PDA

View Full Version : mid sounds blown... sometimes

5dollapizza
06-24-2009, 03:12 AM
first off, specs. fosgate power 6.5's with 85rms going to them with high pass at 80hz. i have this sound like the speaker is blown that happens probably once or twice a week. starts very quiet and builds over ten to fifteen seconds til it's as loud as the music. if i turn up the volume slowly, it gains. if i crank the volume quickly, it goes away for 15-20 seconds then builds again. doesn't always make this strange sound, but when it does those symptoms occur everytime. any ideas?

5dollapizza
06-25-2009, 03:39 PM
nothing? when i bought them (new) one mid felt kinda scratchy. possibly assembled wrong at the factory?

l7runner
06-25-2009, 03:41 PM
be sure to check your RCA's and grounding points carefully, I have had similar issues with loose RCA's

5dollapizza
06-25-2009, 03:45 PM
i thought the same, already switched the rca's (left to right) and sound remained on the driver's door speaker. haven't check my ground for my amp yet, but could the ground cause this sound to appear on just one speaker (of four hooked up to it)?

Rich B
06-25-2009, 03:46 PM
A bad cap in the amp discharging maybe?

l7runner
06-25-2009, 03:58 PM
your speaker wires could also be shorting out on some body panel...check to make sure they aren't pinched

5dollapizza
06-25-2009, 04:35 PM
your speaker wires could also be shorting out on some body panel...check to make sure they aren't pinched

i have no idea how i overlooked this. sounds like a good afternoon project :)

5dollapizza
06-26-2009, 01:42 AM
checked for shorts, nothing. ALL the way back to the amp. even swapped wires with the tweeter to make sure there wasn't a little knick i missed. i'm really running out of ideas here short of trying to talk the guy i know at the stereo shop here to trade me for one in the box and send his back under warranty (which i doubt would happen).

if anyone else has any ideas of what this could be i'd really appreciate it. thanks.

JeepBeats96JGC
06-26-2009, 05:47 AM
do you have a passive crossover on the speaker? maybe the crossover went bad???

5dollapizza
06-26-2009, 11:24 PM
nope. straight to the amp running active off an 8443. this is really driving me crazy lol. if there's anyone local to sacramento willing to check this over with me i'll supply the beer. just send me a pm.

lincolntc690
06-26-2009, 11:29 PM
coil maybe starting to come unwound, happened to my 6x9 about a month or so ago

BeAlLsTaR13
06-26-2009, 11:37 PM
try to look and see if there are any little cuts in any speaker wire that could be touching the chassis, i had a problem like this which was caused by my LOC grounding to the chassis, or the speaker terminals could be grounding to metal where their mounted i had this prob when i installed my front comps, the terminals on the mid bass speaker were touching a little metal, i just had to rotate them a bit to where they didnt touch then mount them.

5dollapizza
06-27-2009, 12:18 AM
coil maybe starting to come unwound, happened to my 6x9 about a month or so ago
i am really starting to think it's something like this. probably gonna be getting a pair of morels this time. only got the fosgate cause they were brand new for $100

try to look and see if there are any little cuts in any speaker wire that could be touching the chassis, i had a problem like this which was caused by my LOC grounding to the chassis, or the speaker terminals could be grounding to metal where their mounted i had this prob when i installed my front comps, the terminals on the mid bass speaker were touching a little metal, i just had to rotate them a bit to where they didnt touch then mount them.
i switched the wires from woofer to tweeter (and again of the amp of course) after my initial inspection of the wires showed no signs of damage. still same effect :crap:

i do remember from the install that there is nothing within 3 inches of the speaker. has a strange almost rubber that the woofer mounts to and then nothing behind it, it's actually angled toward me from the factory if that tells you how far away from the door and window mechanism it is.

thank you everyone for the awesome advice but unless someone comes in with a f.cking magic wand and fixes this i'm just gonna switch back to my fanaticQ's til i can afford the Tempo6's.