PDA

View Full Version : An Excel based Box Calculator

altoncustomtech
06-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Okay guys, please don't rip on me too hard here. I have been trying to create a tool that could take some guess work out of trying to build boxes for certain areas and a quick way to see how an adjustment makes a difference on port length or anything like that. So here it is, I'm putting it out here for field testing. Put it through its paces. All the math seems to work out, please let me know if you find something that's not working.

And please keep the flaming to a minimum, I know it's basic but it's still a decent tool IMO.

Here ya go, we'll try this link first: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nwj0o0mjuji/Box Calculator.xls

csu87
06-25-2009, 09:14 PM
is the port section for a round port or slot port?

GearGuy2001
06-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Ill check it out later but props for contributing to the community

altoncustomtech
06-25-2009, 09:18 PM
is the port section for a round port or slot port?

Right now it's only for round, I'm working on making it cooperate for square and slot, but it's wanting to be difficult.

aaronrchr
06-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Wow this actually a well put together program. Props dude!

altoncustomtech
06-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Wow this actually a well put together program. Props dude!

Thank you very much!

It sure has taken a while to get it to the point I felt good enough about it to have others try it.

altoncustomtech
06-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm gonna bump this thread I guess... would like to hear more opinions

altoncustomtech
06-27-2009, 01:43 PM
just bumping again

DonH
06-27-2009, 01:52 PM
nice lil program...seems correct for round ports just gona b fun for that rectangle port and such...

lil_italy773
06-27-2009, 01:56 PM
yea man this is a nice program thanx for this. cant wait for the square and slotted part to be written!

altoncustomtech
06-28-2009, 11:38 AM
nice lil program...seems correct for round ports just gona b fun for that rectangle port and such...

yea man this is a nice program thanx for this. cant wait for the square and slotted part to be written!

Thanx guys, I'm working hard on it.... figuring the ports is the easy part, getting the port figured with the box sizes and such like it does for the round ports is where it's giving me fits.... I'll get it real soon....

altoncustomtech
06-28-2009, 02:16 PM
IT'S DONE!!!!!!!!!!

Or at least it looks like it is, I have very limited experience using slot ports. However it seems to calculate out good. Give it a try guys and let me know if it's good or not.....

lil_italy773
06-28-2009, 02:27 PM
bump for a good guy helpin us out!

altoncustomtech
06-29-2009, 09:18 PM
bumpin'

altoncustomtech
06-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Bumpin' it again..... for those who haven't seen this yet it's a box calculator that helps you figure box sizes, tuning, and soon to have cut sizes all on the fly so that there's no refiguring and guessing its all available at a glance.... let me know what you guys think of this.....

altoncustomtech
07-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Bumpin' it again cuz its been a few days....

kendogg
07-03-2009, 10:41 PM
The only input I have is some of your inputs/calculations are in SAE, and some are metric. If you could standardize that to all one, then that would make life significantly easier. Regardless, it's still pretty badazz, just need a converter handy to convert from metric to ASE or back.

altoncustomtech
07-04-2009, 02:00 AM
The only input I have is some of your inputs/calculations are in SAE, and some are metric. If you could standardize that to all one, then that would make life significantly easier. Regardless, it's still pretty badazz, just need a converter handy to convert from metric to ASE or back.

All the measurements a person uses are SAE.... The metric conversions are because the port calculation HAS to be done in metric... it's the same one Vance Dickason uses in his books.... I'll just make the Metric conversions invisible so no one gets confused....

Here ya go, the program with the Metric conversions made invisible so there's no confusion on what's what: http://www.mediafire.com/file/iz5xy5zammm/Box Calculator.xls

altoncustomtech
07-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Bump for the day

blackbonnie
07-05-2009, 02:15 PM
i built my own and it works very well. havent checked yours out, but i love mine.

mine takes into account everything, all displacements, sub, wood, port, even wire if i need it to.

input what size wood your using, port length will give you your tuning,round or slot port, net and gross volume. it has everything you need except giving you a cut sheet.

i love it and have used it for every box i built. i sat down and put about a total of 4-5 hours into it, and double and triple checkd its outcome with my math, and 2 of my professors math, and it comes out almost to the exact answer that we got everytime. its like .00000 something off, but nothing to effect your box outcome.

altoncustomtech
07-05-2009, 02:22 PM
i built my own and it works very well. havent checked yours out, but i love mine.

mine takes into account everything, all displacements, sub, wood, port, even wire if i need it to.

input what size wood your using, port length will give you your tuning,round or slot port, net and gross volume. it has everything you need except giving you a cut sheet.

i love it and have used it for every box i built. i sat down and put about a total of 4-5 hours into it, and double and triple checkd its outcome with my math, and 2 of my professors math, and it comes out almost to the exact answer that we got everytime. its like .00000 something off, but nothing to effect your box outcome.

Kewl..... thats pretty much what this one does with the exception that it will give you the third dimension when you give it two..... say you measured your trunk and have 38" in width and 16" in height, punch them two numbers in and it will give you the depth you need to achieve whatever volume and tuning you're looking for..... and the cutouts are what I'm working on next!!!!!!

altoncustomtech
07-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Bumpin' the thread..... :p:

altoncustomtech
07-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Bumpin' the thread again...