PDA

View Full Version : help with 5901 install

dirtysouth31
05-23-2009, 06:55 PM
i have the viper 5901 alarm/remote start..the alarm is installed perfectly but im having a issue with the starter..i installed a remote starter a couple years ago so when i bought the new 5901 i unistalled the first one and now i cant sem to get this one going..has anybody installed the 5901 or hell any new viper remote start on a 2001 jeep grand cherokee?kinda fuzzy on some of the wording on the viper system..any help would be appreciated

mendon99
05-23-2009, 08:33 PM
what exactly is the problem you're having?

basic stuff, you MUST plug in the switch with black wires and leave it on, and you must select auto tranny in the options, the default iirc is manual.

dirtysouth31
05-23-2009, 09:04 PM
did that stuff just need to check the wires from 5901 to starter wires on harness..5901 has a couple misleading wiring explanations that i just cant get a grasp on..if somebody already has installed one i need what color wire went to what..what its doing now is when you hit the remote start the dash lights come on and accesories but doesnt crank.just sits and retries a couple times and than says on my lcd that there is a remote starter error

mendon99
05-23-2009, 11:25 PM
you are using a bypass correct?

dirtysouth31
05-24-2009, 07:35 AM
yes.

mendon99
05-24-2009, 08:41 AM
ok are you sure the bypass is connected and programmed correctly?

from the alarm, reds go to power, pinks ignition, orange acc, purple start. If doing starter kill, the purple goes to the starter side, green to key side. Are you using virtual tach? or did you run tach or are you doing tachless?

THUNDERBIRD
05-25-2009, 09:39 PM
is the right pink wire hooked up? pink is ignition, pink/white is second ignition or second accessory and pink/black is not needed. recheck all the wiring make sure the starter wire is sending voltage out of the brain. i have seen starter outputs die on the relay pack.

thegreatestpenn
05-25-2009, 09:42 PM
just stopped by to look at OPs avatar even tho I know its photoshopped

dirtysouth31
05-25-2009, 10:14 PM
is the right pink wire hooked up? pink is ignition, pink/white is second ignition or second accessory and pink/black is not needed. recheck all the wiring make sure the starter wire is sending voltage out of the brain. i have seen starter outputs die on the relay pack.

yep the pink and black is not being used..no i didnt check for voltage..and i wasnt quite shure what the hell flex relay means on the 3 red wires..but when i hit the remote it turns on the lights on dash,the bell dings and accesories turn on but it doesnt crank..when it tries 3 times it says remote starter error and flashes 8 times..its saying that the neutral safety wire is the problem,,i cant ground it anymore than it allready is so m y next thought is the transponder bypass is at fault..work on the starter i had in before the swap..dei tech support told me to put key in ignition and try to remote start it and if it starts than its the bypass,,but it stillo dont do nothin..autotransmision has also bet setup through the valet switch,fasctory is manual

dirtysouth31
05-25-2009, 10:19 PM
just stopped by to look at OPs avatar even tho I know its photoshopped

still looks nice:inlove:

mendon99
05-25-2009, 11:44 PM
OK so when you RS the key on the dashboard does NOT flash, correct? if correct, you're right its not the bypass.

use a DMM or test light and make certain the starter output from the brain is putting out 12v when it needs to.

Mike465
05-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Do you have the tack wire installed or are you tying to use voltage sence? If you are going to be using voltage sence you will have to program the unit. If you have the tack wire hooked up are are planing on using it you will have to program the tack signal. Also is the starter engaging at all and it just will not turn over or is the start not engaging?

dirtysouth31
05-26-2009, 07:12 AM
trying to use tachless.tried to program by starting the vehicle and within 5 seconds press and hold the valet button and its supposed to stay solid within a few seconds but its not doing it..just had a brain fart and think that may be the problem..will check later and see if that works

mendon99
05-26-2009, 09:04 AM
if you're using tachless, theres no reason to try and learn the tach. just set it for 1 second, or whatever you feel is best.

Mike465
05-26-2009, 10:13 AM
trying to use tachless.tried to program by starting the vehicle and within 5 seconds press and hold the valet button and its supposed to stay solid within a few seconds but its not doing it..just had a brain fart and think that may be the problem..will check later and see if that works

You don't start the car. Turn the key to ignition and then turn it off. Hold down the valet switch for a few seconds and you will hear the horn or alarm chirp. (if you need to access menu two keep holding the switch until it chirps twice) Once you are in the menu you want release the valet switch. Next, find the feature you are wanting to change (let's say option 6) you will press and release the valet switch 6 times and then hold it (one-release.......three-release.........six-release-hold(right after you release it on the sixth time you will push it again and hold it)) The alarm will chirp the amount of times to correspond to the menu you are in. Continue to hold the valet switch and using the key remote press the button that corresponds to the function you are trying to change. The alarm will chirp again to confirm your setting. Release the valet switch, put the key in the igniting an turn the key to ignition. The alarm will sound and just turn the car off and you are good to go.

mendon99
05-26-2009, 10:44 AM
i think he means he's trying to program the tach, not get into programming menus..

and if this is the case I think he's confused what tach/tachless actually means. that or typo

Mike465
05-26-2009, 10:58 AM
i think he means he's trying to program the tach, not get into programming menus..

and if this is the case I think he's confused what tach/tachless actually means. that or typo

I think he said that he was trying to use voltage sence and I believe that he is having problems accessing the program menu to change it to voltage sence. :D

mendon99
05-26-2009, 11:04 AM
trying to use tachless.

tried to program by starting the vehicle and within 5 seconds press and hold the valet button and its supposed to stay solid within a few seconds

this is the programming technique for learning tach if you were to run one from the vehicle. IF you are doing voltage sense you do not need to do this, you just need to set the crank time

dirtysouth31
05-26-2009, 07:39 PM
ok disregard any past statements from me..im on meds:)everything is set according to the manual and im getting 12 volts out of starter wire from brain..still no start..just lights on dash and the ring and than it just sits there and than lights go off and a few seconds later it tries again.after 3 tries it shuts off and it says on lcd"remote start error"and flashes 8 times which is neutral safty switch..for the hundredth time its grounded.:smash:is the next step

mendon99
05-26-2009, 07:57 PM
ok but what about tach??? the manual will even tell you that you need to choose 1 of the 3. which option are you using?

dirtysouth31
05-26-2009, 08:39 PM
i tried all 3 and nothing worked.but on a side note just out of curiosity i started the truck with the key and hit the start button and turned off the ignition and removed the key and the **** thing stayed running and then i hit the brake and it shut-down..weird thing is while it was running with the key out the airbag light and another light stayed on but when i tried it with the key they didnt stay on

mendon99
05-26-2009, 08:57 PM
yes that indicates that there is something wrong with the starter portion of the starter..

and the fact that you had an airbag light on during RS takeover only indicates that you may have an ignition missing, or acc missing or backwards or something.

The car will not RS without running one of the 3 options for tach. you need to go at least set it to Virtual Tach and leave it. This is the easiest one to program, just go and turn it on in the menu's (refer to owners man).

Ferendon
05-26-2009, 09:04 PM
When you remote start the car, you're gonna have those lights on, at least until you turn the key on. There's a third ACC wire that shuts them down, but it's not needed for remote start.

Make sure the switch is in the right position. If it says it's the neutral safety switch causing the shut down, I'd be inclined to believe it. It's a DEI product... They're usually pretty spot on with the self-diags.

THUNDERBIRD
05-27-2009, 09:17 PM
is second accessory hooked up? what bypass are you using also? try to reground the nuetral saftey wire. you have to ground the neutral safety off of the brain and also plug in the switch. is the right starter wire off of the brain hooked up? green needs to be hooked up if your not doing the starter kill. then purple key side and green starter side if you are doing the starter kill. those could be backwards.

mendon99
05-27-2009, 11:05 PM
green needs to be hooked up if your not doing
the starter kill.

what? do you mean if he IS doing starter kill?

then purple key side and green starter side if you are doing the starter kill. those could be backwards.

are you ok? I know you know your shyt, but you got it backwards, dude!! :crazy:

purple starter side, green key side, always when doing starter kill.

THUNDERBIRD
05-28-2009, 09:26 PM
well thats what i ment i had the colors wrong but at any rate is the cause of the issue your having?
i think its been like 2 months since i have done a rs install. mine doesnt count because i cut and tied onto existing wires.

mendon99
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
haha, sok it happens to us all.

dirtysouth31
05-31-2009, 12:22 PM
ive set everything as it shows in manual..i also was doing a tie in from rs that was already installed...switched acc wires and now airbag light doesnt come on when i have jeep running and hit remote start and remove key...question i ordered a new bypass from dei 555c.but could this be the problem,the original bypass if the rs will take over when vehicle is running..seems to me the bypass is working cause it would of shut off the motor once i removed the key..on a side note i finally got a mini peizo siren to install in cabin(one that works this time)man its annoying..lol.........so could it be another wire off the brain that possibly could not be hooked up??also regrounded neutral saftey wire to another ground,and nothing

THUNDERBIRD
05-31-2009, 09:50 PM
it could just be a bad unit. i would try to find a GOOD shop in the area and take it to them to diagnois and they can call into dei and talk to tech support.

dirtysouth31
06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
it swas the purple wire was not sending out 12 volts after 2 seconds remote start activation..the relay was shot..i have the company who i got it from sending me a new brain and if it works than i will send them the defective one back..thanks for all the help

dirtysouth31
06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
update:::installed new brain and paired the remotes,same thing happened so now i know it is something i have wrong.ive said before it was just one wire and that is what it was..there is a 3rd fused wire thats red/black stripe that says fused ignotion,accesory flex relay...that wire was not hooked up..it has to be tied into 12v+..when it sees power it transfers power to the rest of the starter functions..payed a shop a well worth 35 dollars to figure it out for me,took the guy all of 2 minutes..i even gave the tech some cash to have lunch on me..

cliffs-hook up the **** 3rd fused wire:)

mendon99
06-15-2009, 01:13 PM
jesus. you need to read the manual dude!!

Proximity
06-15-2009, 02:46 PM
How is your ground? Try connecting it directly to the negative terminal on your battery and see what happens.

Edit: oh wait, you solved it. reading > me. Yeah, all the red wires need to be connected. That's a no brainer