PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Thoughts Needed On a Full Range -- Front Stage Only System

bladebarrier
06-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Well,

I just cooked my JBL W15GTI mk2.... I loved it. I planned on getting a second when I first put it in, and decided I really didn't have any need to (:laugh:, might not have blown the 1st one if I had).

I suppose I could replace it with a new 15 (or pair), but I really don't want to drop that much more money into my car system, and honestly I got my thumping bass fix and would rather just settle into something more about SQ, leaving my trunk empty (aside from amps/eq, etc.).

I have a Civic coupe, so it's not a large vehicle.

I don't use the back seat for anything other than storage, but don't want to put any sort of box on the back seat itself (behind the seat would fine).

Here's my plan. I'll sell my mint condition JL audio slash 1000/1 amp, and go for as full of a front stage as I can get for it (probably about $450 on ebay, give or take).

What could I do with a budget like that, that would fit into the car without major modifications.

I own a pair of, uncut, q-form kickpanels, that can fit up to a 6.5" plus a small tweeter.

I'm not opposed to the idea of having small "truck" boxes behind each seat (with an 8 in each, or a small configured 10 in each). If I can get a really full range front stage without doing that, all the better.

I'm not concerned about pounding pavement, but would like as clear a front stage as I can afford, with a deep enough response to play any "non-bass cd" type of music loud and clear.

Amps and eq I won't count in the budget as I have that mostly covered, but would pitch in a bit extra to finish the job up.

I appreciate your suggestions!

/Oh, I currently have a pair of very old school competition MB Quart 6.5" coaxiats with competition x-overs, and an old school PPI amp that's a very clean 75w x2rms amp (pics are linked in another post I made a while back, if anyone is curious, I'll dig them out).

KOL
06-17-2009, 12:43 AM
I'd look into the Pioneer PRS components. Also look into a small sub/(s), to fill in the bottom end you won't get from a component set. Heck a IDQ10V2.D4 only needs 1 cube ported or half that sealed.

bladebarrier
06-17-2009, 09:26 AM
I'd look into the Pioneer PRS components. Also look into a small sub/(s), to fill in the bottom end you won't get from a component set. Heck a IDQ10V2.D4 only needs 1 cube ported or half that sealed.

Thanks for the suggestions. That sounds like it would fit the budget well.

Do you think the IDQ 10V2.D4 would carry through the trunk, or would it be better to go for putting it in a "truck box" behind the front seat? I'm not opposed to removing the factory 6x9's in the rear deck, which won't be used anyways.

FJF
06-17-2009, 11:01 AM
You may also want to take a look at Polk SR6500. Here's a brief review:

http://caraudio-forum.com/board/index.php?/topic/1436-polk-sr6500-component-speakers/

KOL
06-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. That sounds like it would fit the budget well.

Do you think the IDQ 10V2.D4 would carry through the trunk, or would it be better to go for putting it in a "truck box" behind the front seat? I'm not opposed to removing the factory 6x9's in the rear deck, which won't be used anyways.
I'd make a ported box for the trunk, but its all up to your cargo room neededs. Removing the 6x9's would be a good idea to help let the bass filter into the cabin. Though it won't be a ground pounder, it'll sure fill in those bottom octaves nicely. You could always step it up to a 12" as well, as the IDQ's don't need much airspace.