PDA

View Full Version : Active with Peerless Exclusive and HDS

Flipx99
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I am considering an active setup with the Peerless Exclusive 7" matched up with the HDS tweeter. I would cross the midbass over @ 63 / 2.5k and the tweeter play roughly 3k and up.

Power would be from a PDX-5.

The only other midbass I really like is the Scan Rev matched to the D3004....but that's an $800 setup.

Thoughts?

James Bang
05-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Great combo, but you might lack some midbass kick. I personally have the same combo, but with added dedicated midbass.

I have the HDS tweets down to 2.5khz and the exclusive 7"s up to 2khz.

The bigger the midrange, the lower you want to cross them on the top end.

Flipx99
05-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Great combo, but you might lack some midbass kick. I personally have the same combo, but with added dedicated midbass.

The bigger the midrange, the lower you want to cross them on the top end.

I don't really have the skills to go 3-way...so I am a bit mixed on what I should do in a 2-way. Nearly everyone on DIYMA is 3way frontstage now, so I am left behind a bit.

Is there a speaker that plays both ends of that spectrum (63 Hz and 2.5k Hz) sufficiently well that I may have missed? I was thinking the Scan 18W, but boy is that pricey.

Also, do you think the PDX can sufficiently power that setup? Most of them are between 75 - 105 wpc.

stuckinok
05-21-2009, 04:18 PM

The bigger the midrange, the lower you want to cross them on the top end. I agree James and I have my HDS crossed at 3k and the mids at 2.5k I wish I could cross them lower but I have the tweets off axis and low so having them crossed at 2.5 just didnt sound right to me and a few others at the DIYMA meet.

I don't really have the skills to go 3-way...so I am a bit mixed on what I should do in a 2-way. Nearly everyone on DIYMA is 3way frontstage now, so I am left behind a bit.

Is there a speaker that plays both ends of that spectrum (63 Hz and 2.5k Hz) sufficiently well that I may have missed? I was thinking the Scan 18W, but boy is that pricey.

Also, do you think the PDX can sufficiently power that setup? Most of them are between 75 - 105 wpc.
I replied to your PM flip The PDX will be fine but I would bridge the 4ch on the PDX for the mids and get a small 2ch for the tweets.

James Bang
05-21-2009, 04:19 PM
i've been thinking about a two way setup with a 3" full range matched with at nice midbass driver.

Fountek 3" (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8585) w/ the SLS 6.5".. but i'd need another car to put them in.

stuckinok
05-21-2009, 04:25 PM
i've been thinking about a two way setup with a 3" full range matched with at nice midbass driver.

Fountek 3" (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8585) w/ the SLS 6.5".. but i'd need another car to put them in.

Sounds interesting...............

mSaLL150
05-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Maybe the Seas RNX series? They are about the same price as the Peerless exclusives but have almost double the peak-to-peak excursion...should get some nice midbass out of them. Midrange detail might not live up to the Peerless though.

I'm considering these mids as well to potentially replace my current ones.

Here is a good review of some popular choices:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/9237-subjective-comparison-popular-7-drivers.html

Flipx99
05-21-2009, 04:58 PM
I guess this seeming tradeoff between midbass and midrange is why so many people go 3way.

I suppose what I could do is have little give up on 20 - 40 Hz, and have a dedicated 8 or 10 playing from 40 - 120 (or so) and using a smaller mid so that I can have the midrange detail.

I'd rather not use any amplification other than the pdx-5. This is designed to be a simple setup.

Flipx99
05-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Maybe the Seas RNX series? They are about the same price as the Peerless exclusives but have almost double the peak-to-peak excursion...should get some nice midbass out of them. Midrange detail might not live up to the Peerless though.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/9237-subjective-comparison-popular-7-drivers.html

That review always pushes me towards the Seas/Scan option. However, power (or lack thereof) becomes a concern at that point.

I do like Scan's options with the tweeters though...

KyngHype
05-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the link good sir.

FoxPro5
05-22-2009, 03:35 PM
All this talk about drivers and money but no talk about install location, enclosure types, processing power, etc. :(

How can you pre-select your crossover pts without hearing the drivers in your whip??

Flipx99
05-22-2009, 03:38 PM
All this talk about drivers and money but no talk about install location, enclosure types, processing power, etc. :(

How can you pre-select your crossover pts without hearing the drivers in your whip??

I can't really... :) Those are just guesses based on my last setup.

Processing : HU -- PRS880
Install location: Mids --> In the door, but high. I drive a Ranger, so the stock location is not in the bottom of the door, but the middle of the door. Tweeters --> In the a-pillar angled toward the opposite seat.