PDA

View Full Version : Battery Terminal Mess?

The Ste
06-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I just opened the bonnent (or hood) of my car the other day when I find this sort of white paste on my battery terminals. Now I had the car serviced a little while ago, and I smeared a small bit of vaseline grease on the terminals before I connected the cables. I have been told it could be some type of corrosion but I dont really believe this. Do you think it is possible that the terminals could have just got hot and the grease has bubbled up and 'sprayed' out.
Its probably ssomething really stupid but any suggestions are appreciated.

illbmeubu
06-04-2009, 05:24 PM
looks like corrosion/oxidation. they have bruhes with metal bristles here in the states, sure you could find one of those and see if it just scrapes off, which it should.

Blue Fury
06-04-2009, 05:28 PM
It looks like it was sprayed on, meaning purposefully.. so it might be some ANTI corrosion agent. If it was fuzzy and crusty, then clean it.

The Ste
06-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Yeh I suppose oxidation may be a possibilty but it just looked strange the way it had sprayed everywhere. Also it is a quite new sealed battery thats why I thought it couldnt be corrosion. Do you know how I can prevent this happening again in the future and what caused this to happen in the first place to my yellow top?

The Ste
06-04-2009, 05:33 PM
It looks like it was sprayed on, meaning purposefully.. so it might be some ANTI corrosion agent. If it was fuzzy and crusty, then clean it.

Yeh good point - maybe the garage did it but I always have it serviced at the same place and he has never done that before.

illbmeubu
i don't know what could of caused it, but the only way to see if it will happen again is to clean it and go about your business and check back every once in a while.

illbmeubu
Yeh good point - maybe the garage did it but I always have it serviced at the same place and he has never done that before.

or ask the shop if they messed with it.

Racerx250
06-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure.

It does look like it was something sprayed on.

Does it wipe off? Is it crusty like texture?

The Ste
06-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Yeah it wiped off the battery posts quite easily, it had a paint like texture leading me to believe it was put on there, but im not sure what it is as ive never seen it before.

JBLCAMRY
06-06-2009, 10:50 PM
looks like some of this.

says it sprays on white.

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-restoration/fluid/bcp-10.html