PDA

View Full Version : What does this do?

Flipx99
06-02-2009, 10:13 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124341

I couldn't use this to store DVDs and watch them on TV could I?

subzero
06-02-2009, 10:18 AM
It is an external hard drive data base file system.
Do you have this much media?

Provides two bays with SATA interface, easy installation and removal: First bay pre-installed with one green-power, hard disk drive (1 TB), Second bay available for end-user upgrade
Provides two USB ports and one media reader that supports CF/MD/MS/SD/XD/MMC memory cards
Provides a LCD display for system status, configuration and media card backup or import progress
Supports RAID1/JBOD configurations
Share storage with PCs connected to the network through SMB/CIF protocol
Provides PC backup with NTI Shadow software:
Automatic scheduled backup available
On-demand backup via GUI or LCD
Continuous backup option available
Provides user easy way to import media content with Linksys Media Importer
Supports three simultaneous HD streams
Automated "crawl" for UPnP servers to index and aggregate all digital media in the home
Supports iTunes server
Provides user-friendly, browser-based Media Browser to view JPEG pictures, play MP3 and WMA music, and manage system configuration

supports:
Audio: M4A, M4B, MP4, 3GP, WAV, OGG, FLAC, AAC, MP2, AC3, MPA, MP1, AIF, ASF
Photo: PNG, TIF, TIFF, BMP, GIF
Video: MP1, MPG, SPTS, MP4, AVI, VOB, DivX, 3GP, VDR, MPE, DVR-MS, Xvid, M1V, M4V, MOV, MPV
Playlists: M3U, M3U8, PLS, WPL

bigaudiofanati2
06-02-2009, 10:18 AM
I prefer usb or firewire ones for storing movies and all. But that will store all your stuff dont know if it is wireless as well.

Beat me to it

tigerf117
06-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Buy an old xbox for $25. Mod it and throw a 500GB drive into it, hook it up on the network (or get an wap if you want wireless) and use that as a media server. Better yet, just stream that data off your PC and skip storing it altogether (requires cat5e though, can't stream over wireless very well)

gymfreak101
06-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I use something very similar but have dual 750 gig samsung spinpoint f1 drives. I have about 400 gigs of music and another 400 gigs of movies and videos. I stream mine to my tv through windows media center using my xbox 360

Scoobydoo
06-02-2009, 02:59 PM
wow for that much you could build a dedicated HTPC and network it

the xbox makes a good little media center, but dont plan on playing HD content with it

if you are gonna stream HD over wireless you will need wireless N, G isnt fast enough

ngsm13
06-02-2009, 03:54 PM
wow for that much you could build a dedicated HTPC and network it

the xbox makes a good little media center, but dont plan on playing HD content with it

if you are gonna stream HD over wireless you will need wireless N, G isnt fast enough

This.

Flip also owns a PS3... :fyi:

nG

Flipx99
06-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I am determined to figure out how to make this without a modem. I believe this isn't the best route.

ngsm13
06-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Like you said, why not an external HD hooke up to you PS3?

nG

Flipx99
06-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Like you said, why not an external HD hooke up to you PS3?

nG

I am afraid the PS3 may not read it. All the links that look like it explains what to do also look like they are trying to sell me something.

I know I do need to buy a program that allows me to partition the entire HDD to Fat32 or find an external HD that is already Fat32.

Then I need to find the appropriate software that allows me to rip the DVDs to a codec the PS3 needs.

I haven't found anyone that's actually done this, but I assume it's possible. The sites that demonstrate how seem shady.

its_bacon12
06-03-2009, 11:11 AM
It's a pretty cool little hub for those who aren't computer savvy.

FYI, SATA is the only way to extract recorded material from DVR boxes as of last year. That only applies to Comcast and Time Warner and other cable companies using the same digital cable boxes.

ngsm13
06-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I am afraid the PS3 may not read it. All the links that look like it explains what to do also look like they are trying to sell me something.

I know I do need to buy a program that allows me to partition the entire HDD to Fat32 or find an external HD that is already Fat32.

Then I need to find the appropriate software that allows me to rip the DVDs to a codec the PS3 needs.

I haven't found anyone that's actually done this, but I assume it's possible. The sites that demonstrate how seem shady.

Well, what about streaming? You would just need a cheap router (NON-WIRELESS). Hook the external drive up to your computer, then the router is the wired link b/w the computer and PS3.

I'm not familiar with PS3, but that's all I need to stream all of my movies and TV shows to my Xbox360...

nG

gymfreak101
06-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Well, what about streaming? You would just need a cheap router (NON-WIRELESS). Hook the external drive up to your computer, then the router is the wired link b/w the computer and PS3.

I'm not familiar with PS3, but that's all I need to stream all of my movies and TV shows to my Xbox360...

nG

This is what I use, I use dvdfab to rip all my dvds and then I convert them to either mp4 or h264 format. I stream them from my computer to my 360 using media center in my living room wired. My ps3 is in my bedroom and I use media player on a wireless signal to stream them. very convieneit and easy to set up.

Flipx99
06-03-2009, 11:50 AM

nG

I'd be open to that. What I have in my mind is that I can "search" through my movies like Comcast's OnDemand Service. If I streamed, wouldn't I have to set up the movie and then "find" it with my PS3? Or can I navigate my computer from the PS3? (Does that make any sense)

This would solve most, if not all, issues if I could find the movies (on my laptop) using just the PS3.

Flipx99
06-03-2009, 11:50 AM
This is what I use, I use dvdfab to rip all my dvds and then I convert them to either mp4 or h264 format. I stream them from my computer to my 360 using media center in my living room wired. My ps3 is in my bedroom and I use media player on a wireless signal to stream them. very convieneit and easy to set up.

So using your PS3, you can find and select the movies? Like go into the folder and click on them to play?

gymfreak101
06-03-2009, 12:03 PM
So using your PS3, you can find and select the movies? Like go into the folder and click on them to play?

yes open up windows media player, under libray click more options-> media sharing. you will see al things in your network then. It will will have an icon for the ps3 but it will be blank . Just allow your computer to share info with your ps3 and bam you are done. Or install a free service called tversity just pm if you need any help with all this.

Flipx99
06-03-2009, 12:05 PM
yes open up windows media player, under libray click more options-> media sharing. you will see al things in your network then. It will will have an icon for the ps3 but it will be blank . Just allow your computer to share info with your ps3 and bam you are done. Or install a free service called tversity just pm if you need any help with all this.

But I need a router first to connect the PS3 and laptop, correct?

You have any reccomendations?

And from what I understand, I don't need the internet to make this work. Is that still a true statement?

gymfreak101
06-03-2009, 12:31 PM
But I need a router first to connect the PS3 and laptop, correct?

You have any reccomendations?

And from what I understand, I don't need the internet to make this work. Is that still a true statement?

not to sure about internet thing. But you will need a router I would always suggest wired over wireless but thats up to you. I use a cheap belking n router that can be used with b/g devices which the ps3 is and never have any issues.

ngsm13
06-03-2009, 03:24 PM
If I am correct, you may not even need a router, just switch.

Someone who is a network expert may need to chime in...

Here's a link to one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180057

nG