serious low end from your mids, you can usually get away with just a layer or 2 of cloth/mat. i still do the stand test on every piece i make, pod or sub enclosure. too much strength is never a bad thing.

galacticmonkey
07-01-2009, 08:41 PM
If its just a tiny piece that holds a single tweeter, just a thick coat of resin soaked into some material is strong enough.

ngsm13
07-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Give it a flex test. If you can push on it easy add a layer of reinforced filler aka kitty hair, bondo hair..... If it feels pretty sturdy, go straight to the filler. :)

THIS.

nG

azbass
07-01-2009, 08:46 PM
yeah don't make it harder then it is. soak it with resin. then you can coat it with kitty hair, sand, a little filler for paint or what ever.

Done.

lil azn 06
07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Glad i got back to this post before bondo. Here are the pictures.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/aznattic/IMG_2295.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/aznattic/IMG_2296.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/aznattic/IMG_2294.jpg

They seem to be pretty sturdy. I used thick cloth which seemed to be a mistake but it seems to hold up fine. I could fiberglass it, but i am worried about clearance issues with it fitting in properly as well as it almost hitting the dash.

SubNit
07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Looks good. Post some more pics up when you finish

crash9201
07-15-2009, 02:17 PM
I've got them here right now, but I want a more "flush" look.

drill some holes and screw em on; then glass over it to round off the edges....

lil azn 06
07-17-2009, 09:55 AM
They are pretty close to being done.

Test Fit
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/aznattic/IMG_2301.jpg

Bondo sanded down
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/aznattic/IMG_2307.jpg

From here i think another thin layer of bondo, and then sand from 80 grit to 150 to 320. Should i go any higher with grit sand paper before putting on primer? Wet sand perhaps?

dappa5
07-17-2009, 10:09 AM
NOTE TO ALL POD BUILDERS
use speakercloth instead of fleese of other thicker materials
http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_grill_cloth_fabric_s/25.htm
this is not where I get mine but you get the idea
stretch it really really tight and coat it with two good coats of resin
(pressing in the 1st coat well) sand between coats then smooth with filler of choice
if done correctly will be paint quality but can be covered (vinyl, suede, etc...) or can be flocked which ever you choose you will be mucho mucho mucho pleased with the results
p.s. before you ask I'll try to find some pics and get them posted

ramos
07-17-2009, 10:11 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/moyerme/0708091510.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/moyerme/0708091508.jpg
I must have done it wrong, I didn't use a thread of mat or any kind of cloth :(

dappa5
07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
looks good

lil azn 06
07-29-2009, 03:43 PM
The tweeter pods have come a long way, and i have applied layers of paint on the pods.

I keep running into a problem though. Every time i paint them i seem to get a texture of bumps in certain areas that i am sure are bubbles. I have wet sanded the primer before this with 2000 grit and had to resand the black paint with 2000 grit as well. Still has some small bumps in the paint. Any advice on painting? I honestly believe i **** at painting, and need advice before i start painting something bigger i.e amprack.

tylork92
07-29-2009, 04:24 PM
did you use spot filler to fill in the little imperfections in the regular bondo?...if not just sand the primer down and go get a tube of Spot filler/putty...its comes in a tube and is usually red....this is an important part to getting those little bumps and things outta the way....also MAKE sure the surface is clean when you paint..you may think it is but you need to get a damp microfiber cloth and wipe the area good b4 you spray paint.

WrenchGuy
07-29-2009, 06:25 PM
I just used nylons, resin, and milkshake. For the sail panel pod anyway.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/WrenchGuy420/BrucesStuff001.jpg

lil azn 06
07-30-2009, 12:28 AM
did you use spot filler to fill in the little imperfections in the regular bondo?...if not just sand the primer down and go get a tube of Spot filler/putty...its comes in a tube and is usually red....this is an important part to getting those little bumps and things outta the way....also MAKE sure the surface is clean when you paint..you may think it is but you need to get a damp microfiber cloth and wipe the area good b4 you spray paint.

I don't think i need spot filler since i sanded down the bondo and primer down to 2000 grit before starting. Primer went on fine, it's the final paint that keeps effin up. I think it's the surface is still dirty (I've noticed using paper towels leaves specs of paper) either that or it is bumpy because of the way i am spraying/wind.

lil azn 06
09-04-2009, 07:11 AM
New question. I started painting the amp racks today, and decided to repaint the fiberglass pods. I sanded it down for the most part and proceeded to apply paint in the garage. With no wind, i don't get horrible streaks/bubbles but now the paint runs in certain areas.

Should i sand the paint down to the primer layer? Sort of got lazy and wetsanded the original black paint til it looked and felt smooth. Also, if i do light layers as the paint can suggests, it leaves little "bubble textures" all around. Is this just normal?

Lastly, is sanding of the final coat of paint needed? Or it just wax and buff it?

Thanks