PDA

View Full Version : Post your Alpine CDA-9887 dislikes..

CJL
06-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Thinking about getting a Alpine 9887 and I was wondering what are the cons of it.

My main source of music will be from my ipod so,ipod playback is epic uber important,how is its interface?

Zellner
06-17-2009, 09:04 PM
I WANT TO BUY ONE! So if anyones looking to get rid of one PM me please

twisztdpunisher
06-17-2009, 09:05 PM
ive had mine about a year now and before this the 9885 imo there are no cons...
i love the headunit very much. ipod interface is excellent. great headunit..

Buck
06-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I haven't put mine in yet but if you get into the eq settings you have to press like 20 different buttons in order to ind your way.

Jeremy M
06-17-2009, 09:07 PM
interface is decent...i wish there was a faster way to search through the songs.

CJL
06-17-2009, 09:13 PM
A couple things ive read was that,you cant go pick a different playlist,artist,song,ect while shuffle is on(ipod src) and another one was you cannont control sub options(level,phase,ect) with multieq on.

?

groundpound4200
06-17-2009, 09:31 PM
It's confusing to navigate through the menus is my only complaint.

WildSebring
06-17-2009, 09:32 PM
I got used to it.

It was confusing at first, but once you sat down and learned it, it was easy to use.

A tad slow, but it didn't bother me all that much.

I loved it. :)

KOL
06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
you cannont control sub options(level,phase,ect) with multieq on.

?
really?..that^ *****

also no individual l/r eq:(

ejschultz
06-18-2009, 11:04 AM
really?..that^ *****

also no individual l/r eq:(

The Pioneer Premeir DEH-P800PRS has independent L/R control with it's 16 band graphic eq and it's crossover (3 way or 2 way). You can get a pretty good deal on one if you shop around. The DEH-P880PRS is almost the same unit except the face is silver instead of black and it does not have a copper plated chassis like the 800.

bigaudiofanati2
06-18-2009, 11:06 AM
I have not complaints about it from wheat I have seen and read that has everything I need. Also it is an Alpine simply the best.

dman4486
06-18-2009, 11:13 AM
The Pioneer Premeir DEH-P800PRS has independent L/R control with it's 16 band graphic eq and it's crossover (3 way or 2 way). You can get a pretty good deal on one if you shop around. The DEH-P880PRS is almost the same unit except the face is silver instead of black and it does not have a copper plated chassis like the 800.

I wanna PRS:(

my only complaint about either unit is that neither is in my vehicle....

ejschultz
06-18-2009, 11:17 AM
I wanna PRS:(

my only complaint about either unit is that neither is in my vehicle....

I used to use an Alpine CDA-9855. I was very skeptical to change brands. I finally did it and I don't think I'll ever go back. It's a great deck. The guy at a local place tried to sell me his display of the 880 because he knew the 800 was coming out and wanted to get it in his wall. I really wanted the 800 because of the black faceplate and the copper plated chassis. I ended up getting it from 6ave.com through amazon.com. I got a great price on it and receipt from an authorized dealer. I figured I couldn't beat that. The lowest price I could find was only like $10 bucks cheaper and wasn't from an authorized dealer.

dman4486
06-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I used to use an Alpine CDA-9855. I was very skeptical to change brands. I finally did it and I don't think I'll ever go back. It's a great deck. The guy at a local place tried to sell me his display of the 880 because he knew the 800 was coming out and wanted to get it in his wall. I really wanted the 800 because of the black faceplate and the copper plated chassis. I ended up getting it from 6ave.com through amazon.com. I got a great price on it and receipt from an authorized dealer. I figured I couldn't beat that. The lowest price I could find was only like $10 bucks cheaper and wasn't from an authorized dealer.

after having my pioneer and playing with all the rest, I will never use anybody else until they make some serious improvements with the interface

wu501
06-18-2009, 11:25 AM
the buttons around the volume know feel cheap and flimsy imo.

ejschultz
06-18-2009, 11:32 AM

Evey 2005 and up Alpine I've used feels like that.

FJF
06-18-2009, 11:34 AM
The Pioneer Premeir DEH-P800PRS has independent L/R control with it's 16 band graphic eq and it's crossover (3 way or 2 way).

True. I had a 880. It's tuning features are much better than the 9887's, as illustrated above. If I could make a change in the Alpine, I'd opt for the Pioneer's L/R EQ and the ability to switch phase for individual drivers. This said, I prefer the Alpine. For my needs, that are automotively driven, using the Pioneer was an ergonomic nightmare. I can control the Alpine (while driving) without even looking at the deck. Not so with the Pioneer. Ultimately, the choice of deck depends on individual preferences. If audio took precedent, I'd still have the Pioneer. As a car guy mostly interested in the act of driving, the Alpine is a better choice.

ejschultz
06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
True. I had a 880. It's tuning features are much better than the 9887's, as illustrated above. If I could make a change in the Alpine, I'd opt for the Pioneer's L/R EQ and the ability to switch phase for individual drivers. This said, I prefer the Alpine. For my needs, that are automotively driven, using the Pioneer was an ergonomic nightmare. I can control the Alpine (while driving) without even looking at the deck. Not so with the Pioneer. Ultimately, the choice of deck depends on individual preferences. If audio took precedent, I'd still have the Pioneer. As a car guy mostly interested in the act of driving, the Alpine is a better choice.

I do agree to some extent. The controls on the Alpine are all pretty much on the left side of the unit which makes it a lot easier to use without looking. My Caprice is not my daily driver so I don't get to use my 800 all the time. Every time I take the car out I do get more and more used to the layout and looking at it while I'm driving isn't necessary for most functions. Obviously looking for a certain song on an iPod or tuning the EQ would require attention on any HU.

av8ter
06-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Amen. It seems like Alpine's finish just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper the newer they get. My ratty old 9883 has me yearning for a Premier........

Kevin

GlocksRock
06-18-2009, 02:45 PM
I love my 9887, but it would be nice if you could tune to your personal preferences after you run the imprint kit. But once you learn the interface, it's not bad at all, and the ipod interface is fine. It won't charge the ipod touch 2nd gen, or 4th gen ipod nano.

chaunb3400
06-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Slow, didnt have a motorized face plate, kinda confusing at first...

I have a 880prs if anybody is interested

James Bang
06-18-2009, 02:53 PM

Evey 2005 and up Alpine I've used feels like that.

new alpine = weak.

dman4486
06-18-2009, 03:10 PM

how much?

Sarthos
06-18-2009, 03:12 PM
how much?

X2

dman4486
06-18-2009, 03:15 PM

how much?

I can make payments?:greedy:

CJL
06-21-2009, 10:32 PM
How do you use the Alpines active xover? heres a quote from the manual....

Built-In Crossover: This unit is equipped with a built-in active crossover. The crossover limits the frequencies delivered to the unit's speaker and line-level outputs. Each channel is controlled independently so each speaker pair can be driven by the frequencies for which they have been optimally designed to produce. The crossover adjusts the high pass filter or low pass filter of each band along with the slope. You can adjust the following crossover settings.

* High Pass Filter: The front and rear speaker outputs or line-level outputs can be set to filter out low frequencies below 20 to 200 Hz with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct. In addition you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB.
* Low Pass Filter: The subwoofer line-level outputs can be set to filter out high frequencies above 20 to 200 Hz with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct. In addition you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB.

Why can you only go up to 200hz?

CJL
06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
bump

dtbrown
06-27-2009, 01:47 AM
I only used pioneer before my alpine but every pioneer that I've ever owned and friends that owned the RCA ouputs all failed due to the way pioneer does something with the grounding internally. I've had Alpine ever since and love them. But now the new Pioneer DEH-P710BT looks killer and has everything I want. But I'm really afraid of the rca ouputs failing again.

Alpine4life89
06-27-2009, 01:55 AM
you have to flip it open to insert a cd. That is it. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

fbi90909
06-27-2009, 02:01 AM
no pink back lighting. highly disappointed.

FJF
06-27-2009, 02:59 AM
you have to flip it open to insert a cd.

To me, that's a feature. ;)

CJL
06-27-2009, 12:54 PM
How do you use the Alpines active xover? heres a quote from the manual....

Built-In Crossover: This unit is equipped with a built-in active crossover. The crossover limits the frequencies delivered to the unit's speaker and line-level outputs. Each channel is controlled independently so each speaker pair can be driven by the frequencies for which they have been optimally designed to produce. The crossover adjusts the high pass filter or low pass filter of each band along with the slope. You can adjust the following crossover settings.

* High Pass Filter: The front and rear speaker outputs or line-level outputs can be set to filter out low frequencies below 20 to 200 Hz with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct. In addition you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB.
* Low Pass Filter: The subwoofer line-level outputs can be set to filter out high frequencies above 20 to 200 Hz with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct. In addition you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB.

Why can you only go up to 200hz?

???

NObodys running their alpine activE?

FJF
06-27-2009, 01:36 PM
???

NObodys running their alpine activE?

The unit has a 3-way x-over. The passage you quoted refers solely to the LPF and the HPF. Meaning, the sub and the front. It's limited to 200Hz, because there's no reason to crossover the sub at a higher frequency. I don't mean to sound crass, but if that wasn't brutally obvious, you shouldn't be thinking of an active config. Good luck.

bass_lover1
06-27-2009, 01:37 PM
That's for when you are in F/R/S mode, in 3-way active mode only the sub is 20-200hz IIRC, every other channel is fully customizable from 20-20Khz.

If I could change anything, it would be the ****** EQ. A L/R 16 band like the 880 has would be fantastic.

lincolntc690
06-27-2009, 01:51 PM
the only thing i dont like is the face isnt motorized. i traded my first 9887 to i think jeremy m for an 880, once i got used to the motorized face on the 880 my friend ordered a 9887 and it wouldn't fit in his park ave. so i gave him the 880 and i would forget to close the face:D

CJL
06-28-2009, 03:19 AM
I don't mean to sound crass, but if that wasn't brutally obvious, you shouldn't be thinking of an active config. Good luck.

cAn U tEacH m3 hoW tO active?

:rolleyes:

FJF
06-28-2009, 05:57 AM
cAn U tEacH m3 hoW tO active?

:rolleyes:

What's with the rolling eyes? I'm not the one who had no idea why a LPF didn't extend past 200Hz, nor am I the one who was too clueless to cite the correct part of the manual. Can you briefly explain how you plan on tuning an active system without even a general understanding of the most simple concepts? You'll have to forgive my amusement, given the cranial density at hand and the almost 3500 posts you've uploaded to this forum, without so much as a basic grasp of audio.

CJL
06-28-2009, 03:40 PM
What's with the rolling eyes? I'm not the one who had no idea why a LPF didn't extend past 200Hz, nor am I the one who was too clueless to cite the correct part of the manual. Can you briefly explain how you plan on tuning an active system without even a general understanding of the most simple concepts? You'll have to forgive my amusement, given the cranial density at hand and the almost 3500 posts you've uploaded to this forum, without so much as a basic grasp of audio.

:hilariou::hilariou::hilariou::hilariou::hilariou: :hilariou:

Are you done yet?

:laugh:

FJF
06-28-2009, 04:06 PM
:hilariou::hilariou::hilariou::hilariou::hilariou: :hilariou:

Are you done yet?

Clearly, you couldn't think of anything to say, but felt like you had to post something to further illustrate an unyielding lack of grey matter. I'm certainly not going to stop you.

RowJoe
06-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Sometimes my butt cheeks itch.

Macklessdaddy
06-28-2009, 04:31 PM

that **** was funny

CJL
Clearly, you couldn't think of anything to say, but felt like you had to post something to further illustrate an unyielding lack of grey matter. I'm certainly not going to stop you.

Clearly, you still seem to think I have to answer your question.

CJL
that **** was funny

very.

Macklessdaddy
06-28-2009, 04:35 PM
very.

very very very,hell I'm still laughing:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

CJL
06-28-2009, 04:39 PM
very very very,hell I'm still laughing:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rich B
06-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Compared to older (cheaper) Alpines the 9887's display is unexciting.

No color on a "top of the line" HU?

They should be shot.

FJF
06-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Clearly, you still seem to think I have to answer your question.

Does this mean you've finally found the right page in the manual?

CJL
06-28-2009, 05:37 PM
http://www.schhh-movies.net/images/screens/Are%20We%20Done%20Yet.jpg

CJL
06-28-2009, 05:48 PM
And yes I did. I was reading the manual to Alpine's amps.

FJF
06-28-2009, 06:03 PM
http://www.schhh-movies.net/images/screens/Are%20We%20Done%20Yet.jpg

If you want to be done, why do you keep poasting? The quote above doesn't even have any original text attached to it. Obviously, you can't think of anything to say, but you keep uploading messages crying and pleading for it all to end. Worse, you're now uploading two posts for every one of mine, still crying. Can you please name the person holding a gun to your head forcing you to keep typing? This would have been my turn to laugh, if it ultimately weren't so sad.

CJL
06-28-2009, 06:45 PM
If you want to be done, why do you keep poasting? The quote above doesn't even have any original text attached to it. Obviously, you can't think of anything to say, but you keep uploading messages crying and pleading for it all to end. Worse, you're now uploading two posts for every one of mine, still crying. Can you please name the person holding a gun to your head forcing you to keep typing? This would have been my turn to laugh, it it ultimately weren't so sad.

Why do you keep thinking I have to ''think of something to say'' to you?

Proximity
06-28-2009, 06:53 PM
I love mine. Worth the money.

FJF
06-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Why do you keep thinking I have to ''think of something to say'' to you?

I know you're not the brightest soul around, but I think we've hit a new low. Folks communicate via the written word like the text found on a discussion forum. As you're uploading messages aimed at a specific individual, you're trying to communicate an idea to that person. Except, you have nothing to offer, so you post messages almost solely consisting of emoticons, mindless pics, and nonsensical verbiage. Next, I'll be happy to explain why boiling water is hot, and any other ridiculously obvious concepts that seem to elude you. Ironically, you once again had nothing to say, and managed to paint yourself as an even bigger raging cretin in the process. With all this in mind, let no one tell you that being stupid isn't hard work. :laugh:

CJL
06-28-2009, 07:19 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Alpine4life89
06-28-2009, 07:21 PM
i like **** in my butt. It's more pleasurable than reading this horseshit.

speedfreak28
06-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I know you're not the brightest soul around, but I think we've hit a new low. Folks communicate via the written word like the text found on a discussion forum. As you're uploading messages aimed at a specific individual, you're trying to communicate an idea to that person. Except, you have nothing to offer, so you post messages almost solely consisting of emoticons, mindless pics, and nonsensical verbiage. Next, I'll be happy to explain why boiling water is hot, and any other ridiculously obvious concepts that seem to elude you. Ironically, you once again had nothing to say, and managed to paint yourself as an even bigger raging cretin in the process. With all this in mind, let no one tell you that being stupid isn't hard work. :laugh:

LOL, surely at this point you know that when people on this forum are called out on their lack of knowledge they resort to flaming or posting stupid pictures to avoid the question at hand

FJF
06-28-2009, 07:34 PM

You must be the OP's long lost twin. Somewhere on your planet there must be an explanation for taking the time to post only to say that you didn't like the (err...) posts, as if someone forced you to go through the 4 pages of text. Was this stroke of brilliance inspired by the OP pleading for end, while uploading an even greater number of replies?

Macklessdaddy
06-28-2009, 08:05 PM
note to self

DO NOT get into a war of words with FJF:D

CJL
06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
note to self

DO NOT get into a war of words with FJF:D

x2

CJL
06-28-2009, 08:32 PM
LOL, surely at this point you know that when people on this forum are called out on their lack of knowledge they resort to flaming or posting stupid pictures to avoid the question at hand

You can call people out on the internet?

Wow shits serious.

CJL
06-28-2009, 08:32 PM

Hi brother