PDA

View Full Version : Esotec System 242 GT - Dynaudio 6.5"

srmd22
06-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Are these good speakers? And are they mellow and clear-- not middy and harsh like what I am replacing.

I have been looking at different brands, including Morels and Rainbow Vandiums. But the place that is going to do the install recommends these (of course they also sell them). I figure, if they are as respected as the other brands I am looking at, but I can also hear them, 1st hand in a car-- at the installer, that is a bonus.

I am looking for mellow highs and good midbass-- something that will stay clean with the 100x2 watts feeding from my JL Audio 500/5.

I have fillers in the back, and a sub, so it's a 5-way.

srmd22
06-04-2009, 08:29 PM
No opinions on Dynaudio?

adhumston
06-05-2009, 12:59 PM
If you can listen to them, why are you asking opinions on the internet? If you search you'll see that Dynaudio is a very highly respected brand. If you like them when you listen, then buy them. Pretty simple...

Flipx99
06-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I always hear that Dyns like a lot of power.

srmd22
06-05-2009, 09:54 PM
If you can listen to them, why are you asking opinions on the internet? If you search you'll see that Dynaudio is a very highly respected brand. If you like them when you listen, then buy them. Pretty simple...

Uggh, not another proponent of "why are you asking opinions...." Ok, Sherlock, I will explain. Yes, I can listen to these, but there are other brands out there I cannot listen to, and I'd like to know how they compare, via peoples opinions, who may have heard several. In addition, I may find out information from people familiar with the brand that is not apparent with a casual listen. Eg, that dynaudio's need a lot of power. Also, I just like to hear people's opinions about things in general, sometimes it opens my eyes to facts and concepts to which I might not have otherwise been exposed.

So, is that ok with you, or is it too freakin' complicated for ya?

srmd22
06-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I always hear that Dyns like a lot of power.

I've seen that on the forums, and I am also trying to find out if my amp is sufficient to power these. (JL Audio 500/5, with 100x2 to the front).

smgreen20
06-05-2009, 10:51 PM
The amp is sufficient for those.

I had a set of Dyns and I wish I had them back. The tweet was the most revealing I've ever heard and the mid was one of the best too.

The tweet was also the weak link, well the xover actually. At high volumes for a long period of time or even on short bursts the tweeter protection would kick in and you WILL know it. All you have to do is twist the resistor in the xover so that the two posts of the resistor connect completing the circuit bypassing the resistor.

I'll get another set someday.

srmd22
06-05-2009, 11:07 PM
The amp is sufficient for those.

The tweet was also the weak link, well the xover actually. At high volumes for a long period of time or even on short bursts the tweeter protection would kick in and you WILL know it. All you have to do is twist the resistor in the xover so that the two posts of the resistor connect completing the circuit bypassing the resistor.

Is it possible the have fixed that problem since you owned yours?

smgreen20
06-05-2009, 11:28 PM
I'd have to look at the xover and see. More then likely not.

James Bang
06-06-2009, 12:14 AM
please ask any other question re: Esotec System 242 GT here.

James Bang
06-06-2009, 12:14 AM
:)

smgreen20
06-06-2009, 07:43 AM
After finding a pic in PAS, the xover is the same as old. So you'll have to twist the resistor.

I guess it's that old saying: If it isn't broke, don't try and fix it.

ToyTundra
06-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I went from 75w to 200+W per mid and they became like a new set of speakers. I wasn't a fan of the passive crossover, so I went active.

Echo42987
06-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah I was feeding my 3 way set 100w and jumped it up to 320watts and it's a night and day Difference. So now I'm selling my rears if your interested. Only been powered up for like 1 month. Just bridged my amp to the front so no need for rears anymore.

-Nick-

6spdcoupe
06-25-2009, 02:20 AM
I use, sell, install and deal with all three lines daily. That said and based on the info you posted above the Dyns or Morels would be your better choices. The Rainbows *may* appear more on the 'cold' side to you. However more info can tell us more about your habits ..

What type of music ?
What levels ?
What have you used in the past ? Likes and dislikes of them ?

BTW, what dealer is this ? What else do they offer ?

Hoodlum007
06-25-2009, 03:28 AM
Dynaudio are excellent sounding speakers, power hungry but very detailed sound quality.

6spdcoupe
06-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Big misconception and confusion with power 'hungry' and power happy. Big difference especially when using it as advice to a potential buyer of the product.

They do like a fair amount of power, but to say need would be misinformative.

smgreen20
06-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Dyns, power hungry????? I had the System 240 MKII and power hungry they aren't. If you use the supplied xover the tweet protection kicks in and you have to wait a minute or two at low volumes for it to reset. It's just a resistor that when it gets to hot it cuts back the power to the tweet as to not fry it.

If you go actively with them would be the best bet. For example: say you give the mid 100 wrms and its a 91dB s/n speaker then that means at the 100 wrms it would be at @ 111 dB, if you give it 200 wrms, which I don't recommend over 150 wrms, then you'd only see another 3 dB in gain for 114 dB which to me isn't worth it.

But as I've been posting a lot lately, power is much like sound..... It's all subjective.

Have you ever noticed how little power SQ comp cars actually have? 300-500 wrms on avg.

srmd22
07-03-2009, 08:07 AM
I am glad to see the last 2 posts above ^^ I went ahead and had the Dyn's put in, and they sound fabulous. Upon first listen, at the shop, I thought they sounded a bit flat, but after a couple of hours driving around with them, I realized I was wrong. They are just really transparant and mellow, beautiful sound. I do have to turn the volume on my reciever higher to get the same perceived output, but the clarity is astounding, with no harshness at all. The folks at Sound & Motion are great. They are recommending I move my SW from behind the seat of my convertible to the floor of the passenger side, which I will probably do (ugh $$).

Here is a pic of my previous install from sound advice in Tampa:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg192/srmd22/350Z/DSCN0864.jpghttp://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg192/srmd22/350Z/DSCN0865.jpg

dtbrown
07-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Esotec dynaudio is probably some of the best sounding speakers you can get. Very natural sound and don't need a ton of power. 100w rms up is good. No if you're looking for a lot of volume the dynaudio are not for you. The dynaudio xover will protect the tweeters if volume goes to high. We just swapped out our dynaudio esotec for Digital Designs DDA-W components because wanted more volume they delivered the volume with very close SQ like the Dyn's.

But for SQ Dynaudio is probably one of the best.