PDA

View Full Version : How to make a box? what will i need?

Master69
05-25-2009, 12:05 PM
ok guys i already know how big my box should be .8-1 cube...i know i am supposed to use mdf but what kind?
and what else will i need?
does the box need to be 100% sealed?
should i put carpet on it? if so what kind?
how much is this going to cost me?

treadburner
05-25-2009, 12:08 PM
are you doing a sealed or ported box?
use .75 inch mdf
usually around $30 and for that box you will only need 1 sheet
pm me and ill give u a design

fasfocus00
05-25-2009, 12:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb_hhu6nTX0

try here:

DNick454
05-25-2009, 03:08 PM
3/4" is preferable, but if all you can find is 1/2, you can always double it up. Also, 5/8ths inch MDF would be acceptable for such a small enclosure, no bracing is needed either. Best tips I can give you to box building :

1. Make sure all your cuts are square and spot on, don't trust the guys at home depot to give you perfect cuts. If you use them, make sure you give them dimensions that are about 1/4 inch too big, because more often than not, they find a way to **** up, so have them cut big, and then finish cut at home to exact specs.

2. Use Titebond or Titebond III glue to hold the box together. NOT screws. Screws are there to keep the box's shape while the glue cures and keep a constant pressure. Yes the screws add strength, but they should NOT be what holds your box together.

3. I guess this is a continuation of part 2. If you're going to use silicone anywhere on your box, it goes into the corners once the box is built, NOT in between two pieces before they go together to fill in huge gaps or hold the box together.

4. Lastly and probably the most important, invest a bit of money or borrow some wood clamps and 90 degree braces. No matter how exact your cuts are, if a wall on the box is put up and it's sloping a tad, it'll throw every other measurement and piece alignment off and you'll have to start over.

Hope that's not too much of what NOT to do lol :D

Good luck with the build :crazy:

Doingstuffwell
05-25-2009, 03:09 PM
remember to take pics.. and post them

AllDayMJ
05-25-2009, 03:10 PM
1. lots of cardboard
2.razor blade
3. fold the **** out of it
4. poof...box

Master69
05-25-2009, 03:56 PM
thanks guys

i have another question, what does the carpet do? and should i put carpet on it?

fasfocus00
05-25-2009, 04:12 PM
thanks guys

i have another question, what does the carpet do? and should i put carpet on it?

you can't possible be serious... honestly questions/threads like this should be flamed b/c you can google or use the search button to get your answers. hell there's vids on youtube that are step by step like the one I posted for you. you're just being lazy.

SPLluminator
05-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Carpet adds the dbs. Without it your car wont run

treadburner
05-25-2009, 04:20 PM
lol build it to the specs i gave ya and u will be fine
carpet only helps it look nicer

1rockford1
05-25-2009, 04:24 PM
wood.

nickolas_j_t
05-25-2009, 04:41 PM
carpet it.

thegreatestpenn
05-25-2009, 04:43 PM
perhaps you should do a search on box-building before you start. there are some nice tutorials here and other places with pictures to get you started. then u won't get flamed so hard as you already have

DNick454
05-25-2009, 05:03 PM
thanks guys

Well to be honest, if you carpet the box nicely, you can add a few dB's, and if you do a two-tone carpet job with matching port paint, it can sometimes lower the car's peak frequency. But if you have seams in the carpet showing or wires going through the port, your subs will fial and assplodez