PDA

View Full Version : First custom enclosure

bbbblaah
06-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Hello all,

I am building my first custom enclosure and I am looking for some advice. The subs going in it are 2 10" dvc 4ohm alpine type-rs.

I am planning on using a plan off the free box plan section and tune to 32 hz. Is this a good frequency for these? Also, when using the plans does the said volume include speader volume or do you have to account for this?

For the box layout, it is going in an extended cab truck so is it better to have them firing towards the backs of the seats slightly angled up or firing towards the roof? Should they be slightly angled inwards ( towards eachother) or out away from eachother?

Lastly, is one port (vent) with one chamber or two vents with 2 chambers better for dual subs wired in parallel and does the port have to be the same face as the sub mounts or can it be the adjcent one?

Thanks and as always, extra tips are gladly accepted!

bbbblaah
06-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Anyone?

I know someone can help me!

dappa5
06-04-2009, 12:23 PM
if you are gonna strap the box down do subs foward if not do them up (in case the box shifts it will not damage cones ) you can do port up if subs are foward but keep port up in ext cab truck . go common chamber common port (unless you expect probs then chamber so one sub will not mess other up when it breaks) those plans do account for port displacement but not sub displacement so look for one close to your specs after sub displacement and 32 hz is good if you like low lows will be decent for daily drive other than that good luck

psych0ticnemes1
06-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I would use a single chamber, single port design with the port in the middle for ascetics. Fire both the subs and port up if possible. The only benefit to dual chamber enclosures is that if you blow one sub the other can still function normally. My argument to that theory is that if you blow one sub, the other is probably on its way anyway. If you are smart and take care of your equipment it should never be a problem.

As far as volume is concerned I would use recommended or slightly larger depending on how much power you're running.

bbbblaah
06-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks alot.

I am planning on running 1000w rms and around 3 cu. Would this be a good size for be two subs? I've never run these so I don't know what they like :)

What about the angle of the subs. What sound differences are there with them angles in or out?

dappa5
06-04-2009, 01:04 PM
if this is your first enclosure just keep them on same plan
and check the subs specs again they may want more than 1.5 ft3 ea
i've run 1 type R on 600 and in POUNDED!! in 2 cubes but vehicle harmonics and other things factored in so build it and if you don't like build another good luck

p.s. heres a look @ what psycho is talking abouthttp://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/DAPPA5/rollinislip.jpg

bbbblaah
06-04-2009, 08:57 PM
So I did some measuring and it turns out that I only have 12" depth at the top so I dont think I will be able to mount the subs up.

The port and subs will have to face forward. So I have started playing around on the RE L-port enclosure calculator and it is looking good. I can get about 4.5 cubes total.

Now I am wondering how much space is needed infront of the port to allow proper sound. Also, should this be on the passenger side or drivers side, or will it matter?

Again, thanks for the tips.

dappa5
06-04-2009, 09:13 PM
middle middle or across the top of the box in back
and p.s. re calc is chit ask around

bbbblaah
06-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Are you saying to not use the RE Calculator? Why are the side L-Ports not good?

I am not completely sure how to calculate the port volume/tuning for my box with a middle port. The face of the box is angled.

The dimensions for the box are 52" wide 20" high, top depth is 10" and bottom depth is 14". Using 3/4" MDF ofcourse.

dappa5
06-05-2009, 10:11 PM
try this site http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp
will be very helpfull