PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE QUESTION. I'm totally lost.

BombSquad99
05-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I made this center console out of fiberglass. I'm mounting a TV and a couple other things on it. I want to wrap it with this fake suede. I really have no clue how to go about it. Ima use spray glue and a heat gun. But that's all I know. I don't know how to contour the suede to the console. How do I use a single piece of the material to cover the front, top, and sides??? It would be great if someone would direct me to a video tutorial. Any input would be much appreciated.

traksta15
05-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Heat gun, 3m adhesive, and a lot of patience. How stretchable is the suede? It's gotta be pretty flexable

snakeye
05-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I would add in a hot glue gun to that list. judging by those pics i would try starting at the top and just heat and stretch with all your might

BombSquad99
05-19-2009, 04:54 PM
It's pretty stretchy. I'm befuddled by what to do at a corner. Like this:

DNick454
05-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah, with the shape of that console, you're going to have to have seams. No way to make that with just one piece. Probably two pieces of the sides and one piece that goes from front, over the top, all the way to the back, and just try and match it as best as possible. If you're good, you could possibly add some color matched or contrasting piping to make the seams look nice and professional.

BombSquad99
05-19-2009, 05:53 PM
That's what I was afraid of. Am I correct in thinking that the seams are going to be where the red lines are on the console?

P.S. Thanks for the response bro. I've posted these pics and this question all over the place and everyone said the same thing "heat gun and stretch".

BassMechkanic
05-20-2009, 01:08 AM
it would look better with some stitches, have it done in a french seam, it will give it detail

DNick454
05-20-2009, 01:11 AM
That's what I was afraid of. Am I correct in thinking that the seams are going to be where the red lines are on the console?

P.S. Thanks for the response bro. I've posted these pics and this question all over the place and everyone said the same thing "heat gun and stretch".

Yep, more than likely. There are several methods you could do to fancy it up a bit however, like I said earlier, maybe doing piping, or two tone, and make it look like there are seams there on purpose :laugh:

Anniku989
05-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Take it to a leather/boot repair place and see if they can stitch it up nice for ya, shouldn't cost too much, and it'll give it a nice(r) look

DNick454
05-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Yeah, have them put a double stitch on it so it looks like factory leather seats. Just make sure they put some sort of padding underneath so that the seams don't stick up from the console and so the little bumps and imperfections in the fiberglass don't show through.

Good idea though Anniku

BombSquad99
05-21-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm gonna cut out three pieces. 2 sides and a top. I'm gonna leave about an inch overlap to wrap around the bottom. How much overlap should I leave where the top piece connects to the sides? So the seamstress can have material to do the stitching. I'm pretty terrified to cut the material but hey, i'll never know until I try. This is my second foray into fabrication and my first time using fiberglass. I appreciate all your suggestions.

This is a pic of the first console I made:

mmouse57
05-21-2009, 04:38 PM
go get a good sewing machine do that right and having seems isnt bad at all ill take nice sewing lines over wrinkles anyday

BombSquad99
05-21-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm DEFINITELY not going to sew it myself. I have a very good seamstress that I use. And she's used to doing special projects for me.

nineball
05-21-2009, 11:14 PM
i would just give her the entire piece of suede and let her cut and stick it then. no sense in possibly wasting the material by cutting it to the wrong sizes.

DNick454
05-21-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm gonna cut out three pieces. 2 sides and a top. I'm gonna leave about an inch overlap to wrap around the bottom. How much overlap should I leave where the top piece connects to the sides? So the seamstress can have material to do the stitching. I'm pretty terrified to cut the material but hey, i'll never know until I try. This is my second foray into fabrication and my first time using fiberglass. I appreciate all your suggestions.

This is a pic of the first console I made:

That looks really really nice. What kind of car is that for. That shifter and console looks familiar, I can't put my finger on it though.

BombSquad99
05-22-2009, 02:40 AM
It's a '94 BMW 3 series. I used Mighty Putty and Crinkle paint. I caught a lot of ***** for it on the bimmer forums. They're all about OEM looking. I liked it. It totally cracked when i was putting it in cause Mighty Putty *****. **** Billy Mays. This one is gonna look a lot better. Thanks for the compliment by the way.

P.S. What's everyone's opinion of Image Dynamics IDMax 12's. I have 2 in a slot ported and I was wondering what everyone thought of them.

DNick454
05-22-2009, 02:57 AM
It's a '94 BMW 3 series. I used Mighty Putty and Crinkle paint. I caught a lot of ***** for it on the bimmer forums. They're all about OEM looking. I liked it. It totally cracked when i was putting it in cause Mighty Putty *****. **** Billy Mays. This one is gonna look a lot better. Thanks for the compliment by the way.

P.S. What's everyone's opinion of Image Dynamics IDMax 12's. I have 2 in a slot ported and I was wondering what everyone thought of them.

Lawl, all Billy Mays is good for is ending up on youtube and being dubbed over. "Got *** stains on your clothes? Just spray this **** on, and bam, it's gone"

As to the IDMax, that should be a great setup in the car. With a properly tuned box, they should sound crystal clear and get loud while doing it.