PDA

View Full Version : curious box question

d2freak82
06-01-2009, 12:34 AM
I was thinking of cutting my sub into my back seat, firing it straight into the cabin, my back seat does not fold down, and has a metal support. I figured I could either 1 reinforce it with mdf, and build the rest of the box around that, or just use the metal but I'm sure that would rattle like a mofo, so pretty sure that idea is out.
First question is, would this be an insanely crazy idea to take on as far as difficulty? This is my first try at a ported box.
Second, would you cut the port to fire through the seat, or up through the back deck (where the 6x9's are supposed to mount), gonna do with aero ports. haven't completely decided if I'm gonna go with 2 or 3 4"x 14" ports, kinda decides what frequency I run at. It calls for 2 on the 33hz@8b, and 3 on the 40hz@6db. I guess I could always redo it if I don't like the first box.

If it helps any this will be done with a 15, in a 96 grand am 4 door, I figure if I could do this the seat wouldn't eat up so much of the sound coming from the trunk, and it would look pretty **** cool.

bonesninja
06-01-2009, 12:37 AM
I was thinking of cutting my sub into my back, firing it straight into the cabin, my back seat does not fold down, and has a metal support. I figured I could either 1 reinforce it with mdf, and build the rest of the box around that, or just use the metal but I'm sure that would rattle like a mofo, so pretty sure that idea is out.
First question is, would this be an insanely crazy idea to take on as far as difficulty? This is my first try at a ported box.
Second, would you cut the port to fire through the seat, or up through the back deck (where the 6x9's are supposed to mount), gonna do with aero ports. haven't completely decided if I'm gonna go with 2 or 3 4"x 14" ports, kinda decides what frequency I run at. It calls for 2 on the 33hz@8b, and 3 on the 40hz@6db. I guess I could always redo it if I don't like the first box.

If it helps any this will be done with a 15, in a 96 grand am 4 door, I figure if I could do this the seat wouldn't eat up so much of the sound coming from the trunk, and it would look pretty **** cool.

thats gonna hurt like hell....make sure you use a sterile scalpel and clean the incision

d2freak82
06-01-2009, 12:55 AM
lol ya I edited it, it's supposed to be back seat lol

PatFitz9
06-01-2009, 12:57 AM
You should probably build a regular ported box before taking on something like this.

Buck
06-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Run an aero through the back deck.

d2freak82
06-01-2009, 01:04 AM
ya I was thinking the back deck with the aero would be the best idea, I found a good place to buy them, and it should be a fairly easy thing to do. The sound should reflect off the back glass nicely I hope.

Buck
06-01-2009, 01:13 AM
What size is the box you plan on using? What sub? How much power?

d2freak82
06-01-2009, 01:31 AM
it's the 1999 series HCCA 15D (orion), with an HCCA 1200D on it (1200watts rms at 1 ohm, the sub is dual 2ohm).
and if I go with the SQ box, which is my plan to begin with, it's 4ft^3, 33hz@8db (I haven't figured out what the 8db is for at the end of that yet.... so if anyone knows might be useful to know)
if I don't like that box, I'll build the boomer box as the spec sheet calls it, which is 4.25ft^3, 40hz@6db