PDA

View Full Version : help with slot port conversions

bottomfeeder
05-20-2009, 12:26 AM
I have a alumapro bp-12 that I am trying to convert to a shallow box , problem is converting the port correctly to a slot , the alumapro cabinet has 2x4.5x13" long HEAVILY flared at ALL ends ports , the cabinet is 13x19" wide on the face , I would prefer to put the slot on the 13" end (if I needed the port volume I guess the 19" edge would be fine) .
Any help would be great I cant wait to hear that 12" again !!!
PS : the cabinet is built to factory size (2 cubic) I built it with a removable top so I can section it for the bandpass, I plan to attach the slot on the removable face .

DNick454
05-20-2009, 12:31 AM
I pretty much tell this to everyone trying to modify an existing box... just build a new one. Chopping up an old box and trying to change a bunch of dimensions is complicated and will 99% of the time result in the tuning and volume being far from ideal for your driver. Just build something to spec. If you honestly believe you can successfully tear apart a box and rebuild it better, then you'd obviously be able to build a box, so build the correct one. For less than 30 bucks you can get a nice huge sheet of MDF and they will even cut the pieces for you if you ask. Then just re-measure and put it together. It'll turn out looking much nicer, sound better, and be 100 times less of a headache.

Supergumby5000
05-20-2009, 12:31 AM
woot for campbell, CA. My girlfriends fam lives there.

as for what you are trying to do, it may just be easier and more reliable/accurate to build another box...

bottomfeeder
05-22-2009, 02:44 AM
I pretty much tell this to everyone trying to modify an existing box... just build a new one. Chopping up an old box and trying to change a bunch of dimensions is complicated and will 99% of the time result in the tuning and volume being far from ideal for your driver. Just build something to spec. If you honestly believe you can successfully tear apart a box and rebuild it better, then you'd obviously be able to build a box, so build the correct one. For less than 30 bucks you can get a nice huge sheet of MDF and they will even cut the pieces for you if you ask. Then just re-measure and put it together. It'll turn out looking much nicer, sound better, and be 100 times less of a headache.

I allready built a box .
It just does not have the bp-12 in it .
The box goes aloung the floor behind the front seats ( I have a extracab) it has fold down rear seats .
The box is about 12" tall , the amps are on one end , on the other end it a 2 cubic box w/a removable top , my plan is to split up that 2 cubic area, and build a slot port attached to the top ,
SO if you unscrew the top you will see the bp12 driver inside about 4" lower .
But my problem is trying to figure out slot ports ..

DNick454
05-22-2009, 02:53 AM
I'm really confused by your description of the different box volumes, any chance of some pics?