PDA

View Full Version : ED's Diagram for Ported 12k Box

nosaj070
10-14-2003, 03:31 PM
Hey, im ordering a EDk 12 soon, and am planning on making the box this weekend. Im gonna assume that the plans they give for a box will suit it very well. I will be giving it 160watts to each voice coil, and i need it to be pretty small, trunk of a civic. im also more for sq than spl, but i do want a decent amount of output so i want to go ported. here is the link to the diagram. http://www.edesignaudio.com/im2/boxcuts/12%20rec%20vented.jpg
now, what is the point of the vertical boards near the port? also would they all need to be sealed to each side of the box? thanks a lot

LoneRanger
10-14-2003, 04:03 PM
Hey, im ordering a EDk 12 soon, and am planning on making the box this weekend. Im gonna assume that the plans they give for a box will suit it very well. I will be giving it 160watts to each voice coil, and i need it to be pretty small, trunk of a civic. im also more for sq than spl, but i do want a decent amount of output so i want to go ported. here is the link to the diagram. http://www.edesignaudio.com/im2/boxcuts/12%20rec%20vented.jpg
now, what is the point of the vertical boards near the port? also would they all need to be sealed to each side of the box? thanks a lot

That's a great box and it works very well with the driver.

The vertical boards are the port. The port is longer than the box is deep, so they snake it around like a mouse maze.

Every place that two boards come together needs to be glued, no exceptions. The point of a ported box is to control where the air flows, and if it's leaking anywhere, you're not in control. Glue not only bonds the boards together, but also prevents air from going where it's not supposed to.

nosaj070
10-15-2003, 08:27 AM
If i were to shorten the box a little bit (like a few inches off the width when your looking at it from the front) would that affect the port frequency?

LoneRanger
10-15-2003, 08:44 AM
If i were to shorten the box a little bit (like a few inches off the width when your looking at it from the front) would that affect the port frequency?

yes. that would make the box smaller, therefore reducing the internal airspace and changing the tuning frequency.