PDA

View Full Version : box direction

borajake
09-26-2003, 11:05 PM
building a flush box to my rear seat in the trunk of my jetta.. its gonna house 2 10" alpine type R's. Just wondering which direction I should fire the subs? Into the trunk? Or into the cabin through the rear seat?

Thanks.

Trixter
10-04-2003, 03:01 PM
I'd say play around with it and see which way sounds the best. It's different from car to car. Even my '02 Cavalier like the box placed differently than my '95 Cavalier did...same body style...go figure.

dbhittin
10-04-2003, 03:13 PM
to my ears, facing it everyway possible sounds the same

Infinity1230w
10-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Faceing the subs in to the trunk will give it a few more db and you will feelit more and not hear the distotion or bed sound from the sub. but every time a sound wave bounces off of something it ganes a few db

Trixter
10-26-2003, 07:19 AM
but every time a sound wave bounces off of something it ganes a few db

If this was true, then a sub that has objects in it's path would be louder than a sub with nothing in front of it?

The reason that you generally gain more dB and better bass response from rear facing subs is because it eleminates sound waves from bouncing off the back of the trunk and interferring with the ones that go foward from a front facing sub. If a sub faces foward you have most of the waves going foward. Some go back in to the trunk. By the time these waves go into the trunk, bounce off the back of it, and go foward to meet up with the ones that went to the front originally, they are out of phase causing cancellation. By reversing the box direction you help eleminate this; they all bounce off the back and go foward. A good way to see if a front facing box would sound better facing back is to open the trunk and see if it sounds better. This lets those reverse waves escape the trunk totally. However, you have some people, like me, that don't show any difference in rear facing or front facing.

ice00
10-29-2003, 04:14 PM
i think if the box is facing the seat you would feel it more considering its pointed right at you...
couple of my friends like theirs facing the trunk...
couple of my friends like theirs facing the seat...
like trixter said....just play around with it...