PDA

View Full Version : Debating on an SPL enclosure in my truck

Buck
06-16-2009, 02:09 AM
I'm going to be build an enclosure for my hdc310a. I'm debating what I should do. I'm thinking about build a side firing aeroported box. I mean sub and port firing to the side. Either that or a down firing box. Or should I stick with simple rectangular port? Idk, I've been debating over and over what to do. Any opinions or thoughts on what I should do are welcome.

mlstrass
06-16-2009, 02:47 AM
will this be for daily or to compete? that should be what your decision is based upon...

Buck
06-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Spl

Lakota
06-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Build a bunch of boxes and meter them all :) That's how you get loud.

Buck
06-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Build a bunch of boxes and meter them all :) That's how you get loud.

I know what the loudest is in my truck. But idk if anyone has tried downfiring in an extended cab pickup before for spl.

Skip01
06-17-2009, 07:36 PM
What happend your 18?

Buck
06-17-2009, 08:57 PM
What happend your 18?

you got rid of an 18 for a 10?

meh

I will back in the big sub league before too long. Either that or I will have 4 hdc310s :naughty:

Skip01
06-17-2009, 09:01 PM
I will back in the big sub league before too long. Either that or I will have 4 hdc310s :naughty:

Now ur talkin....18s are for suckers ;)

Lakota
06-18-2009, 12:59 AM
I've ran a few different sub/port firing directions. Down firing isn't my favorite.

mbrooky
06-18-2009, 01:25 AM
subs up/port up(passenger side) always worked good for me when i had my ranger

Skip01
06-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Sub forward...port up in any truck

/thread

Buck
06-18-2009, 02:22 PM
I've ran a few different sub/port firing directions. Down firing isn't my favorite.

It might give some sort of surface to load off of. The floor is the least flexing panel in the truck.

/thread

Orly? Actual testing number to prove? curious

Lakota
06-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Different trucks may want different things. For example, me and TommyK don't generally run the same sub firing direction. I don't like firing my subs up, it has always been one of the worst firing directions.

Lakota
06-18-2009, 02:30 PM

/thread

And 3 15's:veryhapp:

Buck
06-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Different trucks may want different things. For example, me and TommyK don't generally run the same sub firing direction. I don't like firing my subs up, it has always been one of the worst firing directions.

My truck like side firing it seems like. But just think about it in terms of flex. The floor is the least flexing panel/side of the vehicle.

bhsdriller
06-18-2009, 02:35 PM
sub facing up is louder than facing forward in my truck...to the ear atleast. Never had it on a meter though

Lakota
06-18-2009, 02:38 PM
My truck like side firing it seems like. But just think about it in terms of flex. The floor is the least flexing panel/side of the vehicle.

Doesn't matter. The whole vehicle is flexing.

Lakota
06-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Now ur talkin....18s are for suckers ;)

Even though I'm not competing right now, one of my 18 boxes is in the MECA S3 class:D 152.1 dB @ headrest off of 165A of true fusing.

Buck
06-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Doesn't matter. The whole vehicle is flexing.

Wouldn't it matter in the sense of almost using it like a bandpass? Where the sub and/or port is loading off of the floor?

Lakota
06-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Wouldn't it matter in the sense of almost using it like a bandpass? Where the sub and/or port is loading off of the floor?

Yeah the sub uses objects to load off of. However, the sub doesn't have to be right next to something in order for it to load properly. There are many SPL vehicles out there, such as CRX's, where the subs can be a great distance away from a solid object. Most of those guys in DB Drag w/ CRX's run the subs forward, firing into the dash. I have also seen many guys do well over 150's in SUV's with the subs forward, with there being at least a 6 ft gap from a solid object.

The trick to SPL is to stop over analyzing everything. I used to try to understand all the physics in the beginning, and it cost me score because I wouldn't open up my mind to new ideas. Once you open your mind to new ideas, work hard, and try new things (even if you doubt they will work) you will learn your vehicle and your score will increase.

Buck
06-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah the sub uses objects to load off of. However, the sub doesn't have to be right next to something in order for it to load properly. There are many SPL vehicles out there, such as CRX's, where the subs can be a great distance away from a solid object. Most of those guys in DB Drag w/ CRX's run the subs forward, firing into the dash. I have also seen many guys do well over 150's in SUV's with the subs forward, with there being at least a 6 ft gap from a solid object.

The trick to SPL is to stop over analyzing everything. I used to try to understand all the physics in the beginning, and it cost me score because I wouldn't open up my mind to new ideas. Once you open your mind to new ideas, work hard, and try new things (even if you doubt they will work) you will learn your vehicle and your score will increase.

Sounds like a good theory. Well, really I'm trying to see if this is worth trying because I've tried every other way so far, except for that. My truck likes side firing.

bhsdriller
06-18-2009, 03:01 PM
It sounds like you're pretty set on a side firing box so just try it