View Full Version : which sub(s) for my home theater

mobeious
05-24-2009, 12:27 AM
4 8's ported on 1k or 1 15" on 1k

jdawg
05-24-2009, 12:37 AM

Louisiana_CRX
05-24-2009, 12:41 AM
four 8's ported...one in each corner of the room.....

mobeious
05-24-2009, 12:48 AM
btw 250 dollar budget... and if i did the 8's they would all be in one box

Zeuslicious
05-24-2009, 12:51 AM
I'll go with 1 15" AA Avalanche...
Edit:15" TC7 will be a nice sub too...

Brian_smith06
05-24-2009, 12:54 AM
15" Titanic :)

PV Audio
05-24-2009, 12:55 AM
15". It isn't even a question.

PV Audio
05-24-2009, 12:55 AM
four 8's ported...one in each corner of the room.....

This is not a good idea, do not listen to it.

mobeious
05-24-2009, 12:57 AM
15 it is then.... i was lookin at that CSS 15 but i cant find a power rating for it

caps
05-24-2009, 01:03 AM
cone area;
One 15" = 176.71
Four 8" = 201.06

ciaonzo
05-24-2009, 01:04 AM
cone area;
One 15" = 176.71
Four 8" = 201.06

Thank you.

This thread was hilarious.

Louisiana_CRX
05-24-2009, 01:08 AM
cone area;
One 15" = 176.71
Four 8" = 201.06

four 8's =PWN in cone area

ciaonzo
05-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Not to mention, as CRX said, you can place them in more than one location to help with room modes.

ciaonzo
05-24-2009, 01:12 AM
We need to address your true goals and narrow the field of driver choices down before we just say 8" or 15".

adio
05-24-2009, 07:03 AM
cone area;
One 15" = 176.71
Four 8" = 201.06

but will there be an audible difference tho?

ciaonzo
05-24-2009, 09:18 AM
but will there be an audible difference tho?

Again, too vague a question.

We need to factor in the net sensitivity of the four 8" drivers as well as the mechanical stroke.

Four correctly chosen 8" drivers could easily outperform a single 15".

Thinking back on his budget, he'll probably be better off going with a single 15".

mobeious
05-24-2009, 09:39 AM
well its going to be 75% movies 25% music 15" is more then likey going to have a lower Fs with would suit a HT application better

ballstothewall
05-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Go with the 15" you will like it quite a bit more for movies.

mobeious
05-24-2009, 10:16 AM
i forgot to add this is going in my living room area wich is around 12.5x13 but its a open floor plan so dining room and kitchen are kinda in the area no walls to close in the sound from the sub

ciaonzo
05-24-2009, 10:28 AM
If you go with a 15", you should seriously consider this driver.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-468

It has lots of copper in the motor (low inductance, low distortion), it's efficient, and it digs very deep. Works well in sealed enclosures and does even better in EBS enclosures. We're talking in the teens here. At the price, it's a no-brainer.

PV Audio
05-24-2009, 02:21 PM
cone area;
One 15" = 176.71
Four 8" = 201.06

Thank you.

This thread was hilarious.
Neither of you get it. This isn't car audio where there isn't important information down to 10hz. Cone area alone is merely a part of the equation.

PV Audio
05-24-2009, 02:22 PM
well its going to be 75% movies 25% music 15" is more then likey going to have a lower Fs with would suit a HT application better

Go with the 15" you will like it quite a bit more for movies.Both of you DO get it. Thank you.

PV Audio
05-24-2009, 02:29 PM
If you go with a 15", you should seriously consider this driver.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-468

It has lots of copper in the motor (low inductance, low distortion), it's efficient, and it digs very deep. Works well in sealed enclosures and does even better in EBS enclosures. We're talking in the teens here. At the price, it's a no-brainer.
The titanic 15 is a far better driver. I own both, and in my HT enclosure for the titanic, it simply defies belief.

jdawg
05-24-2009, 02:33 PM
PV is right, mostly for movies you are waaaayyy better of with a larger driver with a lower fs, than more cone area with a high fs of like 35, its not car audio, its a bit different

PV Audio
05-24-2009, 02:37 PM
PV is right, mostly for movies you are waaaayyy better of with a larger driver with a lower fs, than more cone area with a high fs of like 35, its not car audio, its a bit different
Precisely. When you want to reproduce some Jeezy in your Wrangler, then 4 8's is a perfectly reasonable solution. When you need to FEEL dinosaur steps and the cloverfield monster throwing the head from the statue of liberty, the 8s simply cannot keep up. It's down to the mechanics of what it takes to produce that much output at that low of frequency, and if your Fs is too high, all that's going to happen down low is that you'll either end up bottoming out OR you'll just get garbled noise. A 15 or 18 with a sub 20hz Fs is made to produce large amounts of linear output down at those frequencies and when coupled with a large ported enclosure simply cannot be beaten.

WrenchGuy
05-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Consider 1 15" Sonosub.:D

Cheap to build and you get to contact the local concrete supply company.

PV Audio
05-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Consider 1 15" Sonosub.:D

Cheap to build and you get to contact the local concrete supply company.
:mad: I was just about to mention using sonotubes. Thanks, *******. :(

adio
05-24-2009, 07:02 PM
The titanic 15 is a far better driver. I own both, and in my HT enclosure for the titanic, it simply defies belief.

how big of a box is your titanic in?

mobeious
05-24-2009, 07:10 PM
i was considering the new mach Mj 18 or the IXL 15 i might just have to splurge a lile and get the exodus ... who knows i konw its going to be eighther and 15 or 18 though and more then likely going to go sono... ill have to talk to the wife of that ... lol dont know if she would want a big tube in the room

PV Audio
05-25-2009, 12:08 AM
how big of a box is your titanic in?
Large :)

I can't remember, it's a 27" cube with a baffle height port, tuned at 15hz aka the port takes up a good amount of room, but it's over 6 cubes still, I do remember that.

ciaonzo
05-25-2009, 06:22 PM
:mad: I was just about to mention using sonotubes. Thanks, *******. :(
I can see by this statement it's important for you to be right and to have the last word so after this I won't address you any further.

I just realized it's not the thread that's hilarious, it's you. :laugh: I laugh in your general direction telling me about "the mechanics of what it takes" considering most of my income is from building two channel home audio systems. I don't mean I buy things and set them up in someone's home. I mean I consult with individuals to find out what their goals are and I hand select drivers, design and build enclosures and filters. In addition, I specialize in building transmission line enclosures that enable one to use small drivers to go very deep while remaining very dynamic and musical. I can make a 5" driver play flat to 30hz easy. Making an 8" driver play into the teens with full power handling is not that difficult. Once you've built a few dozen highly specialized two channel music systems for very demanding customers, home theater is literally a joke. It's so easy in comparison.

There are 8" drivers out there with an Fs lower than 35, lol. I can and have used two 8" drivers and get performance very close to that of a single 15". Using four, I can guarantee better performance, in less than 6 cubes total I should add. The best part is, you can use those four 8s to compliment your musical system. That's something you just can't do with a Titanic 15". Try as you might, it will not "disappear" sonically. I've played with that driver too, I know.

It is for this reason I suggested the 15" in my earlier post, since it's out of his budget to get the caliber of 8" that could outperform a 15". By choosing the HF over the Titanic you'd give up a couple of dB worth of headroom or output (whichever you value more) to gain a far lower distortion figure and a lower inductance which will lend itself to being used for music the 25% of the time mobeious has stated.

Thanks for the laughs PV.

PV Audio
05-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I can see by this statement it's important for you to be right and to have the last word so after this I won't address you any further.

I just realized it's not the thread that's hilarious, it's you. :laugh: I laugh in your general direction telling me about "the mechanics of what it takes" considering most of my income is from building two channel home audio systems. I don't mean I buy things and set them up in someone's home. I mean I consult with individuals to find out what their goals are and I hand select drivers, design and build enclosures and filters. In addition, I specialize in building transmission line enclosures that enable one to use small drivers to go very deep while remaining very dynamic and musical. I can make a 5" driver play flat to 30hz easy. Making an 8" driver play into the teens with full power handling is not that difficult. Once you've built a few dozen highly specialized two channel music systems for very demanding customers, home theater is literally a joke. It's so easy in comparison.

There are 8" drivers out there with an Fs lower than 35, lol. I can and have used two 8" drivers and get performance very close to that of a single 15". Using four, I can guarantee better performance, in less than 6 cubes total I should add. The best part is, you can use those four 8s to compliment your musical system. That's something you just can't do with a Titanic 15". Try as you might, it will not "disappear" sonically. I've played with that driver too, I know.

It is for this reason I suggested the 15" in my earlier post, since it's out of his budget to get the caliber of 8" that could outperform a 15". By choosing the HF over the Titanic you'd give up a couple of dB worth of headroom or output (whichever you value more) to gain a far lower distortion figure and a lower inductance which will lend itself to being used for music the 25% of the time mobeious has stated.

Thanks for the laughs PV.
Oh **** guys, we're dealing with a "professional" here, watch out! He can build T-ine enclosures for small drivers, you know he's legit. :rolleyes::laugh:

Random1010
05-25-2009, 10:38 PM
I'd vouch for Cianzo's knowledge and experience any day PV.

PV Audio
05-25-2009, 10:38 PM
In case you need that simplified, let me put it to you simply: no one cares how much experience you have, how many speakers you have designed, how loud of an enclosure you can build, and how often you want to stroke your ego posting half pages of self-esteem banter on a message board to mostly high-school and college students. I'm glad I made you laugh because I frankly couldn't care less about you nor your accomplishments since you're some guy on the internet who felt it necessary to justify himself.

Scoobydoo
05-25-2009, 10:39 PM
single 15" because it will go lower than the smaller 8" subs, that is fact....

Random1010
05-25-2009, 10:39 PM
In case you need that simplified, let me put it to you simply: no one cares how much experience you have, how many speakers you have designed, how loud of an enclosure you can build, and how often you want to stroke your ego posting half pages of self-esteem banter on a message board to mostly high-school and college students. I'm glad I made you laugh because I frankly couldn't care less about you nor your accomplishments since you're some guy on the internet who felt it necessary to justify himself.

So if none of that matters, why is your opinion on the matter any more valid or correct than his?

PV Audio
05-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I'd vouch for Cianzo's knowledge and experience any day PV.I have neither gotten upset nor did I make this thread. If you take someone's post on the internet as a personal attack, especially when that attack was in no way intended to be personally offensive, how exactly do you expect me to take you seriously?

PV Audio
05-25-2009, 10:43 PM
So if none of that matters, why is your opinion on the matter any more valid or correct than his?
Please, terra, find me any post where I said mine is more valid or correct? Me disagreeing with someone then them getting offended isn't me saying I'm right. Actually you know what, don't even bother since I don't take this place seriously anymore and know I can't respond in a serious manner.

PV Audio
05-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Mobes, I apologize for somehow cluster****ing your thread without even trying to :laugh:

Random1010
05-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Please, terra, find me any post where I said mine is more valid or correct? Me disagreeing with someone then them getting offended isn't me saying I'm right. Actually you know what, don't even bother since I don't take this place seriously anymore and know I can't respond in a serious manner.

I'm not saying you said yours is valid. But you listed a whole bunch of reasons why his opinion isn't valid on the internet. All those reasons make your opinion equally invalid. As it does mine. I'm not saying you're offended or angry. Just stating my meaningless, invalid opinion too.

Back to helping this dude, there is an incredible custom built HT driver for sale on CACO.

PV Audio
05-25-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm not saying you said yours is valid. But you listed a whole bunch of reasons why his opinion isn't valid on the internet. All those reasons make your opinion equally invalid. As it does mine. I'm not saying you're offended or angry. Just stating my meaningless, invalid opinion too.

Back to helping this dude, there is an incredible custom built HT driver for sale on CACO.
What I stated is this: if you post your opinion, and someone disagrees with it, and then your first course of action is to list out 4000 words on how you're somehow better than everyone else, I can not take you seriously. Instead, if whoever that was disagreed and said "i think you're wrong, i've done x y and z and know this to be true", then fine, I have no problem with that. ****, I'd end up learning something. Instead, the guy managed to pull out of my 1 sentence post that it was necessary to prove to the people in here that he knows more than everyone and disagreeing isn't okay. Who ****ing cares?

mobeious
05-25-2009, 10:53 PM
:popcorn:

PV Audio
05-25-2009, 10:54 PM
:popcorn:
If nothing else, PV Audio is always good for some drama :D

its_bacon12
05-25-2009, 11:48 PM
PV, relax. It's the internet and you're merely doing the same thing he did.

For OP, I'd say 1 15" would be easier unless you know enough on HT to design/implement better usage of smaller drivers.

I have 1 12" sub for my HT, Shiva-X and it is really a low end monster in the box I have for it - 4.6 net to 16 hz.

And side note PV, I hope for comparison between the titanic and HF you weren't using the same exact box. You'd need one designed for each sub to get the optimum performance than dropping them in the same box and expecting to be able to do an objective comparison.

mobeious
05-28-2009, 06:36 PM
well after doing some measureing i think a ported 12 will suit just fine so its between a Exodus shiva X or ED E5 12

adio
05-28-2009, 10:15 PM
adio will not thread jack!!

mobeious
05-28-2009, 10:22 PM
gemme some feed back shiva x or ED E5 12

dumple
05-28-2009, 10:24 PM
2 rd classic tens.....

it just so happens i have them forsale

mobeious
05-28-2009, 10:53 PM
ehh ill pass lol

adio
05-29-2009, 03:08 AM
gemme some feed back shiva x or ED E5 12

see which one requires a smaller box.......

mobeious
05-29-2009, 08:12 AM
e5 smaller box at 3.6 cube shiva is 4.3

adio
05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
ok, now the tempest is cheaper but the ED requires a smaller box. now its a matter of price vs. size

mobeious
05-29-2009, 12:25 PM
well both are 12's the shiva is about $25 more then the e5 but the shiva should slightly outperform the e5

adio
05-29-2009, 11:58 PM
well both are 12's the shiva is about $25 more then the e5 but the shiva should slightly outperform the e5

based on what?? don't be a diccface like me and let 1 - 2db's sway you around n around. if u think its gonna rock u and your house/apt just because and not based on graphs, get what u want.