PDA

View Full Version : Hemp covered box

gotparts90
06-20-2009, 06:09 PM
I am doing a box soon and was thinking after it was built to cover it in hemp for the final layer of glass. What resin is the clear type used for carbon fiber and such? I want to see the hemp fiber.

HypnoticCure
06-20-2009, 07:27 PM
most resin is clear.... you can use westsystem i know that drys rather clear...

gotparts90
06-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Most I have used has a yellowish tint to it that would look ugly and I want the clearest resin I can get for a final top coat. Clear like a gel coat.

HypnoticCure
06-22-2009, 04:00 PM
lets think about this one.... Yes most resin will have a touch of a yellow/brown tint... in fact i know of none that are 100% transparent but your wanting to resin hemp that is yellowish/brown anyways.... if its thin enough you probably wont notice the color of the resin...

Ronix
06-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Epoxies are usually clear as are acrylic resins. :)

Go to pool, boat, and fiberglass shops and see what they have. Even if they dont sell the products to the public normally, they will usually cut you a brake on the side. A small B&M boat repair shop is where I get all of my fiberglass stuff. I just called the place and then went down to talk to the manager and he gave me his personal cell. He sells it to me almost at his cost (cheap because he buys in bulk).