PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow speaker making raspy/gurgly noise during some frequencies?

ls1pimp
06-17-2009, 09:33 AM
This is hard for me to describe. I have a pair of Rainbow SLC 265's that I've had for a few years. Recently, the left speaker has some heavy additional noise in it on top of the music, during some frequencies, usually during the "breakdown" of electronic songs or other baseless parts of songs, there is a loud raspy and gurgly noise coming through the speaker. The music still sounds fine and the speaker doesn't sound blown, but it is making a raspy/scratchy noise on top of the music during some frequencies. So the actual music still sounds fine, but there is all kinds of additional noise coming through.

Any ideas what this might be? Seems like it happens near the crossover point between bass/mid range in the speakers.

KOL
06-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Check your connections, maybe a wire has gotten loose.

headless
06-18-2009, 08:47 AM
I had a similar problem with one of my germanium woofers - something came unglued or some such; I couldn't see what from the outside of the speaker and didn't know how to take it apart :).

The speaker still played, but it sounded...well...kinda raspy.

Take out the driver and push (straight down) on the cone manually (carefully) and listen to hear if it grinds at all when moving slowly. If it does...well, you know what to do (replace it.) If it doesn't, try playing it free-air and see if you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from. It could be something inside your door panel buzzing...if the sound goes away when you pull out the driver, that'll tell you if that's the case.

ls1pimp
06-19-2009, 09:35 AM
I had a similar problem with one of my germanium woofers - something came unglued or some such; I couldn't see what from the outside of the speaker and didn't know how to take it apart :).

The speaker still played, but it sounded...well...kinda raspy.

Take out the driver and push (straight down) on the cone manually (carefully) and listen to hear if it grinds at all when moving slowly. If it does...well, you know what to do (replace it.) If it doesn't, try playing it free-air and see if you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from. It could be something inside your door panel buzzing...if the sound goes away when you pull out the driver, that'll tell you if that's the case.

Just out of curiousity, is the next step up from the Rainbow SLC 265's worth getting? Not sure what model it is