PDA

View Full Version : CDA-9887, KDC-X993, or CD5030

Jabbster
06-28-2009, 08:55 PM
My insurance company is comping me a new HU after my Sony CDX-MP70 got jacked.

Trying to decide between the following:

Alpine CDA-9887
Kenwood KDC-X993
Eclipse CD5030

Alpine doesn't include BT or Ipod connectivity, and USB isn't even an upgrade option.

Kenwwood's main downfall seems to be a cumbersome interface. Does it have Bass & Treble, or just the EQ?

I haven't gotten my hands on the Eclipse, so I don't know about it. I found a forum or review somewhere where there were some serious issues with the Eclipse, but I can't seem to relocate the website. I've heard they are a bit slow.

Any input is appreciated.
Okay, I've seen some of the posts here, let me rephrase that.

Any helpful input is greatly appreciated ;)

nineball
06-29-2009, 07:37 AM
cumbersome interface? there is nothing cumbersome about it. the only downfall the x993 has is the clear glass screen cover that is a pain in sunlight.

LazyRider
06-29-2009, 07:55 AM
I just got a Pioneer deh-p5100ub for $113 shipped!!! I can't wait to try it out it looks really good. You should look into that one too.

ejschultz
06-29-2009, 11:45 AM
I would strongly recommend the Pioneer Premier DEH-P800PRS or the DEH-P880PRS. I've got the 800 and the sound controls are awesome.

Jabbster
06-29-2009, 12:40 PM
cumbersome interface? there is nothing cumbersome about it. the only downfall the x993 has is the clear glass screen cover that is a pain in sunlight.

From this post: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397589&highlight=kdc-x993&page=2

@bamaboy: No, you're right, the past couple generations of older two wheeled Excelon's don't do it like I'm looking for either...that's why I was hoping Kenwood would have corrected that F up this time around.

I cannot tell you how annoying it is, for both my brother and I, when using his KDC-X891, to go up and down the FM band, or navigate tracks on the USB memory stick, by perfectly clicking left and right. DON'T accidentally rotate the wheel though when clicking left or right, because then you're into a menu.

If Kenwood would just fix this one thing on their two wheeled decks, they'd have one of the easiest interfaces to use period. Instead, they've created a monster.....

Nice info on the KDC-X693 though...for those that don't care about the insanity right hand wheel setup, it's for sure an awesome deck...the KDC-X993 even more so.

Chuck

I've seen other complaints about the interface beside this. Other than that, this looks like the best bang for the buck by far. But it sounds like you have no problem navigating its menu's? I'm liking it a lot if only I knew that I could get comfortable with the controls.

BeAlLsTaR13
06-29-2009, 12:45 PM
my kenwood has bass, treble, and mid options in the EQ that you can adjust yourself to make custom, or use the pre eq options on there

i havnt had problems with mine at all really, cept this ****** noise from the sub-w preouts, other than that the interface is good IMO

nineball
06-30-2009, 08:25 AM
I've seen other complaints about the interface beside this. Other than that, this looks like the best bang for the buck by far. But it sounds like you have no problem navigating its menu's? I'm liking it a lot if only I knew that I could get comfortable with the controls.

it's like any other piece of new equipment, once you learn how to navigate properly it is not hard at all. plus the bt system is made by parrot so it works perfectly.

nismos14
06-30-2009, 03:25 PM
I just wish the KDC-X993 had a PEQ instead of GEQ.

nineball
06-30-2009, 04:54 PM
I just wish the KDC-X993 had a PEQ instead of GEQ.

true, but independent front and rear channel eq kinda makes up for that.

nuugen
06-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Alpine has this new USB HU which has a butt-load of features in the 200 price point:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-105

Jabbster
06-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Alpine has this new USB HU which has a butt-load of features in the 200 price point:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-105

I'm pretty sold on having an EQ, as opposed to simple Bass/Treble control. If the Alpine CDA 9886 had that I'd be stoked. Alpine needs to include features like Ipod comp., USB, etc without having to buy a bunch of add-on adapters, software, tuning kits, etc. They me be the best, I'm not sure. But they need to be more competitive IMHO.

Jabbster
06-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Okay it's on it's way!
It's weird the way State Farm handles car stereo insurance claims.
They sub them out to a 3'rd party claim company.
At first the claim guy tried to convince me on a $200 HU to replace my $500 HU.
Then he tried to force me into the Eclipse, which might not have been a bad choice. But I started seeing reviews of mediocre Bluetooth, USB that didn't remember where it left off, poor FM reception, very difficult to see daytime display, etc.

nineball - I hope your right about the x993 unit! The specs definately make it look like the winner.

I called State Farm and they worked it out for me to get the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993. It will take a week to get it and a few days for the install, but I'll post an update when it's done.

The moral:
If you really want a particular deck on an insurance claim, and you can prove that your previous unit was equal or better (which is difficult) then it's worth being persistant. It paid off for me :D (I think!)