PDA

View Full Version : Wattage deviding on components.

got-one-eight
06-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I had never really thought of this until I wanted to Bi-Amp. If I have a JL 300/2 on a set of components. Do the mid and tweets get an even 75W per driver?

djman37
06-23-2009, 09:21 AM
I had never really thought of this until I wanted to Bi-Amp. If I have a JL 300/2 on a set of components. Do the mid and tweets get an even 75W per driver?

NOOOOOO.

got-one-eight
06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
NOOOOOO.

Any idea how to calculate what each is getting?

ciaonzo
06-23-2009, 11:47 AM
It changes dynamically with frequency response. They share the power most in the crossover region.

got-one-eight
06-23-2009, 11:55 AM
It changes dynamically with frequency response. They share the power most in the crossover region.

ahh crap I didn't think about the cutoff points... that makes sense.

djman37
06-23-2009, 11:59 AM

it would still down quite a bit from 75w. dang a 0db 2.5khz tone..that would be :eek: then like:crazy: then more like :crying:

i guess you could put a DMM on the tweet outputs on AC voltage | peak hold and see? I'd seriously doubt they'd see more than 25 watts.

ejschultz
06-23-2009, 11:59 AM
The way I understand it is the mid range will get 150 watts in it's frequency range and the tweeter will get 150 watts in it's frequency range. The crossover is there to divide the power into the proper ranges. For example, you may have a passive crossover with a crossover point of 3500 hz. this means that the roll off point for both the mid and tweeter are at 3500 hz with some sort of slope. The mid will not get too high above the 3500 hz and the tweeter will not get too much below that. Again, this will depend on how steep of a slope the crossover has. Essentially, everything at and below 3500 hz will play on the mid with 150 watts of power. Everything at and above 3500 hz will play on the tweeter with 150 watts of power. Now, the tweeter may be receiving a little less power than the woofer if there is a tweeter attenuator on the crossover and you're using it. Also, some crossovers have resistors to absorb some of the power that would otherwise be going to the tweeter in order to protect it. Some also use little fuses that blow if the power gets to be too much for the tweeter. This is my understanding of how components use crossovers to divide the power. Anyone correct me if I'm incorrect.

ejschultz
06-23-2009, 12:01 PM
I think I missed your question after going back and reading it again...

ciaonzo
06-23-2009, 12:02 PM
This article seems pertinent to your objective. Just food for thought.

http://sound.westhost.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm

ejschultz
06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
The way I get the question is you're going to go active but use a 2 channel amp and run the tweeters in parallel off one channel and the woofers in parallel off the other?

ejschultz
06-23-2009, 12:09 PM
^^^^If this is the case, why would you want to do that. You're only gaining the benefit of changing the crossover point. You wouldn't be able to do anything with time alignment or possibly phasing.

nismos14
06-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Also the tweets may have a higher resistance reading than the midbass.

djman37
06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Any idea how to calculate what each is getting?

if you still use the crossover, but in bi-amp mode, the crossover point and power protection I would imagine are still in place. an advantage is that now you could delay the drivers independently using an active capable HU.
you CANNOT however put two drivers on a crossover as that lowers the impedance and changes the crossover points.
on my active setup, i have the mids at 0db and the tweets at like -14 db, so you really don't need as much power to tweets...the extra wattage is transferred to HEAT in the crossover and that's not a good thing.

got-one-eight
06-26-2009, 09:00 AM
I didn't plan on going active with a 2 channel. I just picked up a 4 channel to bi-amp my Morel's and was trying to get an idea of how much power the tweet an mid was getting from the 150 per side. I didn't really think the question through. I plan on sticking a 450/4 on the setup so 150x2 to the mids and 75x2 to the tweets. This gives me independent gain controls so I can get the tweeter attenuation just right.