PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement?

TheJuggla1
06-06-2009, 05:35 PM
I am planning on buying a larger SUV in the near future, I'm wondering where I should stick speakers in it?(Assume unlimited budget I live for car auido) Also I want really loud ones, should I go with 8" or do they lose quality the larger they get?

pjhabit
06-06-2009, 07:09 PM
There's no ideal speaker placement, as a vehicle is a terrible environment for sound reproduction. But generally you'd strive for your speakers to be unobstructed, on-axis & equal path lengths to the listener, while keeping the mids & highs close to each other for a common point source (lows are more forgiving, as those frequencies are more difficult to localise).

Generally a speaker has a limited bandwidth it can reproduce well. Bigger drivers tend to excel down low, while smaller drivers excel up high. IMO a 6-7" midrange has the most favorable bandwidth for your typical 2 way front stage.

TheJuggla1
06-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Well any suggestions? pair in the dash, pair in front doors, pair in middle doors, then a pair in the rear?

pjhabit
06-08-2009, 04:25 AM
If you want quality sound reproduction: Stick to one set of drivers for a given frequency bandwidth & keep them in front of you to create a proper sound stage.
If you just want loud w/ complete disregard to quality: Add as many drivers as you can, wherever you can.

TheJuggla1
06-25-2009, 08:07 PM
If you want quality sound reproduction: Stick to one set of drivers for a given frequency bandwidth & keep them in front of you to create a proper sound stage.
If you just want loud w/ complete disregard to quality: Add as many drivers as you can, wherever you can.

Well I like quality, but in a larger vehicle filled with friends, it would be nice to have more than 1 set so its even around the vehicle.