PDA

View Full Version : How loud are Hybrid Legatia Pros?

bamaster
06-14-2009, 04:29 PM
I have a set of Legatia L61-2 Pros. Replacing a set of Image Dynamics CXS64's. They'll be powered by a Sundown 125.2.

In terms of volume, how will the Legatias perform compared to the ID's?

got-one-eight
06-15-2009, 04:42 PM
I have a set of Legatia L61-2 Pros. Replacing a set of Image Dynamics CXS64's. They'll be powered by a Sundown 125.2.

I am curious about this also. Maybe after you get them I can swing in and take a listen :) I am in houston also!

Edit: Just noticed your a stang guy. I used to have two of them.. a 95 with a 331ci and a 92 with a 410ci

Echo42987
06-15-2009, 06:06 PM
They will out perform it. But they are more related to SQ based systems. But they'll shine all day and get loud and sound good doing it. Seriously the best speaker on the market you can buy right now is those Legatia sets. I'm friends w/ the guy over at 12v electronics so I've heard a couple sets :)

here to buy
06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
for close to 800 bucks for two mids and two tweets, the set better outshine all the competition as its coming from a company that im sure has minimal overhead costs compared to morel, rainbow, hertz, etc.

do they build these themselves or outsource to a buildhouse?

got-one-eight
06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
for close to 800 bucks for two mids and two tweets, the set better outshine all the competition as its coming from a company that im sure has minimal overhead costs compared to morel, rainbow, hertz, etc.

does anyone offer these with x-overs? I cant seem to find any online and dont have enough amps to go active.

Echo42987
06-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Are you planning on running 2way or 3way? ^^^^^

bamaster
06-15-2009, 06:52 PM
does anyone offer these with x-overs? I cant seem to find any online and dont have enough amps to go active.

you can buy Legatias with passive crossovers. I believe they are $120 for a pair. Apparently, they are the same ones used with the Clarus series.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403369

I'm going active with mine. Received my Alpine CDA-9887 today, in fact! :D

got-one-eight
06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
you can buy Legatias with passive crossovers. I believe they are $120 for a pair. Apparently, they are the same ones used with the Clarus series.

Hmm, that link shows how to go active basically with just an inline cap on the tweet as a filter. Does this leave the mid playing from HP cutoff on up? Where can one purhcase the Legatias?

Edit.. I would be going 2-way

James Bang
06-15-2009, 08:11 PM

YOU tell us...

FoxPro5
06-15-2009, 09:21 PM

Please, Hybrid Audio Technologies expert, tell us more!

Shut up you turd. :rolleyes:

FoxPro5
06-15-2009, 09:24 PM

How deaf do you want to become?

If the question is "at what SPL level do the speakers begin to produce audible distortion" then you need to look at the THD testing done on the drivers.

Things get a little tricky when you put speakers in to a little room with glass all around it takes on a sound of itself.

here to buy
06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Please, Hybrid Audio Technologies expert, tell us more!

Shut up you turd. :rolleyes:

did i claim to be a "hybrid audio expert" ? no
did i ask a valid question and get a immature response from you calling me a turd? yes

man ur a joke :laugh:

mlstrass
06-15-2009, 09:30 PM
moneybags runs the 3 way set and his subs do 145dB out of the trunk on music and they keep up with no problem. Excellent midbass out of the 8's in his doors...

Echo42987
06-15-2009, 09:37 PM

Where can you buy legatias w/ a passive crossover set? The only passive Hybrid Audio speaker that is made is the clarus series.

Other then that the all the the Legatia sets are Active only unless someone built it and is selling it outside of Hybrid Audio.

But get the L8's and L1's and yes they will outperform almost any and all setups and get extremely loud. Especially those L8's, there beasts :)

JimJ
06-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Where can you buy legatias w/ a passive crossover set? The only passive Hybrid Audio speaker that is made is the clarus series.

A month or so ago, they started offering the Clarus crossovers as add-ons to the Legatia drivers.

Echo42987
06-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Oh ok, Tom never told me that. Then again I never asked him lol.

moneybags
06-15-2009, 09:44 PM
moneybags runs the 3 way set and his subs do 145dB out of the trunk on music and they keep up with no problem. Excellent midbass out of the 8's in his doors...

Wait untill I ask you to help me glass another set in my doors:D

FoxPro5
06-15-2009, 09:47 PM
did i claim to be a "hybrid audio expert" ? no
did i ask a valid question and get a immature response from you calling me a turd? yes

man ur a joke :laugh:

I'm a joke? Have you ever used a HAT product? Please tell me you've at least listened to one in person. Give us something other than your insinuation about overhead costs.

Yes, they're made 100% in-house by the president of the company. He widdles the baskets out of wrought iron and paints the phase plugs with the pigment from the skin of freshly killed baby seals.

Turd. :p:

bamaster
06-15-2009, 10:02 PM
YOU tell us...

Well, more accurately, I have ordered them. In a few weeks I'll be dropping my car off at the shop to have them installed, whilst I enjoy the sunny beaches of Brazil.

The reason I axe is that I read someone post that they don't get very loud. I am not looking to make my ears bleed. But I drive with my windows down a lot. That's all.

FoxPro5
06-15-2009, 10:11 PM
But get the L8's and L1's and yes they will outperform almost any and all setups and get extremely loud. Especially those L8's, there beasts :)

If a dedicated midrange is used in between, then maybe. But the L8's cannot play up to a tweeter (it's a subwoofer by spec) and the L1's cannot play down to an 8" midbass with any sort of clarity or dynamics.

Any active speaker is only as good as the installer and the tuner. Until then, it's just a raw driver. And a raw driver can be turned into a paperweight pretty easily unless the installer knows what he/she is doing. Just sayin.

got-one-eight
06-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Price doesnt seem that bad..

http://www.12velectronics.com/servlet/the-85/HAT-Hybrid-Audio-Technologies/Detail

Echo42987
06-16-2009, 02:00 AM
If a dedicated midrange is used in between, then maybe. But the L8's cannot play up to a tweeter (it's a subwoofer by spec) and the L1's cannot play down to an 8" midbass with any sort of clarity or dynamics.

Any active speaker is only as good as the installer and the tuner. Until then, it's just a raw driver. And a raw driver can be turned into a paperweight pretty easily unless the installer knows what he/she is doing. Just sayin.

U obviously have never heard any of Tom's installs lol ;)

Best system I've heard to date had just the L1 and L8

They have HUGE frequency ranges.

Echo42987
06-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Price doesnt seem that bad..

http://www.12velectronics.com/servlet/the-85/HAT-Hybrid-Audio-Technologies/Detail

Thats the set w/ the L1v2's which aren't as good as the L1 pros.

http://www.12velectronics.com/servlet/the-97/HAT-Hybrid-Audio-Technologies/Detail

These are HANDS DOWN worth the extra money. Ever if that means you have to save for a bit longer. That tweeter, my words couldn't even explain how good it is!

KyleBechtold
06-16-2009, 02:06 AM
why do people make threads about stuff they have.. if you are going to install it listen for yourself.. thats like buying a pizza and before eating it asking us what it tastes like.. find out for yourself if its in front of you

DEdwards
06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Anyone can email me if they have any questions I might be able to help with....

RowJoe
06-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, more accurately, I have ordered them. In a few weeks I'll be dropping my car off at the shop to have them installed, whilst I enjoy the sunny beaches of Brazil.

The reason I axe is that I read someone post that they don't get very loud. I am not looking to make my ears bleed. But I drive with my windows down a lot. That's all.

why do people make threads about stuff they have.. if you are going to install it listen for yourself.. thats like buying a pizza and before eating it asking us what it tastes like.. find out for yourself if its in front of you

Fail.

ramos
06-16-2009, 10:47 AM

Loud enough to make me want to get out. With proper crossover settings each of the L6's can handle more power than you plan on feeding the set :)

DEdwards
06-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Ain't that the truth...

gqjeff
06-16-2009, 01:45 PM
http://www.mecaforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,6557.0.html

I am still on the fence about switching to these myself.. My buddy has the 3 way pro set active and its perfection. I will be using a crossover though.

FoxPro5
06-16-2009, 02:37 PM

Yea, will look at the FR graphs on many drivers and you will see them showing a "huge" FR, but that doesn't mean they will perform well. I don't know who Tom is and don't really care, but if he can make something like those two play as well as you're claiming, that's quite a feat. :)

The FS on the L1 Pro is 700 hz and the manual states it's recommended min HP pt is 2khz with a fourth order slope. The L8 does fine until 500 hz and then starts to get squiggly and clearly breaks up after 2khz...not to mention that any 8" driver will start to beam at 1.7 khz.

Put all those together and it doesn't make for exactly an "optimal" pair. To recommend it to the level of experience with active systems and the like around here is pretty foolish, IMO. Yes, I've used the L8 in a two-way up front just to see how it would play up to the old L1 and it was horrendus due to the factors I just mentioned. Put the L4 or L3 in there, though, and it's a hell of a set.

James Bang
06-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Yea, will look at the FR graphs on many drivers and you will see them showing a "huge" FR, but that doesn't mean they will perform well. I don't know who Tom is and don't really care, but if he can make something like those two play as well as you're claiming, that's quite a feat. :)

The FS on the L1 Pro is 700 hz and the manual states it's recommended min HP pt is 2khz with a fourth order slope. The L8 does fine until 500 hz and then starts to get squiggly and clearly breaks up after 2khz...not to mention that any 8" driver will start to beam at 1.7 khz.

Put all those together and it doesn't make for exactly an "optimal" pair. To recommend it to the level of experience with active systems and the like around here is pretty foolish, IMO. Yes, I've used the L8 in a two-way up front just to see how it would play up to the old L1 and it was horrendus due to the factors I just mentioned. Put the L4 or L3 in there, though, and it's a hell of a set.

Ain't that the truth...

Dave spoke too soon :p:

L8-1v2prowhatever combo? i'd rather not listen to Tom's installs then, whoever he is.

DEdwards
06-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I was speaking of what Ramos had to say James...thanks though :p:

bamaster
06-16-2009, 03:28 PM
The L8 does fine until 500 hz and then starts to get squiggly

Is that a technical term? :p

Yes, I've used the L8 in a two-way up front just to see how it would play up to the old L1 and it was horrendus due to the factors I just mentioned. Put the L4 or L3 in there, though, and it's a hell of a set.

I really wanted the L8/L3/L1 Pro combo. But the increase in spending by adding a crossover and door build scared me off. Then, I ended up buying an Alpine 9887 anyways. The good news is that I can always trade-in the L6 drivers and upgrade. Live and learn.

This is all good feedback. It'll be a month or so, but I'll report in my review once I have some good listening time with the set.

DEdwards
06-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Remember the crossovers are for the Clarus and the L1v2 tweeters.

JimJ
06-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Why not use the L4 for the upper end instead of the L1?

I'd rather live with a little attenuation on the top end, then deal with a potential suckout or just general nastiness in the midrange...

PaulD
06-16-2009, 04:21 PM
The L3 has a very low sensitivity rating and is not very loud if installed in the kicks. The main complaint of the L3 was trying to play them to their "rated" 140 Hz or whatever, the little speaker that is about the size of what's in an average TV just can't handle that kind of low freq at volume.

DEdwards
06-16-2009, 04:37 PM
The L3 has a very low sensitivity rating and is not very loud if installed in the kicks. The main complaint of the L3 was trying to play them to their "rated" 140 Hz or whatever, the little speaker that is about the size of what's in an average TV just can't handle that kind of low freq at volume.

what slopes were you using? I will say the L3 is more at home on the dash or in the pillar, but to say it is not loud, what is loud to you?

Innovative:Cory
06-16-2009, 06:06 PM

I know someone running an L4 from 68hz-7khz :D

DEdwards
06-16-2009, 06:11 PM

they can't run that low Cory....:rolleyes: lol

JimJ
06-16-2009, 06:18 PM
I bet they'd get close in these: passdiy.com/pdf/j-low.pdf

:D

speedfreak28
06-16-2009, 06:30 PM
I bet they'd get close in these: passdiy.com/pdf/j-low.pdf

:D

if only you could squeeze a pair of those enclosures on your dash:crazy:

FoxPro5
06-16-2009, 06:42 PM

You mean running them under water because they're on fire? Dear God son...

For the love of all that's good in this world, don't run a 3 or 4" cone driver down to where a sub should play. F those FR charts, that's not your car and it will sound like shiit.

On a different note, I'd vouch for what Jim was saying earlier as the L4 can extend nicely and still sound good off axis.

On an OT, but kind of related, why is Scott obsessed with "full range" anyway? Seems to me he's limiting his market exposure by decreasing the need for some some drivers. I hear all the time how dudes want to run subless with the L8 or tweeterless with the L4. Just find that interesting.

Echo42987
06-16-2009, 11:31 PM

I'd rather live with a little attenuation on the top end, then deal with a potential suckout or just general nastiness in the midrange...

True. A lot of people have been doing this, as of late.

And here are the installs Tom has done so far. They sound better then WORDS can describe.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/51708-500-hp-bmw-m3-goes-hybrid-audio.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/55916-755-whp-turbo-bmw-e46-m3-gets-hybrid-audio-makeover.html

Great installer and Great Guy :)

Innovative:Cory
06-17-2009, 12:25 AM
they can't run that low Cory....:rolleyes: lol

Shhhhhh ancient secret at work :)

PaulD
06-17-2009, 09:20 AM
what slopes were you using? I will say the L3 is more at home on the dash or in the pillar, but to say it is not loud, what is loud to you?

Some judges like VOLUME. I still have the L3 and L1, maybe I should try a small dash pod some time.

As for Scott's like of wide range drivers, he is trying to do point sources as best as possible - he feels breaking up the frequencies into different drivers in the midrange area doesn't do the music justice, especially when the drivers are seperated by a fair bit of distance.

FoxPro5
06-17-2009, 03:44 PM
he feels breaking up the frequencies into different drivers in the midrange area doesn't do the music justice, especially when the drivers are seperated by a fair bit of distance.

Mmmm, I think he wants to sell speakers, first and formost. Not a slight against him, I just think he contradicts himself. Case in point: first coming out with the L3 widbander based on the above philosophy. Then some time later comes out with the L1Pro which CLEARLY is designed to play midrange frequencies and marketed as such. The L1 Pro manual even suggests using it with his IB subwoofer, the L8. :confused: I can find posts where Scott argues to death getting as much on that MR as possible then flips to the legitimacy of a low FS tweet just as fast, it seems.

Anyway, who flippin cares...buy what you like and amp it up and let your ears decide how "amazing" is it or not.

DEdwards
06-17-2009, 03:48 PM
L1pro's are mostly used in 2 way systems. The L1v2 is used more in 3 way.

captainobvious!
06-18-2009, 11:27 PM

Other then that the all the the Legatia sets are Active only unless someone built it and is selling it outside of Hybrid Audio.

Buying a passive crossover for these is not the way to go. You need to consider mounting locations, aiming, response in your cars cabin, etc etc. A prebuilt passive crossover would be virtually useless as they will need to be setup differently in almost every situation.

captainobvious!
06-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Is that a technical term? :p

I really wanted the L8/L3/L1 Pro combo. But the increase in spending by adding a crossover and door build scared me off. Then, I ended up buying an Alpine 9887 anyways. The good news is that I can always trade-in the L6 drivers and upgrade. Live and learn.

This is all good feedback. It'll be a month or so, but I'll report in my review once I have some good listening time with the set.

Do the L4 and L1's with a pair of Peerless SLS8's. You're golden then...

Echo42987
06-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Buying a passive crossover for these is not the way to go. You need to consider mounting locations, aiming, response in your cars cabin, etc etc. A prebuilt passive crossover would be virtually useless as they will need to be setup differently in almost every situation.

Are you telling me this? Or the OP?

James Bang
06-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Are you telling me this? Or the OP?

doesn't matter.

DEdwards
06-19-2009, 12:12 PM
The crossovers can be used with but not advised for use with the L1pro

James Bang
06-19-2009, 12:22 PM
what are the xover points and slopes on the passives?

DEdwards
06-19-2009, 02:02 PM
5,000Hz 12dB slopes on high and low pass.

James Bang
06-19-2009, 06:17 PM
5,000Hz 12dB slopes on high and low pass.

wouldn't that cause the mids to play like this??

pic courtesy of Peter Euro:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb72/peter_euro/lgt8.jpg

FoxPro5
06-19-2009, 06:33 PM
I bet that L8 playing to 5khz at 90* off axis sounds simply wonderful. JFC....[facepalm]

DEdwards
06-19-2009, 07:23 PM
wow...I havn't seen that pic before

James Bang
06-19-2009, 07:24 PM
wow...I havn't seen that pic before

:p:

yeah, i think peter euro thinks every speakers play like laser beams.

DEdwards
06-19-2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.greenlaserbeam.com/green2.jpg

How is Peter Euro??

James Bang
06-19-2009, 07:43 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/mobster909/94CivicHatch/IMG00405.jpg

bamaster
06-19-2009, 08:19 PM
wouldn't that cause the mids to play like this??

pic courtesy of Peter Euro:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb72/peter_euro/lgt8.jpg

Is there a build log of this? Looks interesting!

Also, I stopped by the shop today to take a look at the speakers. The L6 and L1 Pro are both beautiful! For some reason I thought they'd be heavier. Very nice!

DEdwards
06-30-2009, 06:45 PM
any updates?

bamaster
06-30-2009, 10:53 PM
any updates?

Not yet. I drop off my car in Friday at the install shop before I leave for Brazil. I return on Monday the 13th. I'll need to spend some time in my car but I'll be sure to report once I have some time to put the Legatias through their paces! :D

I'll ask the installer to take some pics!

captainobvious!
06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Hopefully you'll be running these active and not with passive crossovers.

bamaster
07-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Hopefully you'll be running these active and not with passive crossovers.

Yeah, along with the Legatias they'll be installing an Alpine 9887 and deadening the doors with Damplifier Pro.

Tonyguy
07-01-2009, 01:32 AM

This is exactly what i'm doing with my L4s. I hope for the best.

Echo42987
07-01-2009, 12:43 PM
This is exactly what i'm doing with my L4s. I hope for the best.

I didn't know thats what you were going to do. And also didn't know you were on ca :wave:

Tonyguy
07-01-2009, 11:15 PM
I didn't know thats what you were going to do. And also didn't know you were on ca :wave:

I been here longer than I been on DIYMA. I just don't come here often. And yes that is the plan for my truck. I'm working slowy.

bamaster
07-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Ok, I got my car back yesterday from the shop. I decided to go passive since I didn't want to bi-amp yet. One of these days I'll upgrade my 2-ch amp to a big 4-ch for the front, but I've dropped enough on my system for now. Also, I haven't received the HAT crossovers yet, they are running off the Image Dynamics passive crossovers until next week or so when they arrive. :)

I won't comment on the sound quality yet since I don't have enough listening time with them (although they are amazing so far! I'm especially loving midbass!). But as for volume, I am not sure why anyone would say these don't get loud. I put in Metallica's One and I couldn't turn it all the way up. They get very loud for me! No distortion that I can hear either.

Like I said, this is a one-day review of their volume only. So far, my opinion is that there should be no question about the output capabilities of the Legatia Pro L61-2V2 drivers. Thumbs up!

gqjeff
07-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Nice still thinking of going with these myself...

ramos
07-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Yep, give them enough power they will get loud and sound very good doing it :)

gqjeff
07-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I was told that 100watts a side would still make them pound? is that true?

bamaster
07-15-2009, 12:04 AM
I was told that 100watts a side would still make them pound? is that true?

I have 125w to each side from my SAX-125.2. Essentially the same amp as your 100.2, just the currrent model. Yes, they are plenty loud!

The mid bass on these is off the charts. I thought the mids from my Image Dynamics were good, but the L6 is significantly more prominent.

gqjeff
07-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Sounds good.. Looking at replacing focal K2P's

DEdwards
07-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I bet that L8 playing to 5khz at 90* off axis sounds simply wonderful. JFC....[facepalm]

No one ever mentioned the L8 playing up to 5KHz:rolleyes:....the 2 way Legatia passive is offered for the L6 and the L4.