PDA

View Full Version : Getting conflicting reports on video playback combo: ddx512 + ipod touch

jb1dsl
06-18-2009, 05:58 PM
i have been reading up alot and am still confused. does the ipod touch have video playback with the kenwood ddx512. Do i need to do the 2.4.0 firmware upgrade?? On the kenwood website it says it is compatible with the 300v and 301v ipod cables, for the 301v it says get the latest firmware. Is anyone running the 301v cable and what firmware?? Right now i just have the standard cables that came with it. I need to know because i want to buy a ipod touch and cable asap. Also if anyone has done the 2.4.0 upgrade, could you explain how to do it better, kenwood website is very vague. I have downloaded the zip file and now need to know what to do with it.

Thanks

jb1dsl
06-19-2009, 07:45 AM
anyone?

XTRProBoy
06-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Hate to say it but you answered your own question. You need the iP301V cable to properly support the iPhone and you need the 2009-02-26 update for your DDX512 for it to properly support the iP301V cable.

Compatibility list here:
http://www.kenwood.com/i/kca-ip/eng.html

Update page here:
http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firmware/2008/eng.html

Detailed update instructions here (.pdf):
http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firmware/2008/pdf/0809Navi-Multi_R_FWverup_en.pdf

I don't get it though... You seem to have found all this info already but are still asking :confused:

jb1dsl
06-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Because some people still say this is not working for them, so i thought i would ask to get concrete info. I do not know if the people who said it were using the 300 or 301v cable and what firmware they were running.

XTRProBoy
06-19-2009, 02:55 PM
People have reported the combination working on the Crutchfield forum. From what I can see, the only difference between the 300v and the 301v is for iPhone compatibility. I'm assuming it's so you don't get that "not designed for this iPod" message and operation bugs and/or non-charging issues? The normal iPod touch should work even with the 300V cable, with the latest firmware.

jb1dsl
06-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Well i got a ipod touch today for fathers day and I got confirmation from Kenwood that the touch, 301v and 2.4.0 firmware is a confirmed working combo on the ddx512. I upgraded the firmware to 2.4.0 today so now all i need is the 301v cable.

here is kenwood:

Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. As an authorized agent for Kenwood, we are responding to your recent email inquiry.

The ver. 2.4.0 firmware update for the DDX-512 is only necessary if you plan to use the KCA-IP301V adapter cable. And, yes, you should be fully capable of playing videos from your iPod after installing this firmware update. The only limitations to video playback from an iPod would still be dependant on whether the video file is protected with Data Rights Management tags.
As stated in the instructions that can be downloaded with the ver. 2.4.0 firmware update,

2. Decompress the downloaded file.
3. Burn the decompressed file onto a Disc Media.

.ZIP is a file compression format that is used to make downloadable files easier to transfer to your PC. Before burning the update files stored within the .ZIP compression file, you will need to decompress the information.

Please feel free to contact us again with any additional questions.

Thanks