PDA

View Full Version : Maxima Owners and Trunk Owners Please Look Inside!

snfsh79077
05-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I am building an enclosure for a friend of mine and would like some inquiry on the situation. His vehicle is an 05 maxima 4 door and his equipment is a 12w7 paired with a Jl 1000/1. I finished the design yesterday and presented it to him. I originally told him that due to the height of his trunk it might be best to fire subs and port forward and semi seal it from the trunk. Well his original idea was to have the port and sub firing into the trunk sealed off from the front but I told him that was a bad idea.

Well another friend of ours was their when I was showing him the design and he was like "that's stupid its louder if you fire it into the trunk". So I proceeded to tell him why I designed the box the way I did but he was like oh I know more than you because I'm older and have had more systems than you blah blah blah... Anyway the owner of the car is leaning more towards his sealing everything off from the front idea so it will "look good".

I talked to him about putting a window on the back to see the ars of the sub and a nice amp rack so I will be showing him pictures of that. I also want to get personal experience from people with this vehicle and what they did.

The design I came up with is 2 cuft @ 32hz
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg46/gboxx1/Mattsbox5withportandbracing.png

If you have any questions on the design let me know

snfsh79077
05-28-2009, 09:36 PM
bump

basshedz06
05-28-2009, 09:45 PM
don't really understand the humps on the side but from working with my altima which is an 98 17 tall is a high as i can go on my boxes an about 40 inces wide. with that said they can't be 17 tall an 40 wide or even 36 wide caouse it won't fit in my trunk but his car it may.
i would say build him a box that is 2.5 to 3cubes tune it to about 38 or 42hz an throw it in his trunk.
sounds to me he wants his tag to rattle so he can seem louder an inside the car if the subs an port ar back it is louder than subs an port into cabin. thats from my testin.
i say 25x14x16 an tuned to 40hz should do him good on music. but thats just me man i run 15's now but but that is the size of my 12 box i have in storage.

shakinghorizons
05-28-2009, 09:55 PM
sealing off from the cab is retarded, how can you expect to get any air movement (sound) into the passenger area? the best thing i have ever done is seal off my box to the cab. having the subs fire into the trunk will give you better bass reflex on the lows generally. but if it is all sealed to face into the cab you will not be dissappointed. i moved from 46's to mid 48's on music by sealing it off. my best investment was in a couple rolls of duct tape just to see how id like it. i fiberglassed it up after seeing the huge diff it made.

basshedz06
05-28-2009, 10:08 PM
^^^^^^^now i have thought about doing this to mine own car but i am not into all that "cut here cut there" stuff. port it up through the speaker holes in the rear deck loading off the window should be loud as hell i think. i will give it try later.
but yea i think sealed from the cabin is louder cause you don't have to worry about cancelation an ****.

shakinghorizons
05-28-2009, 10:17 PM
what? sealed off from the cabin is like putting subs in the bed of a truck. absolutly pointless and a waste of time in my opinion

mlstrass
05-28-2009, 10:20 PM
what? sealed off from the cabin is like putting subs in the bed of a truck. absolutly pointless and a waste of time in my opinion

He said port/sub firing forward and sealed off. Try ****ing reading next time and quit drinking Flat Tire :laugh:

.M3THOD.
05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
I have an 06 maxima (same model/body as your friend) it seems sub firing into the trunk got the loudest for me. I also removed the 6x9's for better air movement. I know a few people with cutom set-ups in the 6th gen maxima and ported through the rear deck seems to be the best overall.

thevic24
05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
dose his car have the factory sub? if so then you can take that out to help get sound into the cab. as far as tuning, dont tune that w7 to 40hz, imo dont go over 38hz.
i had a 10w7 in a trunked car that fired up into an 18"x18" cutout in my wifes car. the box was sealed off from the trunk and it got down great.

snfsh79077
05-28-2009, 11:37 PM
don't really understand the humps on the side but from working with my altima which is an 98 17 tall is a high as i can go on my boxes an about 40 inces wide. with that said they can't be 17 tall an 40 wide or even 36 wide caouse it won't fit in my trunk but his car it may.
i would say build him a box that is 2.5 to 3cubes tune it to about 38 or 42hz an throw it in his trunk.
sounds to me he wants his tag to rattle so he can seem louder an inside the car if the subs an port ar back it is louder than subs an port into cabin. thats from my testin.
i say 25x14x16 an tuned to 40hz should do him good on music. but thats just me man i run 15's now but but that is the size of my 12 box i have in storage.

A box that big and tuned that high is no good for a 12w7. I've heard 2-2.25 cuft is the sweet spot.

In this gen maxima the trunk is pretty ****** and only has a total height of a little over 14" without taking stuff out. The humps are for two "bars" that come down. Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with:
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg46/gboxx1/2005nissanmaxima20139137-E.jpg

sealing off from the cab is retarded, how can you expect to get any air movement (sound) into the passenger area? the best thing i have ever done is seal off my box to the cab. having the subs fire into the trunk will give you better bass reflex on the lows generally. but if it is all sealed to face into the cab you will not be dissappointed. i moved from 46's to mid 48's on music by sealing it off. my best investment was in a couple rolls of duct tape just to see how id like it. i fiberglassed it up after seeing the huge diff it made.

That what I told them. When someone seals everything off from the cab they are only doing it for show purposes and not functionality. Then the other guy was like it will still be loud though...

I forgot to mention that he wants a beauty panel that goes across the trunk so its going to get semi sealed anyway.

x2

He said port/sub firing forward and sealed off. Try ****ing reading next time and quit drinking Flat Tire :laugh:

He was correct in what he said. My idea was to seal them into the cab, while the other two guys were saying seal it into the trunk.

I have an 06 maxima (same model/body as your friend) it seems sub firing into the trunk got the loudest for me. I also removed the 6x9's for better air movement. I know a few people with cutom set-ups in the 6th gen maxima and ported through the rear deck seems to be the best overall.

Well I told him if he really wanted to put the sub facing the trunk I could just seal the sub off from the cabin into the trunk but port the box through the rear deck underneath the 6x9 grills. Still stupid but not as bad I guess..

dose his car have the factory sub? if so then you can take that out to help get sound into the cab. as far as tuning, dont tune that w7 to 40hz, imo dont go over 38hz.
i had a 10w7 in a trunked car that fired up into an 18"x18" cutout in my wifes car. the box was sealed off from the trunk and it got down great.

I am not sure if it has the factory sub. Probably should have asked but he had a previous setup in there that looked to be pretty crappy.

With all of this said he wants that clean look of a beauty panel conforming to the trunk so something is getting sealed either way..

I would really like to port through the rear deck with sub facing into the cabin semi sealed off from the trunk with a window in the trunk to see the magnet with maybe some led's in there. Then build an amp rack of some sort.

snfsh79077
05-29-2009, 01:28 AM
bump

basshedz06
05-29-2009, 07:29 AM
that trunk still hasn't changed i see still big *** gap at the top an small opening at the bottom making it the hardest trunk to put a big box in anyway. well if he wants the subs firing into the trunk yes port that thing through the deck lid.
an of course 2.5 3 cubes isn't that big man an 40 hz isn't that high. he can play alot more music at 40hz i mean the one comment on guys said don't tune no higher thatn 38hz. come on man 38hz dude thats only 2 hz away from 40 an you can cut the box 1 or 2 inches too long, wide, or tall an get that 40hz an not know it. but anyway build it how u wanna an i can see a different box in this trunk within a few months after you put this one in.

snfsh79077
05-29-2009, 11:29 AM
that trunk still hasn't changed i see still big *** gap at the top an small opening at the bottom making it the hardest trunk to put a big box in anyway. well if he wants the subs firing into the trunk yes port that thing through the deck lid.
an of course 2.5 3 cubes isn't that big man an 40 hz isn't that high. he can play alot more music at 40hz i mean the one comment on guys said don't tune no higher thatn 38hz. come on man 38hz dude thats only 2 hz away from 40 an you can cut the box 1 or 2 inches too long, wide, or tall an get that 40hz an not know it. but anyway build it how u wanna an i can see a different box in this trunk within a few months after you put this one in.

Well the box isn't for me, its for a "customer". He's not looking to get full potential out of his setup but to just get the most he can while still looking "cool". I know 2.5 - 3 cubes isnt that big but for a single 12 I would think 3 cubes would be to big. From what I could find people seem to like 2-2.25 tuned around 32 for the 12w7. With that being said I think he would be more than happy with 2 cubes @ 32 and give the sub around 750-800rms.

The only issue is his contradicting wants. He wants to seal it off from the cab but have it still "beat the block down" and sound good...which I don't see happening. If worsts comes to worst it looks like I'm going to have to seal the sub off from the cab and port through the rear deck.

Thanks for the compliments and lets get some more guys!!

snfsh79077
05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
bump for more help

snfsh79077
05-29-2009, 07:41 PM
up

basshedz06
05-30-2009, 03:59 PM
if he isn't wanting full potential then why are you bothering us man just build the idiot what he wants then give it back to him, charge him the money he owes when he brings it back charge him more to pull it out an rebuild. its obvious man you can't change his mind i have triend this with some ppl's before an it don't work. makes my pockets phat but **** them off cause its not loud enough for them or don't work like they thought it would.
you have told him what would work an he still don't listen then do what he wants. then take him to someone that has a trunk car with close to what he gots an show him that they are louder like this then wam bam more money. this guys sounds like a douche bag if you ask me.

if your gonna be at scrapin bring him to my car ask around fro supadave

snfsh79077
05-30-2009, 04:08 PM
if he isn't wanting full potential then why are you bothering us man just build the idiot what he wants then give it back to him, charge him the money he owes when he brings it back charge him more to pull it out an rebuild. its obvious man you can't change his mind i have triend this with some ppl's before an it don't work. makes my pockets phat but **** them off cause its not loud enough for them or don't work like they thought it would.
you have told him what would work an he still don't listen then do what he wants. then take him to someone that has a trunk car with close to what he gots an show him that they are louder like this then wam bam more money. this guys sounds like a douche bag if you ask me.

if your gonna be at scrapin bring him to my car ask around fro supadave

haha honestly I have thought about saying **** it and sealing everything off from the cab and when he complains just say hey thats what you asked for and I tried to talk you out of it. However, I have a reputation of satisfying my customers so I don't really want to have a blip in it, especially since this customer has the potential to bring me a lot more jobs. He asked for me to get some opinions on his specific car so I said I would and provide some pictures of installs which is why I am "bothering" yal with this.

I will have the truck out at scrapin as usual but don't know if he will be there. Either way Ill come find you and check your car out.

MakeshiftAudio
05-30-2009, 04:12 PM
I have an 02 Nissan Altima, has near identical trunk as shown in the picture. I have been having a problem finding a good design for a box. So far, my best bet has been using a 29"x34"x 15.5", sub(18") facing up and putting external PVC ports (Thinking it's going to be 2 8" pipes) in the area behind the seats. According to SPY, I need 25.75" of 100.5 square inches of port area with 6.8'^3 box volume.

That's going to be fun, although I am looking at taking a reciprocating saw to the angles blocking things in the trunk, after finding out what they go to.

snfsh79077
05-30-2009, 04:15 PM
I have an 02 Nissan Altima, has near identical trunk as shown in the picture. I have been having a problem finding a good design for a box. So far, my best bet has been using a 29"x34"x 15.5", sub(18") facing up and putting external PVC ports (Thinking it's going to be 2 8" pipes) in the area behind the seats. According to SPY, I need 25.75" of 100.5 square inches of port area with 6.8'^3 box volume.

That's going to be fun, although I am looking at taking a reciprocating saw to the angles blocking things in the trunk, after finding out what they go to.

That box is a lot bigger than what is needed here lol but also I wouldn't be able to fire the sub up since he wants a beauty panel. I appreciate the comment though and I'll let you know how this sounds when its all said and done.

snfsh79077
05-31-2009, 10:47 AM
up

snfsh79077
06-02-2009, 01:02 AM
bump

snfsh79077
06-04-2009, 12:12 PM
back up!

woot 2000!!