PDA

View Full Version : Question about blown speaker

peers
06-17-2009, 05:21 PM
I drive a 2003 Honda accord with factory speakers and a factory head unit. I've been wanting to upgrade the sound system in it for quite some time but I've been putting it off. My front two speakers blew so now I'm forced to replace the speakers. I know very little about car audio (other than to stay away from best buy) so excuse any stupidity. My speakers blew in kind of a strange way so I want to make sure there isn't a problem with my car that might effect any new speakers I put in.

I was on a three hour drive when I noticed that the front two speakers had gone out (music was quiet at the time). After a minute or so I, and everyone else in the car, noticed a burning plastic smell and when the stereo was on there was a very high pitch noise coming from the front two speakers so I turned it off and left it off for a couple days. A few days later I turned it on and everything seemed fine, the speakers worked and there was no high pitch noise coming out so I thought everything was fine. After another three hour drive back home right as I got home my front right speaker blew and just makes that horrible crackling noise, but the front left is fine.

I was curious if this was normal, or if there's anything I should look into getting fixed before I add new speakers. I am pretty sure a burning smell is not customary for when speakers die, but I could be wrong. I didn't want to install new speakers, only to have them blow because something in my car was borked that I needed to get fixed.