PDA

View Full Version : coaxils vs componets

mecaspl151
05-22-2009, 01:04 AM
like the titel says what is best this is for big build im doing with 2 18" subs what would be loudest and the best way to go,,,,, 4 good 6.5 coaxels or 2 good componet sets ?
please help me as i wont to get started this weekend

SWFL
05-22-2009, 01:10 AM
2 comp sets

mecaspl151
05-22-2009, 01:12 AM
thanks for the fast responce anyone else?

JimJ
05-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Horns.

mecaspl151
05-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Horns.

lol no thinks

ciaonzo
05-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Horns.

This is the correct answer. Mate them with a very sensitive 8" or 10" and enjoy.

mcsoul
05-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Stop being cheap and get 4 comp sets.

bass_lover1
05-22-2009, 03:33 PM
This is the correct answer. Mate them with a very sensitive 8" or 10" and enjoy.

8s or 10s? Too much work, for little gain. A set of Pro Audio 6.5s would work just fine. Most can play down to 80hz no issues, which is fine to mate with subs, and can play high enough to mate up with horns. Plus, they are ridiculously efficient.

mecaspl151
05-23-2009, 02:30 AM
sounds good

BeAlLsTaR13
05-23-2009, 09:55 PM
i would go with at least one component set for up front, possibly two.. or three if you wanna go big ;o

DUMPED
05-23-2009, 10:00 PM
why not do 4 component sets ?
why is it either 4 coaxs or 2 comp sets ?

why not make it 4 component sets ?

mecaspl151
05-24-2009, 01:11 AM
i might do 2 componet sets thinks for everyones in put

ciaonzo
05-25-2009, 08:06 PM
8s or 10s? Too much work, for little gain. A set of Pro Audio 6.5s would work just fine. Most can play down to 80hz no issues, which is fine to mate with subs, and can play high enough to mate up with horns. Plus, they are ridiculously efficient.

Trust me, if you've ever had a 10" driver up front (and I have) and you had the choice to go back to the 6.5" you wouldn't do it. The dynamics are much better and they play very low with relative ease. It's well worth the work to put the largest driver you can possibly fit up front if only for the purpose of lowering the crossover point to the sub, let alone trying to match the efficiency and dynamic abilities of a set of horns.

kappout
05-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Comps. Dont F around.

bass_lover1
05-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Trust me, if you've ever had a 10" driver up front (and I have) and you had the choice to go back to the 6.5" you wouldn't do it. The dynamics are much better and they play very low with relative ease. It's well worth the work to put the largest driver you can possibly fit up front if only for the purpose of lowering the crossover point to the sub, let alone trying to match the efficiency and dynamic abilities of a set of horns.

I understand why people cram 8s or 10s up front, but if he's going to run horns I think it's a waste. Also, not everyone needs midbass to play down below 80hz, hell half the time my Vifa XT18s are running 100hz high pass @12dbs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, is all the work that is going to be needed to squeeze an 8 or 10" driver in there, really necessary for the extra 10-20hz lower frequency extension, than a quality 7" mid? If you're using halfway decent subwoofers, then they should be able to play up to 80hz without falling on their face and you can utilitze a cheaper, yet quality speaker like the B&C 6NDL38

ciaonzo
05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I understand why people cram 8s or 10s up front, but if he's going to run horns I think it's a waste. Also, not everyone needs midbass to play down below 80hz, hell half the time my Vifa XT18s are running 100hz high pass @12dbs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, is all the work that is going to be needed to squeeze an 8 or 10" driver in there, really necessary for the extra 10-20hz lower frequency extension, than a quality 7" mid? If you're using halfway decent subwoofers, then they should be able to play up to 80hz without falling on their face and you can utilitze a cheaper, yet quality speaker like the B&C 6NDL38

I do see your point, I m not trying to outright disagree with you. I think what you're saying does represent the majority on the topic. I'm only speaking for myself and I what I would do since the horn thing was mentioned. :)

I'm of the opinion that any horn set that has been offered with a 6.5" as an option is a shoe-in or a stepping stone of sorts to bring in the beginners. That's exactly where I started also with a set of USD/Speakerworks. It wasn't until I moved up to an 8" and then a 10" that I realized what was missing from my fronstage. Not so much with the 8", although there was a very noticeable difference authority without changing the crossover point. But it was leaps and bounds going to the 10". I used the old Vifa premium line 10" with an Fs well down into the 20's. I didn't choose that driver with high sensitivity being the first criteria, I chose it because I wanted the option of turning the sub off whenever I felt like it. The driver had well over an inch and a half of very usable excursion and could be used for full bass duties when asked to do so.

By now you may have guessed that I'm not a fan of running the subwoofer very high in frequency. I still choose drivers with low inductance for their wide bandwidth to aid in good behavior in the crossover region but when it comes to a SQ setup, I'm part of a minority that refuses to cross any higher than around 40hz to 60hz for the transition to the midbass driver as there are still fundamentals of the human voice in the area of 80hz and I think it's a mistake to let a subwoofer get a hold of them. It's a choice I make and I generally live with the sacrifice of displacement limited output to achieve low frequency performance concerning the midbass which also results in higher distortion when compared to high sensitivity drivers being used in conjunction with higher crossover points when the system is asked to play very loud.

You're absolutely right, it's not always possible or wise to try to put a large driver up front but if you can you should. The sonic benefits are well worth the trouble.(IMHO) :D

ciaonzo
06-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Ttt