PDA

View Full Version : PG RSD tweeters

Theride
05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I think I may have to replace them. not blown or anything but its definitely not clear. and its hard to tune.

Am I the only one on this?

redcalimp5
05-22-2009, 02:00 PM
A lotta people were having issues with these tweets crapping out on them over the past year or so. I'd definitely say move on to something else.

I've got some nice Rainbow CAL25 titan tweeters for sale, check the Classifieds if you're interested. :) They'll blow the PG RSD tweets out of the water.

4OZGLOVES
05-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Mine blew in 2 days with 65 unclipped watts. They also were so bright and sharp sounding i'm glad they blew sounded like crap anyway.I replaced mine with some diamond/eton ones from back when they were still german I could not be happier now.

wu501
05-22-2009, 02:12 PM
the tweets are the weak point for sure. I would just go with a different tweeter if I were you.

tez4life
05-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Mine are doing fine, however, def not the best sounding tweeter as you could imagine. But for a low budget their fine.

Im tempted to do a direct swap with my VC 100s, which I know sound so much better.

mlstrass
05-22-2009, 02:22 PM
CAL 25's would be nice upgrade. Otherwise the Sea's Neo's are also very solid for the $$$ and not bright sounding.

James Bang
05-22-2009, 03:11 PM
seems like you're buying the mids and they're throwing the crappy tweets for free.

Theride
05-22-2009, 07:40 PM
the cal25 is from where focal?

James Bang
05-22-2009, 08:41 PM
the cal25 is from where focal?

rainbow.

Theride
05-22-2009, 11:06 PM
i had some slc but didnt like the tweeter. how would fical access or polyglass tweeter sound with the pg crossover?

quest51210
05-24-2009, 05:28 AM
mine just started to crap out after almost 1.5 years off of 150rms. if yours crapped out much earlier,on less power, it may be installer error.

Theride
05-24-2009, 11:40 AM
mine just started to crap out after almost 1.5 years off of 150rms. if yours crapped out much earlier,on less power, it may be installer error.

no it hasnt crapped out just isnt clean.

quest51210
05-28-2009, 03:20 PM
definitely installer error

Theride
05-28-2009, 03:58 PM
definitely installer error

on what? the tweets not being clean sounding?

smgreen20
05-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Distortion or a "dirty" signal is the biggest killer to a speaker. <that's a fact.

I'm not saying that your install has anything to do w/it, just pointing out a justified fact.

timaishu
05-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Distortion or a "dirty" signal is the biggest killer to a speaker. <that's a fact.

I'm not saying that your install has anything to do w/it, just pointing out a justified fact.

No it isnt. A speaker doesnt care what the signal is.

As long as it doesnt reach its mechanical or thermal limits, the speaker will be fine.

James Bang
05-29-2009, 08:47 PM
in-line carbon filter will clean out that signal.

http://www.stilldrinkin.com/ebay_PIC/Turbo-Formenter-Modle.jpg

smgreen20
05-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Yes it does care. If the signal is dirty, AKA Clipped, then it "thermals" the VC causing death. Distortion is 99% of the time in the form of a clipped signal. There for a dirty signal can destroy a speaker.

I'm going to assume that what you mean is that the signal could be distorted, but not clipped and the speaker would be fine, in that case you are correct.

A definition of "dirty" needs to be defined. My definition of dirty would be a clipped signal. So dirty and clipped to me mean the same.

timaishu
05-30-2009, 02:19 AM
Yes it does care. If the signal is dirty, AKA Clipped, then it "thermals" the VC causing death. Distortion is 99&#37; of the time in the form of a clipped signal. There for a dirty signal can destroy a speaker.

I'm going to assume that what you mean is that the signal could be distorted, but not clipped and the speaker would be fine, in that case you are correct.

A definition of "dirty" needs to be defined. My definition of dirty would be a clipped signal. So dirty and clipped to me mean the same.

No it doesnt.. A speaker does not care. I could feed a speaker a clipped or distorted signal 24/7. It doesnt matter what the shape of the sine wave is.

There are only two ways to kill a speaker. To over power it (thermally) causing the speaker to burn out. Or mechanically, when the speaker movement goes beyond its limits.

A speaker is merely a transducer, takes electrical energy and turns it into sound energy. It doesnt care what the signal looks like, yes the music may start sounding like **** when it distorts or clips, but that isnt what kills the speaker. I could feed a speaker a distorted or clipped signal 24/7 and it will be perfectly fine.

Now, clipping an amp an amp can cause a speaker to fail. However, it isnt the clipping that kills it, its the increased amount of power delivered to the speaker.

smgreen20
05-30-2009, 09:03 PM
A clipped signal will kill a speaker over time. It wont instantly, but in time yes. When a signal is clipped it removes the curve of the wave on the top and bottom, hence the name clipped, and when it does so a tramendouse amount of heat is generated resulting in a burnt VC.

I **** at explaining things and have been to a few class' on the subject along w/16 years in the field. If I don't know anything then I wont post.

Bottom line is a clipped signal/distortion is the number one cause of speaker failure, yes due to overpowering. Call up any manufacturer of speakers and ask.

I can see this is going to be a waste of type so I'm done w/this thread.

timaishu
05-30-2009, 09:30 PM
A clipped signal will kill a speaker over time. It wont instantly, but in time yes. When a signal is clipped it removes the curve of the wave on the top and bottom, hence the name clipped, and when it does so a tramendouse amount of heat is generated resulting in a burnt VC.

I **** at explaining things and have been to a few class' on the subject along w/16 years in the field. If I don't know anything then I wont post.

Bottom line is a clipped signal/distortion is the number one cause of speaker failure, yes due to overpowering. Call up any manufacturer of speakers and ask.

I can see this is going to be a waste of type so I'm done w/this thread.

I am not the best at explaining things either.

Yes, an amp that is clipping can burn out a speaker. But it is not the clipped signal that burns it out, it the increased amount of power.

Play a clipped signal at low power through a speaker and it will most definitely survive.

stocker08
05-30-2009, 10:28 PM
The clipped sign means that part of the frequencies are being released as excess heat. It is this excess heat that can ruin a speaker.

Symon_say
06-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Cause i don't want to open a new one if this already exist.

A girl just put my system at volumens over my setting, and one of my tweets is making weird noise, so i want to replace the tweets, i'll be getting some new comps in a few months but i don't want to heard that noisy sound, keep in mind the price of this comps, they are just $60 right now so a $50 tweet is a NO for me, cause i can get a new set for that price.

PaulD
06-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I thought we were past the distortion destroys speakers thing ... guess old rumors never die