PDA

View Full Version : pollyfill a ported box

luv2shrOOm
05-30-2009, 12:33 AM
well just for shix and giggles i bought a huge 10lb box of loose pollyfill and stuffed as much as i could in one chamber of my box (7.6 cubes for 2 15"s) i don't have the other pair hooked up cause i'm waiting for my new amp to arrive and am using a rockford 1000 for now. anyway...WOW!! HUGE DIFFERENCE. the lows are where i want them and just off the pair i can feel the change,
now two things i worry about is since the pollyfill is loose, it may break up more as time goes on and fly out my 8" sonotubes...:crazy:
and also the whole box is packed up to the speakers and the fill touches the leads and magnets.. is this safe?

MakeshiftAudio
05-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Because polyfill touching magnets causes the same effect as flux capacitors. Though if it does move the tinsels too much, it could eventually cause damage.

luv2shrOOm
05-30-2009, 12:40 AM
other than this, no risk of fire or melting the pollyfill?

justin smith
05-30-2009, 12:50 AM
really i had like 5lbs im my 7.4ft^3 box and when i took it out it helped me out in the 30hz area alot

luv2shrOOm
05-30-2009, 12:55 AM
i say it's because my box is too small...

Volenti
05-30-2009, 01:14 AM
other than this, no risk of fire or melting the pollyfill?

Polyfill tends to melt/shrink away from heat sources and you pretty much need to apply an open flame to set it alight (and it doesn't burn very well even then) you would only need to worry if your sub it's self catches fire.

Keep in mind though that it will act as an insulator and may reduce the amount of power the sub can handle under long term use, though in a vented enclosure this may not be a relevant as it is in sealed.

luv2shrOOm
05-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Polyfill tends to melt/shrink away from heat sources and you pretty much need to apply an open flame to set it alight (and it doesn't burn very well even then) you would only need to worry if your sub it's self catches fire.

Keep in mind though that it will act as an insulator and may reduce the amount of power the sub can handle under long term use, though in a vented enclosure this may not be a relevant as it is in sealed.

thx for the info, i'm switching from a kicker 2500 to an autotek mm4000, so i'm pumped to hear the final upgrade. that is until i get a 250 amp alt and some second skin

DNick454
05-30-2009, 05:26 PM
The reason you got louder and lower is because polyfil makes the sub think it is in a larger enclosure. So by adding it, you increased the net volume and lowered the tuning in a theoretical sense. That's why it's used in small little sealed boxes to get the low end, and in Transmission Line boxes so they don't have to be like 50 ft long, etc.