PDA

View Full Version : Laid back VS. Sharp sound

Theride
06-30-2009, 12:04 AM
I read a lot on here and often hear people talk about certain comps(focal, mb quart) are sharp sounding. Then say how comps like morel and hertz are laid back.

wouldn't the shorp comps produce better sound with more detail?

bamaboy
06-30-2009, 12:29 AM
its personal preference

i personally cant stand even one bit of someone stabbing my ears with harshness

i love my hertz, i have them tuned to sounding warm and mellow, hate treble

you just need to go listen to some stuff to see what you want

if you always find yourself adding more treble or such on the eq, then you like bright sound usually

Theride
06-30-2009, 12:33 AM
its personal preference

i personally cant stand even one bit of someone stabbing my ears with harshness

i love my hertz, i have them tuned to sounding warm and mellow, hate treble

you just need to go listen to some stuff to see what you want

if you always find yourself adding more treble or such on the eq, then you like bright sound usually

but the funny thing is. a lot of people like rainbow. i had the SLC and didnt really like them. i also has some 6x9 focal access and loved them.

HOWEVER a lot of people say focals are sharp.

i have the cheap PG right now and i am wondering if im loosing my hearing or they are just not detailed.

but im confused when i read how people love the SLC. Yet to me the tweeter are more annoying than the focal......

bamaboy
06-30-2009, 12:37 AM
i never was a big fan of my rainbow SLC's, just never impressed me

i cant say anything bad about my MLKs though

dont know anything about the PG's

i would just see what you can demo locally and see how you like them

SRim23
06-30-2009, 12:44 AM
but the funny thing is. a lot of people like rainbow. i had the SLC and didnt really like them. i also has some 6x9 focal access and loved them.

HOWEVER a lot of people say focals are sharp.

i have the cheap PG right now and i am wondering if im loosing my hearing or they are just not detailed.

but im confused when i read how people love the SLC. Yet to me the tweeter are more annoying than the focal......

like he said above, its a personal preference. what sounds good to you might not sound good to me. sometimes with car audio its a crap shoot. alot of us go through many different subs, amps, hu's, and comps before we realize what we like or what sounds good in our car. you may love a certain set of comps on a display wall or in your buddies car, but it may not sound the same in someone elses car....

been changing gear in and out for about 3 years now on a consistent basis and am finally finding things i truly like and will probably be happy with for a while.... maybe haha

FJF
06-30-2009, 07:49 AM
I read a lot on here and often hear people talk about certain comps(focal, mb quart) are sharp sounding. Then say how comps like morel and hertz are laid back.

wouldn't the shorp comps produce better sound with more detail?

No, you're comparing two unrelated factors. A speaker's tonal balance is irrelevant to its ability to resolve detail in a recording.

carguy83
06-30-2009, 06:21 PM
IMO for the price, the SLC's are hard to beat.

The whole laid back vs sharp sound is really a personal preference. what you think is sharp can be considered soft for some.

My Iridium tweeters are pretty laid back, but never lacks any detail from any music i throw at them.

James Bang
06-30-2009, 06:40 PM
:confused:..........

galacticmonkey
06-30-2009, 07:22 PM
All car audio comps are pretty laid back to me, but Im used to 2,000rms of pro audio bullet tweeter in my vehicle. :crap:

atsaubrey
06-30-2009, 07:27 PM
I think the Focal or MB Q speakers can be very nice sounding. The metal domes are hard to beat in the detail area but it is usually the on-axis response that gets them in trouble and thats when you hear the complaints.

lyttleviet
06-30-2009, 07:54 PM
its all personal preference, but the SLC tweeter does get a tad annoying :(... With some tuning, it works but I wouldn't consider it my top 3 options in that price range.

captainobvious!
06-30-2009, 10:33 PM
There are many factors in an install that can make a set of drivers sound "laid back" or "sharp". Peaks in FR, breakup, reflections...many things can make a driver sound harsh or sharp in an installation.

MmatsDude
06-30-2009, 10:36 PM
i love the brightness of the tweets, makes u see the bass notes better

James Bang
06-30-2009, 11:10 PM
There are many factors in an install that can make a set of drivers sound "laid back" or "sharp". Peaks in FR, breakup, reflections...many things can make a driver sound harsh or sharp in an installation.

capt obvious to the rescue

RidnClean
06-30-2009, 11:13 PM
i love the brightness of the tweets, makes u see the bass notes better

whats that?

ARSkemp
06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
i prefer a little laid back, but i really dont mind them being a bit harsh. I hate the sound of sibilance (i think thats how u spell it), so as long as there isnt alot of that, i'm happy.

ejschultz
06-30-2009, 11:32 PM
I love the sound I get from my Focals. Then again, I like "in your face" tweeters. They're sharp for sure but easy on the ears at the same time. For my personal preferences, I love them. I haven't heard too many other higher quality component setups. Most systems in my area seem to be 2 12s with 1000 + watts of power and nothing else.