PDA

View Full Version : extruded ports

Savag3
06-29-2009, 01:06 AM
is there a different theory behind extruding or extending the port outside of the box ? i talke to some techs of some mainstream woofer brands and they tell me its the same as a fully enclosed port

Lakota
06-29-2009, 10:08 AM
You are talking about external ports, correct? Having the ports on the outside of the box is a good thing :)

thegreatestpenn
06-29-2009, 10:16 AM
pressure should be different outside of the enclosure compared to inside the enclosure so this could be a factor if the port isn't secured inside the enclosure. For instance if the pressure inside the box is really high and the port is long and only held by 4 screws, it could "ring" or vibrate. I don't know if this affects anything, but its possible. outside the box the pressure around the port would not be has strong so this should not be a problem. I always wondered this when I made boxes with aeroports, but the boxes sounded good so I didn't give it too much thought.

Lakota
06-29-2009, 12:31 PM
The ports do vibrate up and down some externally, but nothing crazy.

roarzorz
06-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Basic airflow. With external ports the air doesn't need to circulate around them inside the box. Make for an easier in/out flow. External ports also helps with loading against panels & corners inside a vehicle without having the box really close to those panels blocking air flow.