PDA

View Full Version : ported box help

srch4aresn
05-24-2009, 02:30 AM
i have a dilemma here with a ported box i'm builiding.

i bought a jl 13w3v3 and i cut the wood according to the specifications given in the manual. but how it came out looks a little ackward. first off tell me if this looks right as far as the port looks(i just used some objects to hold the wood in place to take a quick pic

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/SRcH4aReSN/photo.jpg

now heres the dilemma.

first i laid the bottom picece of wood on the ground. if i put the sides (L,R,F,B) on the SIDE of the bottom piece of wood, then 1.) the top piece won't clear all the gaps and 2.) the port pieces are too tall for it so i'd have to trim the port pieces.

second, if i put the sides (L,R,F,B) on TOP of the bottom piece of wood, 1.) the port piece touches the back so it closes the port off 2.) makes the port width smaller so i'd have to trim some wood off the front which would change the given dimensions

heres a pic from the jl audio website that i added to
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/SRcH4aReSN/13W7BOX.jpg

xNaStYx
05-24-2009, 02:33 AM
you sure you cut it out right? and also laid it out right?

srch4aresn
05-24-2009, 02:37 AM
yeah i had the dude at home depot do it. but on the manual it mentions the dimensions given were for the EXTERNAL dimensions and it recommended using 3/4 mdf wood. so does that mean i should of subtracted 3/4inch from some of the dimensions?

xNaStYx
05-24-2009, 02:38 AM
yeah i had the dude at home depot do it. but on the manual it mentions the dimensions given were for the EXTERNAL dimensions and it recommended using 3/4 mdf wood. so does that mean i should of subtracted 3/4inch from some of the dimensions?

Just because they did it, doesn't mean they did it right...

And yes.. you should have accounted for the 3/4"

srch4aresn
05-24-2009, 02:39 AM
and i double checked the cuts too. its just if i put the wood on TOP of the bottom piece of wood, the thick *** wood cuts off 3/4 inch on each side which in turns makes the first port piece hit the back piece of wood AND it cuts the port down from 1.5 inches like the manual says to like nothing so i'd have to cut some ****

xNaStYx
05-24-2009, 02:41 AM
Yes, If you didnt account for the 3/4" on certain pieces, they come have to cut some ****

srch4aresn
05-24-2009, 02:41 AM
alright so now that i know i should of subtracted the 3/4 are you saying that i should put the sides (L,R,F,B) on TOP of the bottom piece of wood and just cut the pieces so it fits?

Williams37
05-24-2009, 02:47 AM
Home depot guys rarely cut my stuff right, I'm not TOO picky, but I usually finish cut all my wood once I get home.

xNaStYx
05-24-2009, 02:47 AM
Well it all depends, if you are setting it up exactly as shown in the bottom part of that picture they you need to cut stuff. Don't just cut pieces so it fits, your box will sound like **** and most likely not come out the the right dimensions. If you are following that pictures then the two pieces you DONT have to fix are the front(where the hole for the sub and port are) and the back(opposite the front). Since they are both on the outer parts, they dont need to be cut. The top and bottom pieces need to be cut 1.5" on the D side(As labeled on graph). So they should be 15.125x23.75. The two side pieces need to be cut on both sides 1.5" so they are 15.5x15.125

Also I forogt.. You would have to cut your port pieces down to 15.5" height also

Someone correct me if im wrong.. its late and I did that all in my head :D

srch4aresn
05-24-2009, 02:28 PM
alright thx a lot man. im gonna be working on this tomorrow so i'll let ya know how it turns out :D

GearGuy2001
05-24-2009, 02:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/GearGuy2001/caraudio/DSCN2034.jpg

Maybe that picture will help you see how the pieces fit together also note they all sit on the bottom piece

DonH
05-24-2009, 02:47 PM
man cant really tell anything in that pic haha. also home depot cuts FTMFL! cut them yourself next time!!!

GearGuy2001
05-24-2009, 02:49 PM
man cant really tell anything in that pic haha. also home depot cuts FTMFL! cut them yourself next time!!!

I was going to say the same thing but sometimes people don't have access or the know how to cut a box themselves.

srch4aresn
05-24-2009, 06:40 PM
yes that pic helped. thx

also the dude at home depot did it perfect but thx for the input. I already got the table saw ready to cut tomorrow after I take my buddies out to look at handguns

srch4aresn
05-25-2009, 05:14 PM
alright what do I do.

cut the bottom and put the front and back outside it like what nasty said

or

put all the pieces on top like I'm gearguys pic

srch4aresn
05-25-2009, 05:16 PM
like In****

stupid iPhone