PDA

View Full Version : Downfire in a trunk?

theMessenjah44
06-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I need some help on designing/tuning a downfire box. I'm not exactly sure where to start.

I'm considering running an American Bass HD 15 in the trunk of my Grand Am. I currently have a pair of 15's in my trunk rear-firing and I had to do a slanted baffle to make them fit. I would prefer to avoid that this time around. I'm also not crazy about the idea of firing up.

I was going to do one 12, but they don't have any D2's in stock, so I'm wondering if I can make a 15 work.

Strictly for a music box on this one.

93dakota
06-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Im not sure but i dont think that would sound very good nor do i think it would work well. having a sub firing directly at somthing with only a couple inches of cleareance soulds like a bad idea.... I would go sub up port back or go with a smaller sub.

ThatChevyGuy
06-01-2009, 05:32 PM
firing up in a trunk works well as long as there is enough space on the top/sides of the enclosure, do subs up port back or to the side, it worked great for me in an intrigue. Downfiring would not produce near as much output

mmouse57
06-01-2009, 05:38 PM
if you can get optimal trunk/hatch antivibration proofed firing subs backwards not up yeilds a way better sound IMO course evry car is diff

theMessenjah44
06-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Im not sure but i dont think that would sound very good nor do i think it would work well. having a sub firing directly at somthing with only a couple inches of cleareance soulds like a bad idea.... I would go sub up port back or go with a smaller sub.

I've done a downfire in this car before and it hit like a mother b*tch at higher frequencies. But I just gave the sub an extra couple inches of clearance from the floor and had no idea what I was getting myself into.

firing up in a trunk works well as long as there is enough space on the top/sides of the enclosure, do subs up port back or to the side, it worked great for me in an intrigue. Downfiring would not produce near as much output

I'll consider subs up port back, just wanted to know if downfiring was a decent option. I know it's pretty common in extended cab trucks, so SOMEONE has to know something about it

if you can get optimal trunk/hatch antivibration proofed firing subs backwards not up yeilds a way better sound IMO course evry car is diff

right...but 14" tall trunk and a 15" sub don't work well without a slanted baffle, and I'm wanting to try something different this time.

I know....I should probably just wait for the 12

on1wheel01
06-03-2009, 02:35 AM
i had the same problem in my car with a 15. i did sub up port back and it got crazy loud

mazdakid
06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
I did a few downfiring boxes in my old 626. If you fire the sub into the empty spare tire well it should work good.