PDA

View Full Version : Rear Midbass

Flipx99
06-23-2009, 02:49 PM
I tried a bit of searching here and there for some info about setting up a 3 way active "frontstage" but the midbass (80 - 350 Hz) plays in the rear. I thought I read something about this a while back. I'd be interested in any user experiences or links saying this is a good idea or bad idea....something to the effect of one cannot localize less than 350 Hz so a rear midbass isn't that big of a deal.

Beerdrnkr
06-23-2009, 03:11 PM
The human voice goes down to about 200hz so you can definately localize the sound. There's been plenty of talk on this topic over on Diyma. It's not a good idea unless maybe you have T/A available and are only going up to about 150hz on your midbass. I was also considering throwing in another set of midbass drivers in my rear doors but then I'd have to get more processing too.

FoxPro5
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
The human voice goes down to about 200hz so you can definately localize the sound. There's been plenty of talk on this topic over on Diyma. It's not a good idea unless maybe you have T/A available and are only going up to about 150hz on your midbass. I was also considering throwing in another set of midbass drivers in my rear doors but then I'd have to get more processing too.

Even lower by some charts: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Cant see your everyday car audio hack (no offense to anyone, just couldn't find a better word) pulling this type of thing off. If those doors give away their location at all, I imagine it will sound like poo.

But yes, you can get away with omni-directional sources if you cannot hear them. One of the purposes of MB's in an a car is to affect ITD. (search it).

James Bang
06-23-2009, 06:52 PM
didn't warewolf post something "circle of confusion" on this?

PaulD
06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
most of wolfie's stuff went away when ECA went **** up

Flipx99
06-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Fair enough....back to a 2-way active frontstage.

Flipx99
06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
FWIW, it would be in the rear panels of my Ranger...which are closer than the mids. Seems like if you can localize, it would pull the stage back, even if it's a couple feet.

its_bacon12
06-24-2009, 04:06 PM
You may not be able to localize the waves in theory but the diffraction caused by your head causes different amplitudes to each ear so you could still get some localization.

If you were to do it, I'd say run them no higher than 125-150 hz or so. Plus down near the kicks, for the midbass region atleast, you get some sort of corner loading effect under the dash which would make putting them on the rears a little less apparent, making them sound a little thinner.

thehardknoxlife
06-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Every time I think rear midbass, I always think about this car.

http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/subsandmidwoofers-sm.jpg

FoxPro5
06-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Every time I think rear midbass, I always think about this car.

http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/subsandmidwoofers-sm.jpg

Keep in mind who built that car (not RC IIRC, but Speaker Works...could be wrong) and the type of processing used. How many hours and how much planning at the least. If it works so well, why don't you see it done more frequently in competition today?

Also, the horns up front were probably so powerful and captivating your brain didn't have a chance to try to figure anything out.

FoxPro5
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
didn't warewolf post something "circle of confusion" on this?

Never heard of warewolf. You fall off your ninja ladder again, James? Told you to tie those knots super tight. :laugh: