PDA

View Full Version : Building Enclosure for under backseat of F150

Nut Hair Trick
05-21-2009, 01:49 AM
2007 F150 Supercrew= limited space for enclosure

This is my first enclosure build and after measuring off all of the dimensions available for this box, I am now ready to start the building process. I have a question on whether to port or not. I am going to put (2) JL 10w1v2 subs in an enclosure that will be 1.329 cuft total. On the spec sheet, it says the sub calls for 0.625 cu. ft per sub SEALED and 1.00 cu. ft. VENTED. Right now I have one of those 10's in a vented Probox at .67 cubic feet, the vent is 4x3in 10 5/8 long. It sounds great running off 350w. The box I'm building now is double that size so I dont see any reason why I shouldnt be able to vent. So, my questions are this....

A) Should I Port? and what kind (circle or square)? How big of a port and length? Finally where should the port be?

B)Should I seperate the chambers?

The box will measure out 51in across. It will be 19inches deep, 7 7/8 in height from floor to seat and 5 1/8 in for the middle height at the center hump to the seat. the box will narrow to a height of 2 inches in the back of the cab. so
51 x 19 x 7 7/8(5 1/8) x 2

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

schrummy
05-21-2009, 01:54 AM
if you want a port get rid of one of the subs.... otherwise i say just leave it sealed.

Nut Hair Trick
05-22-2009, 01:47 AM
OK, if I find a way to build an even bigger enclosure, say 1.708 cuft (figured up from the RE Audio site) and use an L port, can these (2) 10's share the same airspace, or do they need to be in seperate chambers?

DNick454
05-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Optimally, you'd want around 1 cubic foot PER sub NET, not including the volume the port takes up. So you're looking at needing around 2.5 to 2.8 cubes gross (overall) to be able to do something ported that will be worthwhile and sound good. Otherwise, I'd just build the biggest sealed box you can fit in there and call it a day. You'd get better results out of a medium sized sealed box than you would an overly small ported one.

Nut Hair Trick
05-22-2009, 02:03 AM
Also, as I stated above, the enclosure will be going under my rear seat in my supercrew. Subs will be facing up, could the port face the front of the truck, or does it matter? On the RE calculator it shows the box with the port firing into the back of the cab wall with the port being on a part of the box, angled at 45 degrees. kind of like this :::::::\ --> ( please excuse the drawing if that adds more confusion)
Which is more suitable?

Nut Hair Trick
05-22-2009, 02:05 AM
Optimally, you'd want around 1 cubic foot PER sub NET, not including the volume the port takes up. So you're looking at needing around 2.5 to 2.8 cubes gross (overall) to be able to do something ported that will be worthwhile and sound good. Otherwise, I'd just build the biggest sealed box you can fit in there and call it a day. You'd get better results out of a medium sized sealed box than you would an overly small ported one.
Yeah, I'm afraid that's what I'm going to have to do. But I was really wanting a little bit lower bass than what I have now. If nothing else this build will be a learning experience. Thanks for the help.

bigbluthng
05-23-2009, 11:53 AM
there's defiitely not enough space under the seat. the most volume you could get without a seat lift is about 1.3 gross. so figure that's probably enough for one sub ported or two sealed. i'm building a box for two e8s ported. they require .6 each and the box i build is 1.3 so it will be a little undersized. i'm gonna get the ports today and i still need an amp before i can hear how it sounds. if it doesn't sound right i''ll just make a sealed box for them. i still don't have pics but i will soon. work and home life is brutal right now! anyhow post pics of what you build!

DNick454
05-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid that's what I'm going to have to do. But I was really wanting a little bit lower bass than what I have now. If nothing else this build will be a learning experience. Thanks for the help.

Trust me, in the right sealed enclosure, you'll get that low bass. You said you were using a pre-fab ported enclosure, there's your problem right there. Those prefab boxes almost never sound all that well. And as far as low bass goes, you'll get the low bass in a sealed box that is the correct size 20 times better than you would a ported box that you're force to tune high on because you don't have enough volume available. To get the low end bass, you need a low tuning, and trying to get a low tuning out of a small box involves an extremely long port, and that just adds more space you don't have. Just build a nice sealed box, and stuff it 50% full of polyfil, you'll hit those lows, mids and even highs with more precision and response than that ported pre-fab ever would. Good luck with the build :cool:

Nut Hair Trick
05-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I am definitely going sealed. I forgot about polyfil and I really am feeling better about this. I will post progress and finished pics when I'm done.

Nut Hair Trick
05-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Oh yeah, about the polyfil. Do I just throw it in there and make it half full? Do I glue it to the walls? Does it just float around in the box loose?