PDA

View Full Version : Show me where you have your tweets!

got-one-eight
06-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I never see many pics of where everyone is placing their tweeters. I would like to get some ideas to play around with my setup.

prcwitt
06-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Mine are in the stock location in the a pillars sound good sometimes pitchy at ear level takes some tweaking.Usually they recommend to put them as close to the woofers as possible.But im not trying to alter anything

Pioneer~Saturn
06-29-2009, 11:42 AM
No pics but mine are in the corners of the dash where the A-pillar begins aiming inwards and up towards the windshield...sounds pretty darn good imo

got-one-eight
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
No pics but mine are in the corners of the dash where the A-pillar begins aiming inwards and up towards the windshield...sounds pretty darn good imo

This is one location I still need to try. Are you following the angle of the windshield or shooting right into it?

Pioneer~Saturn
06-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, theyre aimed inwards a bit and up, but not straight up...they dont quite follow the glass either

James Bang
06-29-2009, 12:32 PM
reflections & cancellations sux.

got-one-eight
06-29-2009, 01:10 PM

Opinion on location?

andrewmoore13
06-29-2009, 01:17 PM
mine are on my dash, stock tweeter location for my Trailblazer.

jpexpc
06-29-2009, 01:19 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/images/2007/06/05/birds_nest_470x353.jpg

ninobrn99
06-29-2009, 01:46 PM
hope this helps:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/expo015-1.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/expo017-1.jpg

ejschultz
06-29-2009, 01:51 PM
I've got mine in the sail panels (behind where the outside mirrors are). I like them there although some may say they're a little harsh. I'm having someone local fiberglass a couple of pods for them so I can get a little more of a factory look with them aimed a little more at me. I'll put up a new thread, unless this one is still going strong, with pics when they get finished. It should look pretty factory when it's done and I know I'll love the sound with them aimed a little more at me. I do prefer a little more of an "in your face" tweeter.

subzero
06-29-2009, 02:01 PM
so where should they be placed? Do you want them directly aim at the listener? And how close do they really have to be to the midrange.?

jmanpc
06-29-2009, 02:04 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/goatboy_521/IMG_0793.jpg

Along the bottom :fyi:

jpexpc
06-29-2009, 02:05 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/goatboy_521/IMG_0793.jpg

Along the bottom :fyi:

lulz

blimblam
06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
im thinking about doing mine at the kickpanel since the area by the door handle isnt flat but extremely curvy.

ejschultz
06-29-2009, 02:50 PM
so where should they be placed? Do you want them directly aim at the listener? And how close do they really have to be to the midrange.?

They should be close to the woofer unless you're going to have an active setup where you could then correct any time alignment between the mid and the tweeter. If you're going passive, I'd recommend going close but it's not the end of the world if you don't. Placement pretty much depends on how you like your tweeters. If you like them like I do, you'd want them aimed right at you. If you like them a little softer, some people put them a little lower in the door or the kick panels. It's really all personal preference.

got-one-eight
06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/images/2007/06/05/birds_nest_470x353.jpg

I seriously called this one before it happened.

jpexpc
06-29-2009, 03:41 PM
I seriously called this one before it happened.

That is the most original thing I have ever come up with. I call BS! :rolleyes:

ramos
06-29-2009, 03:42 PM

Cancelation *****, but reflections can be used to your advantage sometimes :)

ramos
06-29-2009, 03:44 PM
They should be close to the woofer unless you're going to have an active setup where you could then correct any time alignment between the mid and the tweeter. If you're going passive, I'd recommend going close but it's not the end of the world if you don't. Placement pretty much depends on how you like your tweeters. If you like them like I do, you'd want them aimed right at you. If you like them a little softer, some people put them a little lower in the door or the kick panels. It's really all personal preference.

Here all this time I thought people putting tweets in kicks were trying to equalize and maximize path lengths as much as possible :confused:

mlstrass
06-29-2009, 04:28 PM
I've got mine in the sail panels (behind where the outside mirrors are). I like them there although some may say they're a little harsh. I'm having someone local fiberglass a couple of pods for them so I can get a little more of a factory look with them aimed a little more at me. I'll put up a new thread, unless this one is still going strong, with pics when they get finished. It should look pretty factory when it's done and I know I'll love the sound with them aimed a little more at me. I do prefer a little more of an "in your face" tweeter.

if they're a little harsh now, putting them on-axis will only make it worse...

ejschultz
06-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Here all this time I thought people putting tweets in kicks were trying to equalize and maximize path lengths as much as possible :confused:

You're definitely right. It's just from my personal experience, tweeters in the kick panel tend to not "shine" as much as when they're higher up. I've already clarified that it is better for timing and spacial issues to have the mid and tweeter as close as your install and vehicle will allow. However, if you like things to be brighter you may not want them in the kick panels.

ejschultz
06-29-2009, 06:38 PM
if they're a little harsh now, putting them on-axis will only make it worse...

I like them that way and I'd personally like them a little brighter. I'm having them aimed in the listeners' direction because that's how I like it. If someone else isn't satisfied with how it sounds, tuff. It's my car and all that matters in the end is that I like it; as long as I'm not going to be competing.

James Bang
06-29-2009, 06:45 PM
spikes

KOL
06-29-2009, 06:47 PM
You're definitely right. It's just from my personal experience, tweeters in the kick panel tend to not "shine" as much as when they're higher up. I've already clarified that it is better for timing and spacial issues to have the mid and tweeter as close as your install and vehicle will allow. However, if you like things to be brighter you may not want them in the kick panels.

i think your "shine" is comb filter issues due to reflections

my tweets are in the doors braxial mounted to my mids, aimed at the ceiling a couple ft back from the rear view mirror

ejschultz
06-29-2009, 07:03 PM
i think your "shine" is comb filter issues due to reflections

This could possibly be the case.

Nevertheless, in my car, for my preferences, I do not like the tweeters low, partly because of this issue. The other issue I have with the tweeters being low with the woofers is they get muffled when I have another person in the car with me. Like I said, it's my personal preference. I know where they should be for optimal staging and timing, I just don't choose to put them there because of my vehicle. I can attenuate the tweeter with the passive crossover (right now it's not attenuated at all) and if I so choose to, I can go active (the only thing stopping me now is I don't want to lose my rear fill) in the future to help with timing issues created by raising the tweeters about a foot above the mids. As for now, I'm perfectly happy with the sound.