PDA

View Full Version : Best screws for box building

SPLluminator
05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
What would you guys recommend. Ive always used 1-5/8 in. drywall screws. But i also have an issue with spliting. I used a nail gun but i like screws a bit more. But am unsure what to get. Thanks,
Mike Wentworth

jmanpc
05-27-2009, 03:47 PM
What would you guys recommend. Ive always used 1-5/8 in. drywall screws. But i also have an issue with spliting. I used a nail gun but i like screws a bit more. But am unsure what to get. Thanks,
Mike Wentworth

Predrill and get away from the edges. I use a 3/32" bit and stay at least 2-3" from edges.

1 5/8 coarse drywall screws are the way to go, though.

BassMechkanic
05-27-2009, 03:52 PM
drywall screws are for drywall! - they make construction screws - homedepot sells them, i think they are gold.

SPLluminator
05-27-2009, 03:56 PM
K ill go buy some more. Ill just use a bigger predrill bit. I always coutner sink as well. SO im guessing i am just using too small of a bit.

jdawg
05-27-2009, 03:58 PM
i use 1 5/8 fine thread drywall screws when I did, dude you need to predrill, that is why its splitting.
I have been using a nail gun for the past 5 years or so, it kicks ***, so much faster. The key is you HAVE to clamp, pick up some pipe clamps, clamp the edge tight, then nail, i usaully let it set for about half hour then take the clamps off, the nails will hold it tight while the glue sets completely

cshaw
05-27-2009, 04:05 PM
no screws here. just clamps. screws only help while the glue dries. but getting enough clamps helps if you not using screws. the glue will have a stronger bond than the wood itself. jdawgs idea is great if you have the money to a get a nail gun. sounds faster

bonesninja
05-27-2009, 04:09 PM
hands down the absolute best screws i have ever used. 3/32" predrill and these things are golden. They pull extremely tight without stripping and i have never broken a screw head off. Also, they use a diiferent style phillips bit (comes in the box) which never slips like a regular #2 bit will on a regular screw

http://www.deckmatescrews.com/

jdawg
05-27-2009, 04:17 PM
no screws here. just clamps. screws only help while the glue dries. but getting enough clamps helps if you not using screws. the glue will have a stronger bond than the wood itself. jdawgs idea is great if you have the money to a get a nail gun. sounds faster

doesnt cost that much really $100 for a cheapie compressor from like Target or Walmart, then $30 for a brad nailer on ebay

DNick454
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Mike Wentworth

I'm using full 2" screws and getting no issues at all. As a rule of thumb, hold the screw sideways and compare it to a bit. You want the pre-drill bit to be about the same size as the shaft on the screw so that only the threads are biting into the wood. Too big of a bit and obviously you'll strip the wood, too small and the screw will expand the hole too much when it goes in.

As to your question for the best kind... any kind of drywall screw, use the square or 6 sided star shaped ones to put your subs in... yes they're a tad more expensive but the common thief most likely won't have that and can't jack your **** lol :fyi:

jmanpc
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I liked these a lot. They were for wonderboard I think it was called. It was like asphalt inside plastic mesh. Anyhow, these screws are beasts.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/goatboy_521/Box%20Builds/P7285131.jpg

cshaw
05-27-2009, 04:24 PM
doesnt cost that much really $100 for a cheapie compressor from like Target or Walmart, then $30 for a brad nailer on ebay

your giving me to many ideas of ways to spend my money! trying to save for a table saw!

bonesninja
05-27-2009, 04:26 PM
your giving me to many ideas of ways to spend my money! trying to save for a table saw!

SEARS HAS LAY-A-WAY