PDA

View Full Version : Aero Port guide?

7ender
05-28-2009, 02:39 AM
Is there a guide or 101 type thing for how to make aeroport boxes? iv'e been searching around and get the basic idea, but I have alot of questions about them and I was just wondering if there's one place I can read all about them on.

Iv'e already checked out psp-inc, and I know how long my ports should be. I want to know what the differences are between choosing something like 4 4" ports vs. 1 6".

If there's nothing around, i'll just keep searchin around here, but I was hoping there might be somewhere I could just read up all about htem at once.

Thanks!

gotparts90
05-28-2009, 03:02 AM
a dude from australia has a nice site collison is his name http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/ has some good info and some simple programs.

Lakota
05-28-2009, 03:49 PM
A lot of people, including me, go by rules of thumb with aeroports. The best feature about them is that they're very easy to quickly re-tune, allowing you to easily tune them to what you like.

Skip01
05-28-2009, 05:10 PM
And they don't take up any room like a slot would.

That's 90% of the reason I use them.

And of course too me they are always louder, but that's arguable I guess

roarzorz
05-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Aeroports add the deebeez! :fyi: Just ask your questions and we'll answer them to the best of our ability.

WrenchGuy
05-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Iv'e already checked out psp-inc, and I know how long my ports should be. I want to know what the differences are between choosing something like 4 4" ports vs. 1 6".

Thanks!

Required port area, length and "chuffing".

7ender
05-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Well, I'm trying to make a 4.0ft^3 @32hz box for a 15" Lethal Injection.

If someone could help me design one would that would be awesome =). I know the basic dimensions I need, but I'm not sure how to incorporate the aero ports.

From my searching around, iv'e decided that i'm going to use PVC pipe, and use a heat gun/bowl to flare the ends.

How do I determine if I should use one 6" port or multiple 4" ports? Both come up with reasonable lengths when plugged into psp-inc. Is there some general rule that bigger diameter ports are better, etc?

Thanks for all the help!

Lakota
05-29-2009, 01:45 AM
How do I determine if I should use one 6" port or multiple 4" ports? Both come up with reasonable lengths when plugged into psp-inc. Is there some general rule that bigger diameter ports are better, etc?

Thanks for all the help!

Once again, most of us go by rules of thumb. Fit the most port area and port length that you can. Use the port calculators and start off with a high amount of port area, and if the port length is unreasonably long then cut down on port area.

I'd try to do 3 4" (might be tough to fit) or a single 6" (should be easy to fit). That low, 32 hz tuning makes it a little harder to run a lot of port area without the port length becoming stupid long.

7ender
05-29-2009, 04:58 AM
Alright thanks.

So what exactly would be the difference between the 3 4"s and the 1 6"?

The calculator says I'll need 22" or port if I use the 4" pvc, or 16" if I use the 6".

Which would be a better choice? I can fit either in my box.

Lakota
05-29-2009, 10:53 AM
3 4" is a tad bit more port area. Which is the better choice probably depends on the box design.

psych0ticnemes1
05-29-2009, 11:20 AM
3 4" is a tad bit more port area. Which is the better choice probably depends on the box design.

1 6" aero is only about 28 square inches of port... Is that enough for a single 15"?

mazdakid
05-29-2009, 11:35 AM
1 6" aero is only about 28 square inches of port... Is that enough for a single 15"?
Yes it is. I have a 6" aero in 4 cubes with my 15 and its the loudest box so far in the 2 years I've had the sub.

mazdakid
05-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Double post

Lakota
05-30-2009, 09:53 PM

You can get away with it. One of my teammates is running 2 6" aero's for his 2 15's and is near a 152 at the headrest.

roarzorz
05-31-2009, 12:06 PM
I'd try to do 3 4" (might be tough to fit) or a single 6" (should be easy to fit). That low, 32 hz tuning makes it a little harder to run a lot of port area without the port length becoming stupid long.

Well said.

Alright thanks.

So what exactly would be the difference between the 3 4"s and the 1 6"?

The calculator says I'll need 22" or port if I use the 4" pvc, or 16" if I use the 6".

Which would be a better choice? I can fit either in my box.

For a daily setup just do one 6" port. It'll be easier and cheaper.

MCarmer
05-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Hello all I have a few questions but first some information for you.

This is for my daily driving car, no competition use just music daily. Id love to get a little more out of the box and subs i currently have by porting it.

I got a dual 15 sealed enclosure, its approx 3.22 cubes per side after driver displacement.
I'm going to port both sides of the enclosure and Im aiming for around 38hz tuning since i listen to a good bit of music.

I am going to EITHER USE 2 3 inch(ID) ports or a single 6 inch(ID) port for each side of the enclosure.

ACCORDING TO:
http://www.psp-inc.com/psp-inc.com/cgi-bin/port_length_calculator.cgi

Volume of Box in Cubic Feet: 3.22
Tuning frequency: 38
Port diameter: 3
Number of Ports: 2

Straight Length Port required 6.0
Flare Length Port required 7.0
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So would it be best to use 2 3 inch(ID) tubes 7 inches long each total including the flared end.
( http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-350 $13.30 EACH)
OR
Should i pony up the extra bit of cash and just use 1 6 inch(ID) that's 13 inches long including the flared end.
( http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-354 $37.97 EACH)

So my questions to those who have experience in this or knowledge of using these ports are:

1. 2 3 inch ports per side are cheaper than 1 6 inch port per side, BUT would they both sound and work the same as far as tuning the box? IF not then why?

2. Should i put the ports on the face of the enclosure? OR on the sides of the enclosure?(IF ON THE SIDES, THEY SHOULD GO ON THE BACK OR FRONT?)

MCarmer
06-02-2009, 12:54 AM
so no one whos worked with aeroports can answer my questions?

Lakota
06-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Go with a single 6, because for larger future setups the 3 in ports will be useless.

Lakota
06-02-2009, 02:08 AM
What kind of car do you have? That will determine the box design.

roarzorz
06-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Unless using the ports externally you need to calculate for port displacement.

MCarmer
06-02-2009, 12:58 PM
the box takes up pretty much 3/4 of the trunk, its in my daily driver accord.

I wont do a upgrade with this box and car, this is for my daily driver accord, i dont want to upgrade electrical, add batteries or anything else, its used for trips and back and forth a-b driving.

If i go with more power & bigger sub or subs in this car i will build a new box for it as this one is a pre-fabed sealed box, Im going to convert to ported.

If i do (1)6 inch port off each side of the box i can stick them outta the box about 4 in each it will come close to the sides of the trunk, if i use (2)3 inch ports on the face for each chamber i can stick them out as far as i want because i can just move the box back a little.

If i do a single 6 inch port on each chamber i will have to do it on the side of the box because the face of the box doesnt have a 6 inch spot free to put it there.

Which would be better using a single 6 inch port on each chamber, aiming up or out the side?